1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ATV hauling with tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CWtreks, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Dec 30, 2007 at 5:56 PM
    CWtreks

CWtreks [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm thinking about buying a Tacoma to haul an ATV. But here's the twist. I want to modify the Tacoma to do hardcore trails with the ATV in the back. I know the Tundra would have more room for the ATV (I have a big one, Suzuki King Quad 700), however, a Tundra is too big for the trails.

I know the ATV would not fit between the wheel wells of a Tocoma and it would stick out the back, but I don't care about that. What i don't know is if I could haul it safely while doing difficult trails like Golden Spike in Moab.

I've never seen a Tacoma hauling an ATV, even on the highway. Makes me wonder why.

Someone can ride the ATV and when we get to end of trail, throw it in the back and drive on the highway.

If you've hauled a big ATV in a Tacoma, I'd love to see a picture of how it fits.

I'm leaving tomorrow for vacation and won't be getting any messages for 2 weeks. I'm hoping when I get back, I'll have a few replies.

Appreciate any help. Thanks

CWTreks

2. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:21 PM
    Eugene

Eugene Member

Member:
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    none
    I don't have pictures of my Tacoma with ATV (dont have ATV :)), but I've seen ATVs on the back of Tacomas more that couple times here in Calgary. I am a surveyor and for work we are using 1-tonne trucks to carry 2 atvs on the deck. I know it is different, but we're never taking the truck with ATV on top on rough trails. If it seems rough for a truck, we just drop ATVs and off we go.

Is pulling a trailer an option?

P7220105 - Copy.jpg

3. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:29 PM
    CWtreks

CWtreks [OP] New Member

Member:
    Eugene,

Well, at least that's a start. I wouldn't be the first to haul and ATV in a Tacoma. I didn't think so, but I just haven't seen it done yet.

When a trail gets too difficult to haul an ATV, if I took the ATV off the truck, the trail would likely be too difficult to ride the ATV as the truck moved forward.

Using a trailer is not a good option. I already do that with my jeep.

Thank

4. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:00 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    I wish i would have known i just took mine out.. Its is a Yamaha Moto 4 350

Not a big quad but has a front and rear rack. it barely fits but it does and the tail gate closes....

I would not haul ANYTHING on these tailgates unless you get a GATERSAVER from Seth off TN to make teh tailgate stronger... i guess a lot of people have bent thiers from loading their bikes in...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174293&highlight=gater

check that out for more info... a picture of a big quad (that would not fit showing the gater saver's strength.)

Ha ha... thats gonna fit...
    [​IMG]

5. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:34 PM
    CWtreks

CWtreks [OP] New Member

Member:
    Jonson8537,

I'm confused. The picture doesn't match the message. This looks like a shortbed truck, too.

6. Dec 30, 2007 at 7:43 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Treks,

I have a Suzuki Z400 ... not as big as yours but I have the 6 ft bed and it fits with room to spare. I am going riding Tuesday so I will take some pics to share

7. Dec 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    He's not loading the ATV... He's showing that the tailgate can now SUPPORT that kind of weight without catastrophic failure like these tailgates are prone too.

Get a gater saver like posted above, or manually reinforce the tailgate. Read through this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/4838-cheap-free-mods.html

In addition to solving the weak tailgate issue, you NEED a lift, weak leaf spring TSB, or new leaf pack. The stock rear leafs MIGHT support an ATV on the road, but I guarantee they will bottom out on the trail. But if you're planning on some major offroading you should be planning a lift or better suspension anyway. I'd go with Dakar leafs in the back. They give lift and have a higher load rating than Deavers from what I've read.

8. Dec 31, 2007 at 4:29 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I have never tried to haul my King Quad in our `01 Dbl Cab,I`m glad to get a heads up about the tailgate issue though. I have measured the box and think the ATV would fit if I left the back end on the tailgate.I will first have to use the tie down anchor addition and tailgate mod found in piercedtigers cheap/free mods thread.Thanks

9. Dec 31, 2007 at 5:43 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    You welcome! Does your 01 have the composite bed? And composite tailgate cover? Just asking since I thought the 01-04's still had all steel. Our 05+ trucks have a composite bed and tailgate cover so the tailgates are really weak. If you have a steel tailgate I don't know if you could open it to reinforce it. Or if you would need to.

You can use ramps too. Ramps help distribute the weight, and maybe a piece of wood over the tailgate if the wheels ride on it. Most of the bent tailgates I've seen are from bikes riding up the center of the tailgate.

With that said, I wasn't taking any chances with mine! I could sit or stand on it and feel it flex. I only weigh around 150 so you can see my concern. Since my mods the tailgate doesn't flex so it definitely wasn't the cables like people have mentioned in the past.

10. Jan 1, 2008 at 7:32 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    My `01 is all steel,maybe I won`t have any issues..I didn`t realise the tailgate issue was because of being composite construction.I dont have any ramps yet because after buying the ATV I came across a good buy on a trailer,would be nice to have the option of just going with the truck.Congrats on your gift cert. Well deserved

11. Jan 1, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! I would trailer it honestly.... I've loaded a lawn mower in the back and it's a pain in the ass.... :rolleyes: Ramps slide, mowing deck hangs up on the top edge.... ATV might be easier, but you have a trailer.... use it... :laugh:

Get a set of ramps, or make your own for the rare occasion you'd use them. I made one out of a 4'x8' 3/4" piece of plywood. Cut in half lengthwise, 2 heavy door hinges, and some 2x4's along the center for support. Works great, was free, but it slides too much. I need some sort of lip to hook over the tailgate.

The tailgates are still metal, but the inside panel is this composite/plastic/fiberglass like crap (if you haven't seen one) instead of the normal shaped steel. The tailgates were buckling in the center due the top edge literally collapsing. I'd show you pics, but all the ones i used to know about have disappeared. Toyota has released 2 different TSB's for the 05+ to fix it. The second one finally replaces the whole damn tailgate with a redesigned one.

12. Jan 1, 2008 at 8:14 AM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    My trailer does work good,only problem is I`ve never been a, "Trailering Kind of Guy",I can maneuver fine and all,just dont care for it but am getting more ok with it.Used to have some nice homemade ramps but let my old neighbor keep them when I moved..76 year old guy that used them often for his riding mower.

13. Jan 1, 2008 at 8:30 AM
    2003greenbean

2003greenbean Carolina Alliance Costal Div

Member:
    socaste,sc
    Vehicle:
    03 trd
    cold air intake, step bars, custom grill, 3in lift,12 in audiobahn sub, 285/75/16 procomp tires, 20% tint,
  14. Jan 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    just loaded it up again...

Yamaha Moto4 350

15. Jan 5, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    05yota

05yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beaufort SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab Long Bed
    Alpine IVA-W205 Double din TV, 10in Memphis shallow mount sub, Rockford Amp, 23in Akuza Bounce Rims!!!
    i just hauled a honda 4x4 atv fri night and my truck hauled it fine and i have 23in rims on my truck but i have the long bed. just be careful. the damn thing went through my rear windshield.

16. Jan 5, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    Damn! that sucks... I was always worried about that when I haul mine so I alway make sure I block the front so it can't role/slide forward.

Products Discussed in

To Top