Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Maintenance on your truck by the stealership

View Poll Results: Do you trust your stealership?
Absolutely 100% 37 19.37%
Half and half 97 50.79%
They do crappy job 15 7.85%
I would never take it to a stealership because they steal from ME 42 21.99%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #41
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
If I have something involving warranty is my only reason to visit there;then I go to my real mechanic to get it checked to make sure it's been done right.I have seen & heard of service scams alot of them run & don't trust any of them no matter their reputation.Think about it;most service jobs at dealerships have a preset time attached to them & if they do it quicker the charge is still the set time,it's how they make money.Therefor,they try to do as many as quickly as possible to make the most profit.The could care less about your vehicle.This has been proven & exsposed on programs like Dateline & 60 Minutes.Best bet is DIY,document the work in your manual & stick your reciepts in there also.If you need proof of care,any real mechanic can tell if it's been well maintained.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #42
lance is on a distinguished road
lance's Tacoma Gallery
just a little fyi, in any mechanics shop or dealership you will never have an actual mechanic changing your oil its always the youngest guy/ apprentice working there, in my case at one point being the youngest apprentice working at a shop, just hope whoevers aoing ur oil change isnt completley incompetent
Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #43
TreyMR2 has a spectacular aura aboutTreyMR2 has a spectacular aura about
TreyMR2's Tacoma Gallery
Well I'm a tech at a dealership down here where I live and I strongly believe its all in the hands of the tech you get. I know some guys that'll almost break their back to get the customers car fixed right(me being one) Lol And I also know some guys that just wanna get their easy hours no matter what. Like use this for an example, we had a highlander come in the other day, guy said it had a strange bump sound. Another tech said he didn't wanna mess with it and blew it off. So I grabbed it cause I needed some hours and drove it, didn't hear the bump. Called the guy asked what kinda roads and conditions he was hearing it on, tried the roads he was saying, still didn't hear the sound. Then got him to ride with me and he said he wasn't hearing it anymore either. So I just spent about 1 1/2-2 hours and didn't make a damn dime off that thing. I still put it on a lift and checked everything out though. The point I'm trying to get is so techs won't even touch it if it sounds like its gonna be a tricky one. You just gotta really talk with the tech to find out what kinda tech it is your getting to look at it.

edit: also lance is right, the only people changing oil are the oil changers or the newest techs if we get really busy. Its not cost effective to have a tech making $24/hour do an oil change. Me and this other guy are the newest techs, we make $14/hour, so we're the "overflow guys" for oil changes. To be completely honest I'd really only trust probably 1-2 of the oil changers to change my oil. And I'd still go back and double check the oil cap and oil level. Lol Not trying to scare anyone just if I where getting mine changed, deff. go over everything when you get it back. Some of them are just complete idiots.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:22 AM   #44
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
I work at a dealership in SoCal and ur right, the guys that do the basic stuff are noobs but the advanced work ALWAYS goes to the advanced techs. Sry to hear about the hubcap it probably flew off and as for the radio it's always a good idea to burn in any piece of electronic equipment when possible. The components that are most likely to fail do so in the first 24 to 30 hours of operation
Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 AM   #45
revhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the roughrevhappyleon is a jewel in the rough

Name: Manny
revhappyleon's Tacoma Gallery
oops i was still on page one sry for the redundancy lol
Old 09-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #46
Turb0wned will become famous soon enough
Name: Joel
Turb0wned's Tacoma Gallery
I worked at a toyota stealership... Trust me if you can do it yourself do.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #47
b168 is on a distinguished road
b168's Tacoma Gallery
I think that dealers should have an open window in the service area, like a big ass glass window so u can see whats goin on on the service area. And crap those statements that if u wanna see how ur truck or cars is being serviced, they would reply 'oh for insurance purposes we cannot alllow u in blah.blah.blah.blah.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #48
I will also say this... This happened while I was working there... Guy comes by saying his window doesn't go down. All it was, was a loose connection on the plug that goes into the switch for the window. They tell the guy its the window motor, charge him for it don't even install the new one instead one of the mechanics keeps it and sells it to someone outside of toyota.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #49
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
All I've gotten done at the dealership so far was to get the 60k mile tuneup.

