1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Locking storage compartment under back seat.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by DCWeaver, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Aug 18, 2009 at 8:57 AM
    DCWeaver

DCWeaver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport
    Shrockworks full front bumper replacement, Mile Marker winch, bug deflector, vent shades, black tube steps, UWS black tool box, limmo tint, TRD seat covers, Tacoma rubber floor mats under Husky Liners, CB radio/PA system, Kenwood DNX5120 DVD, Nav., Bluetooth, removed all four mud flaps
    Has anybody tried to replace the knobs on the compartments underneath the back seat with locks? My shotgun happens to fit perfectly under there and I would like for it to be a bit more secure. Any suggestions?

2. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:07 AM
    djs05tacoma

djs05tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab TRD offroad 4x4
    3" OME Lift, 285's
    The lids seem kinda flimsy, I'd imagine if someone broke in to your truck and was going through the bins under the back seat they would be able to just pry them up with a screw driver, even if you did have a lock on there. Might be more trouble than its worth. But I feel you, I can get my shotgun and my 22 to fit just about perfect in those bins.

3. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    There was a post a few days back about someone that changed the locks out on the rear storage bins in the bed... it'd be virtually the same procedure (I was looking for it but I'm coming up blank, my after work search skills are failing).

But yea, it would be easy to get in there, but at least it'd be a deterrent if you had kids/friends sitting in the back to try and get in. I'd still have a lock on the trigger...

4. Aug 18, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    X2.......but if you want to go ahead and do it, you can find a lock set at Sears (Craftsman area). Same locks they use for the storage chests. Used on of mine to do a lock mod in the bed......:)

5. Aug 18, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    DCWeaver

DCWeaver [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Anniston, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD Sport
    Shrockworks full front bumper replacement, Mile Marker winch, bug deflector, vent shades, black tube steps, UWS black tool box, limmo tint, TRD seat covers, Tacoma rubber floor mats under Husky Liners, CB radio/PA system, Kenwood DNX5120 DVD, Nav., Bluetooth, removed all four mud flaps
    I appreciate the advice. I'll keep ya'll posted on what I end up doing.

6. Aug 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    if the lock is anything like the one on the bed compartments, then it can be done. Anything is possible, just depends on how much work you wanna put into it.

Products Discussed in

To Top