Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Maintenance on your truck by the stealership

View Poll Results: Do you trust your stealership?
Absolutely 100% 37 19.37%
Half and half 97 50.79%
They do crappy job 15 7.85%
I would never take it to a stealership because they steal from ME 42 21.99%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #21
tcbe6472 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tommy
tcbe6472's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have enough miles on my truck yet but I do know that I will have the oil changed every 5k miles @ the dealership. The only reason I say this is because it is recorded and will help show proof that the truck was well maintained (try to show proof if you do it yourself) and you have proof that the technician looked at all of the high wear parts such as the brakes every 5k miles and if the brakes all of the sudden are worn down and your rotors are destroyed then you can show them that it couldn't have gotten that bad in less than 5k miles and you have a leg to stand on. Also, since my truck only has less than 1k miles on it, I called the local Discount Tire and bought their warranty for a little over $125.00. This takes care of unlimited tire rotations as well as any damaged / destroyed tire repairs or replacment.
I certainly hope this was helpful info.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #23
CanadianGuy is on a distinguished road

CanadianGuy's Tacoma Gallery
my experiences from toyota dealerships have always been good. when i bought my 08 tacoma used, the seller told me there was a hole in the ac condenser and the ac didnt work. we worked this into the price of the truck. after i bought it i took it in to toyota to get the condenser replaced. they quoted me about $1200 for parts and labor. I asked them to change the oil too. later that day when i picked it up i grabbed my wallet expecting to pay a ton of money but they put the work on warranty for no reason. i paid $50 for a new ac condensor and an oil change. LOL
Old 08-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #24
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbe6472 View Post
I don't have enough miles on my truck yet but I do know that I will have the oil changed every 5k miles @ the dealership. The only reason I say this is because it is recorded and will help show proof that the truck was well maintained (try to show proof if you do it yourself) and you have proof that the technician looked at all of the high wear parts such as the brakes every 5k miles and if the brakes all of the sudden are worn down and your rotors are destroyed then you can show them that it couldn't have gotten that bad in less than 5k miles and you have a leg to stand on. Also, since my truck only has less than 1k miles on it, I called the local Discount Tire and bought their warranty for a little over $125.00. This takes care of unlimited tire rotations as well as any damaged / destroyed tire repairs or replacment.
If you swing by your dealership and pick up the oil plug washers and their inexpensive oil filters your Dealer will have records of that. This is what i plan on doing. Bye your oil when you find it on sell, I am running synthetic and when I had the dealership change it at the first 5k they charged like $9 a quart for synthetic. you can get 5 quarts for $25 at wal mart usually. just read everything you can here at the forum about oil change, DIY maintenance etc...
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #25
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
I actually do trust mine 100%. They don't fuck around at Toyota of Escondido. They are very friendly and straight forward. If something is wrong, they will inform you and then tell you the best way to fix it or they will tell you how much it would cost for them to fix it. It's a very good dealership. They also do quality work.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #26
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
i know a guy at my local dealership so... i will only go there for big stuff tho
Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
My dealer's service bays are surrounded by big windows that can be viewed from the waiting area. The cleaning crew must hate after I've been there, extra Windex please.

I scratch the date of service on to my filter prior to arrival and I mark the wheel weights the same if it's time for the tire rotation.

No problems yet.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbe6472 View Post
Do you really think that the "local Discount Tire" is anymore credible than a dealer- don't bet on it. They are probably worse...
Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #30
tcbe6472 is on a distinguished road
Name: Tommy
tcbe6472's Tacoma Gallery
I've been dealing with the local "Discount Tire" for the last 10 years and have not had a problem yet. In the long run, they will be cheaper than Toyota when it comes to rotating the tires and if I get a nail in my tire they won't charge me $17.00 like my local Toyota Dealer will. I also have an 08 Rav4 Sport with 18" tires and my wife somehow got a screw in the sidewall. Took it to the dealer for replacement and it cost $295.00. A friend told me about the warranty @ Discount Tire and it wouldn't have cost a Penny.. I take it you have had a bad experience with Discount?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #31
TL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to beholdTL697 is a splendid one to behold
TL697's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck b/c my wife has/had a great working relationship w/ the Sales manager (Easy boys... Minds out of the gutter...), and got my truck for bottom dollar w/ 6 yr, 90,000 mile bumper to bumper - no deductible, and free service (oil changes) for 3 years - every 4 months or 5000 miles...

