Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD vs. SR5 worth the extra money

Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Willie
vtragweed's Tacoma Gallery
TRD vs. SR5 worth the extra money

selling my 2008 2.7 4x4 and getting either a 09' or 10' double cab 4.0. this is where i need yalls help, is the TRd sport or off-road worth the extra cost compared to the sr5. the truck will mainly be used for travel, hunting, hauling small loads and just nights out on town.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
do you plan on upgrading the shocks? if so then you dont need the trd shocks

do you need a locker? if so go for the off road

do you like the hood scoop? if so go with a sport
Old 08-17-2009, 02:52 PM   #3
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I would think that the rear locker alone on the Off Road model is worth it in the long run when it comes to resale. My numbers might be a little off but a aftermarket locker is going to be close to 1500, and you know the Toyota one is a proven performer.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
To me the Sport was worth it over the SR5. I like the color key bumpers and mirrors. I love the steering wheel controls and 6 disk cd player. I like the seats better, love the feeling of the suspension and really love the hood scoop. If I were to add these things on afterwords, I'm sure the cost would have been much higher.

It's well worth it too me. Factoring in the financing it doesn't make the monthy payments too much higher. If these things aren't as important to you, just get the Sr5.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
Run the numbers... I think the trd... sport package is $3250... I didn't get a TRD because I didn't think an LSD and non-functional hood school was worth $3250...

oh and I think toyota tries to price those sport wheels at like $2000.... gimme a break
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post

do you need a locker? if so go for the off road

do you like the hood scoop? if so go with a sport

x2

I had it to do all over again and went from Pre-Runner SR5 to 4x4 TRD OFFROAD.. happy with the change, wish I started with the 4x4 to begin with. GET WHAT YOU WANT!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Beef Slut
vtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shedvtragweed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
thank you gents
Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
bradu81 will become famous soon enoughbradu81 will become famous soon enough
bradu81's Tacoma Gallery
i got an 08 4x4 SR5 and the suspension TSB and am really happy with it. Didn't really need the locker as i had one on the 4runner and used it only a few times in 10 years. From what i understand the SR5 w/the TSB is the same as the sport without the cosmetic enhancements.
Good luck with your decision
Old 08-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
as of 09' the sr5 and base models come with trd shocks anyways
Old 08-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post
really didnt know that if thats the case it should just come with the tsb done
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth the extra money to me. That is why I chose the SR5. I tow a boat, use it for yard work, travel & my daily driver.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I dont buy the TRD, because I know Im pulling the suspension off, and I will get my own LSD or locker. I dont notice the difference in the seats, I dont need an outlet in the bed. id rather spend the saved money on a better suspension.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
Beef Slut

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I dont buy the TRD, because I know Im pulling the suspension off, and I will get my own LSD or locker. I dont notice the difference in the seats, I dont need an outlet in the bed. id rather spend the saved money on a better suspension.
where you been at chris, ive been waiting for you to chime in
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtragweed View Post
where you been at chris, ive been waiting for you to chime in
Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttylerr View Post

I have a 2009 sr5 pre runner and do not have the trd shocks on mine. when the tsb is done on sr5 models the shocks are part of the tsb package and are bilstein shocks just like on trd and sport models. if the tsb is done on trd and sport models the shocks are left alone and are not changed
Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I pondered the same thing prior to buying my 09.
For the cost of the sport and trd upgrades i didnt feel it was worth it.
the SR5 packages give you most of what you need, and for 2-3k more i can get nicer rims and tires.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM   #18
thomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the roughthomasr1950 is a jewel in the rough
Army:
thomasr1950's Tacoma Gallery
I got the TRD sport. I tried to add the things like wheels to the SR5 pkg. & other items that are standard with TRD & it would have cost me more. Not sure about the seats being better, i just like the TRD Sport better. Compare what you want on your Tacoma & compare it to the TRD sport. See how much difference there is in cost. You may not need everything the TRD sport has, if so stay with the SR5.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #19
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkeller View Post
I say get the trd. Seats are comfy too. You will get more money when you sell it too.
I never understand why people make this argument. You're also paying more which includes the interest you'll be paying on that package. Just doesn't seem to be a valid argument for buying it, IMO.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Old Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shedOld Soul is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old Soul's Tacoma Gallery
^ yeah, pay more up front for trd sport and it sells for more than sr5. But the great thing about the tacos is they hold their value so the price paid now for an sr5 and the value later on for the sr5 would be comparable to the trd sport unless of course the trd sport is in higher demand, thereby increasing the value over the sr5 .