1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why is your Toyota better than my Nissan?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grey Jay, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:03 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    apparently it was just the truck you were looking at, mine had no issues with the window switches, the truck was very sturdy as a whole. any by spending many hours on clubfrontier.org i have never heard anyone complain about any window switch being loose.

And if nissan made a 4cyl that had a little balls that you could get with 4x4 i probably would have bought another.

I love my taco tho !

2. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    They are both good trucks.. I am very Biased, and was faced with the same decision you are now. The Toyota was $3,000 more, and I am frugal. I spend the money when I feel like I am getting the quality. I traded out of the first Tacoma I had in two years to get 4x4.. There is no way I would have been able to do that (have enough equity) with a Frontier without money down. Besides a great truck, the Tacoma is a GREAT value.

3. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Yea maybe, are SE models high pr low on the food chain?

4. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:16 PM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    It goes
    Ext Cab
    Xe I4 only no 4x4
    Se I4 or v-6 No 4x4 with I4

Crew Cab all v6 with 6-sp or auto, 4x4 avail
    Se - value truck package adds Pw,pl,keyless/alarm,alloy wheels
    Le - Luxury Truck (auto headlights, climate control, leather, sunroof, roof rack)
    Nismo - e-Locker, bilstein shocks, avail rockford fosgate stereo (also avail with le)

5. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    uood8

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    It all depends on what fits best for you, there are thousands of people on here who like the tacoma better and thousands on clubfrontier that like the frontier better. This thread could go all day long arguing which is better. Just find out what you like better and what fits your needs, like i said i needed a 4-cyl 4x4 ext cab and nissan doesn't offer it, thats how i ended up with my tacoma. Im happy with it.

6. Aug 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    Ah, gotcha. That SE with the crew cab thing was kinda shitty. I mean even for a truck it was bad. Maybe that one was just built extra crappy. :confused:

7. Aug 17, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    They're both great trucks. For me, the tacoma looked better, has great mod potential, the 4.0L v6 feels a lot snappier than nissan's VQ in the Frontier for some reason, and the the Tacoma comes from a legendary line of everlasting quality. I do like how the Frontier has a boxed frame and some of the other options, but in the end of the day after driving both, the Tacoma won hands down in drivability for me. It's a personal preference, really all there is to it. Also to note, I came from an infiniti G35 with the VQ35DE (300hp 6MT). The Tacoma isn't that quick, but it still puts a smile on my face when I punch it...

8. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I came from an Altima 3.5SE which was a piece of garbage other than the engine. Gone at 28K after many trips to the dealer for trans problems and other various issues. I haven't been back to the dealer once with the Tacoma, though I do need to get the rear TSB done. I didn't even consider the Frontier because my buddy has one which I have driven and I hate it. He hates it and always wants to drive my truck.

9. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    welcome to tw! if your lving in sudbury, you should just drive a damn beater!!! especially if you live downtown or in new sudbury!!!

10. Aug 17, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    DrRabbitFurHead

DrRabbitFurHead Yeah, there's a TSB for that!

Member:
    Salem, VA
    Vehicle:
    X-treme Off Road Edition (4x4)
    Icon Extended Travel Coil Overs, Fox Rear Resi 8-Way Adjustable Shocks, Light Racing UCA's, OME Rear Leafs, M/T Classic Locks 17x9, Nitto T/G (285/70/R17), 5mm Billet Aluminum Spacers, Demello Sliders, All Pro Front Plate Bumper & IFS Skid Plate, PIAA 510's, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, O2 sims, Rear Timbren's & U-Bolt Flip Kit , 3* Rear Axel Shims, Extended Rear Brake Lines, 48" Hi-Lift with a ton of accessories, Wet Okoles, TRD bed mat, Borla Air Filter, Garmin Nuvi 765T, Viper 5901 remote start, 50% tint.
    Coming from an Infiniti G35 coupe I decided to test drive both the Nissan and Toyota and thought I'd end up with the Nissan Frontier. It has way more options, leather, sun roof, steering wheel controls, and on and on... BUT after owning the Infiniti, the interior build quality was something I was SICK of! When test driving the Nissan, I knew to check things like the gas cap (cheap, flimsy piece of junk that vibrated when the doors closed), interior and exterior fit and finish were not up to par and the plastic interior pieces were VERY low quality, etc...
    I had so many "toys" that I could have added to the Frontier too, KP Technologies remote control window module and the KP Technologies remote sun roof module are two that I remember. Even though it seemed like I got fewer options with the Tacoma for the same price, I just couldn't get past the inferior build quality that I'd come to expect from Nissan/Infiniti. Take a good hard look at the two, try to be as objective as you can and there will be a good chance that you'll switch over to Toyota... I did and I have absolutely NO REGRETS... :cool:

11. Aug 17, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    Raven65

Raven65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camden, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 Magnetic Gray Reg Cab 5-Lug
    Curt hitch, D-rings, bed mat
    I've owned several Datsuns/Nissans over the years and always had GREAT luck with them - but ever since 1999 when they were on the verge of bankruptcy and formed an alliance with Renault, they've gone downhill quality-wise. Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn was appointed chief operating officer of Nissan at that time and is credited with pulling off one of the most drastic corporate turnarounds in history for bringing Nissan back to profitability. How do you think he did that? Lot's of positive process improvements - but also some severe cost cutting. I read an article about it back then in which he was quoted saying things like "Nissans are over-engineered" and "why do you need a door handle that will last 20 years"... stuff like that. Shortly after that, their interiors went to hell and you started hearing lots of reports of poor build quality... and then recalls. I think they've learned from that and rebounded back in the right direction somewhat the last few years, but I still don't quite trust them yet. Toyotas are not perfect... far from it... but I just felt better about buying one over a Nissan.

12. Aug 17, 2009 at 6:22 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    It sounds like you had an 04 or less :p Mine didn't have nearly those issues, though I will say the pass door handle did uh, er, literally fall off. :spy:

13. Aug 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Buy it over here.

I'm about 1/2 hour out of Buffalo and there are plenty to choose from.

14. Aug 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T R O Y
    WY/SD
    Vehicle:
    #3, 2015 SR AC 4x4 V6 6 speed
    shackle brace, rear sway bar, 3 gen seats, Coupe Shifter, 3rd gen OR front springs + shocks, 17" TuRD PRO replica wheels
    I think most people on here looked at the Nissans when they were looking to buy their trucks. I actually like the looks of the Nissan just a little better than the tacoma but the thing that did it for me was the interior. Everything just felt like it was in the right spot. On the Nissan I had to hunt for the window switch and the door handle and so on. And I drove both several times and everytime I got in the Nissan it just felt odd. The final straw was when I was looking at a Double Cab and I looked over my left shoulder backing up and almost smacked the oh crap handle for the back door with my face, just seemed like horrible placement.
    Even the salesman at the Nissan dealership said I would like the Tacoma better and that the only advantage the Frontier had over them was that they were cheaper.
    As far as all the little gadgets that the Frontier comes with, to me that's just more stuff to go wrong.

15. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    First of all on behalf of us JAPS? I'd like to say F-U! Maybe a Dumbass like yourself should stay with the NISMO.

Secondly, Welcome to TW.:rolleyes:

16. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Justin723

Justin723 Dont judge me

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix AZ
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma TRD
    Performance- bored .20 over, Doug Thorely Headers, Magnaflow Exhaust, and K&N cold air intake. Exterior- Trail Gear Solid Axle Swap, ARB compressor, high pinion 4.88 with ARB locker, 4.88 TRD Locker in the rear. Interior- 2 10inch JL W1 subs, Alpine MRX-V70 amp, Alpine type R SPR 17C 6x6 speaker in the back, Focal 165 VR with crossover tweeter up front, and Weather Tech floor mats.
    Most tacomas are being made in america anyways.... just saying

17. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:25 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I made the switch from Nissan to Toyota. The only thing I miss is the Frontier's steel bed, but I couldn't deal with the transmission problems, engine overheating, power steering leaks, etc. After my third Frontier (was a hardcore nissanman) I was done. My dad is still a hardcore Nissanman and my cuz drives a Ridgeline, you should hear us arguing at the family dinners.

18. Aug 17, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    I had a 2004 Titan and a 2006 Frontier but it was not the Capt. Nemo model. Also had 3 Tundras and 2 Tacomas since 2000.

Now I have a 2009 DC-SB, TRD, OR Tacoma and I love it. IMO, The 2006 Frontier had a better tailgate, steel bed and the chassis seemed stronger.

I liked that 2006 Frontier, but I like my Taco a little better. Can't really explain why ... the Taco just feels better in some ways.

SOS

19. Aug 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    From what I've noticed it seems that Nissan is selling the Frontier line out to Suzuki and getting out of the truck business. maybe one more reason to move over to Toyota trucks...

20. Aug 17, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I have had 2 Nissans: 2005 Armada and 2008 Armada. Both were lemons and purchased back by Nissan. Nice looking vehicles with all the bells and whistles but the quality was HORRIBLE for a 45k SUV!

The quality, capability and resale value of Toyota can't be touched by Nissan.

Products Discussed in

To Top