Regardless of what happens, they will "take care" of me... I'm like a VIP...

Usually, I do all the maintenance on my vehicles...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:55 AM   #32
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i trust my stealership 100%, i do admit their prices are a lil high. however i have an outstanding job application there and know all the techs and they know me and my truck, and treat it with respect. at my stealership they actually let me in the bay to watch exactly what they are doing and have helped on several occasions.

i trust them 100% but it varies dealer to dealer, i trust mine, but yet i watch their every move, i have taken it to one where they flushed my brakes, and never cleaned up the brake fluid...fyi brake fluid will eat paint
Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #33
commtrd
commtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedcommtrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
commtrd's Tacoma Gallery
I took my '07 DC in for an oil change at the dealership in Corpus Christi that I bought that truck from. They "said" they were finished with it and pulled it out in front and left the engine running. I got to the truck and noticed a much louder ticking noise. I immediately shut it down and opened the hood to check the oil. THERE WAS NO OIL IN THE CRANKCASE AT ALL!!! I went ballistic and went in to raise hell with those bastards. Got them to print up a complete report on the incident in case I had engine trouble in the future.

Do I take my truck in to the dealer for service? Um I don't think so. Only way that will ever happen is if I have a catastrophic major failure covered under warranty which is not likely to happen. I do all my own maintenance and I don't trust the idiots that work at dealerships. They could give a rats ass about customers' vehicles they are just there to make money rather than provide a cost-effective service solution to the customer.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #34
Manitoulin is on a distinguished road
Manitoulin's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota dealerships are by far the wost service i have ever had. Bring nothing to the dealer. All they did was break stuff and lie, and waste my time. I never wanted to buy new just for that reason. I'll swap the frame in my driveway at -50 before taking to the dealer.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #35
geolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of lightgeolink is a glorious beacon of light

geolink's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicTacOma View Post
My dealer's service bays are surrounded by big windows that can be viewed from the waiting area. The cleaning crew must hate after I've been there, extra Windex please.

I scratch the date of service on to my filter prior to arrival and I mark the wheel weights the same if it's time for the tire rotation.

No problems yet.
x2

Who is looking out for you?
Unless you have a reason to totally trust your service provider you may need to play spy guy, unfortunately.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 AM   #37
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
i took my '07 dc in for an oil change at the dealership in corpus christi that i bought that truck from. They "said" they were finished with it and pulled it out in front and left the engine running. I got to the truck and noticed a much louder ticking noise. I immediately shut it down and opened the hood to check the oil. there was no oil in the crankcase at all!!! i went ballistic and went in to raise hell with those bastards. Got them to print up a complete report on the incident in case i had engine trouble in the future.

Do i take my truck in to the dealer for service? Um i don't think so. Only way that will ever happen is if i have a catastrophic major failure covered under warranty which is not likely to happen. I do all my own maintenance and i don't trust the idiots that work at dealerships. They could give a rats ass about customers' vehicles they are just there to make money rather than provide a cost-effective service solution to the customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitoulin View Post
toyota dealerships are by far the wost service i have ever had. Bring nothing to the dealer. All they did was break stuff and lie, and waste my time. I never wanted to buy new just for that reason. I'll swap the frame in my driveway at -50 before taking to the dealer.
amen!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #38
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
half and half..I took it to the stealer for serious problem like ECU replacement,and such .But for lightly problem I "try" to fix those myself. I don't have luck with those monkey..they're unfriendly,and most of the time they act like I was bothered them...Why pay people to be mean,rude and unfairly....when you have the whole world to deal with everyday?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #39
My other car is a Bugatti
steelerfan7p will become famous soon enough

Name: Yes
Location: Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champions)
steelerfan7p's Tacoma Gallery
Just out of curiousity, I asked them how much it would be for them to install the OEM cruise control. $500!!!!!!!! They told me it was a "steal". Haha
Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #40
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
i voted 100%...just cause a buddy of mines works at Findlay Toyota here in Las Vegas...every time I need servicing, TSB, or anything that I have to bring my truck down to Toyota for...he takes care of it for me...

but if you don't have that leisure...I say do it yourself...just cause that way if anything breaks or fails you got nobody to blame but yourself...at the same time if you do the wrenching and modding by yourself in the end you know the job was done 100% and you get the justification at the end knowing you did all the work yourself...