400 bucks.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
id never take it to the dealership. my minor maintenance i do such as oil changes, spark plugs, all that good stuff. if i needed a mechanic, id just take it to my girlfriend's dad's shop since he has worked on motorcycles and cars his whole life.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:03 PM   #51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
All I've gotten done at the dealership so far was to get the 60k mile tuneup.

400 bucks.
And what exactly did they do?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #52
Be a fountain, not a drain.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0wned View Post
And what exactly did they do?
I'm a VERY ashamed to say this, but I do not know exactly what they did.

They gave me a pamphlet with all the services and tune up intervals between 30, 60, and 90k and said that those services will be performed.

The only thing I've noticed were new wiper blades, an oil change, balance and rotated tires. I'm hoping gear oil and radiator fluid were changed out too, according to the pamphlet.

They took my truck away from me for a whole day, too.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:35 AM   #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
I'm a VERY ashamed to say this, but I do not know exactly what they did.

They gave me a pamphlet with all the services and tune up intervals between 30, 60, and 90k and said that those services will be performed.

The only thing I've noticed were new wiper blades, an oil change, balance and rotated tires. I'm hoping gear oil and radiator fluid were changed out too, according to the pamphlet.

They took my truck away from me for a whole day, too.
Damn.. From what I remember when i worked there was that they changed the oil for sure, there supposed to change the gear oil/auto tranny fluid but I've seen them skip. I think there supposed to change your spark plugs to and what they do with the tires is put the front ones to the back and the back ones to the front. Your also supposed to get an air filter change.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #54
09WhiteTaco4x4 is on a distinguished road

09WhiteTaco4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven65 View Post
Second, I took it in for the first oil change - because it was free. They said the service also called for a tire rotation - which was not free (which is CHEEZY) but I said "sure... go ahead".
Hmm. When I took my truck in for the free oil change, they rotated my tires without charge. I don't know if each dealer has their own deals or what, but it sucks that they charged you for the tire rotation.

You're absolutely correct that each dealer is different. There are definitely some shady dealerships out there that should be avoided. But I don't feel that every dealership is out to screw their customers. So far no complaints about mine...but it's still early.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #55
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
I guess I am lucky my local dealer has pretty damn good service department. The sales department on the other hand will never get my business.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #56
bboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to allbboynowee is a name known to all

bboynowee's Tacoma Gallery
Well before i had my taco...i would always take my saturn for major stuff...but it was always good...I mean they do rape you on the prices but hey, they always gave me a warrantee incase anything happened....also, I never had any problems.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #57
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
My mom has always believed in taking her cars into the dealership and that's what our whole family does now. I don't mind. If something goes wrong, we complain.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 AM   #58
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any complaints so far for my local dealership. They're pretty much friendly and they do the job right, but so far I've only had to take it in for a few oil changes and the rear TSB. No questions asked, always got the truck washed without them asking me, and there's always that paper mat on the floor board and the plastic on the seat so there's not grease or anything on the seats.

But some of these experiences worry the #$@% out of me. I guess I'll just have to be a little more attentive the next time I take it in.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #59
Slowpokeologist
AZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura aboutAZFizik has a spectacular aura about

Name: James
AZFizik's Tacoma Gallery
I'd never let a stealership touch ANY of my vehicles.

I wouldn't let a mechanic touch my wife, why in the hell would I let him touch my ride?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #60
I don't want a large farva!
chiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nicechiefridr is just really nice

chiefridr's Tacoma Gallery
I worked at a large Toyota stealership for 5 years, and I'll tell ya this much, they do do the work but sometimes embellish their time. They get paid by how long it takes them to do a job. If it takes a tech 25 mins to do a job, the tech puts down an hour so that he gets paid more and so does the svc dept, therefore costing Joe Customer more $. It's dept policy in most cases.

If any decent Toyota dealership isn't doing the work, they are opening themselves up for lawsuit city.

With all that said, I take my truck in for warranty stuff only. All other stuff is done myself!