LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who does your oil changes?

View Poll Results: Best place to get your oil changed at ?
The dealership 593 21.36%
Jiff Lube type place 189 6.81%
Your self 1,994 71.83%
Voters: 2776. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #41
seligman will become famous soon enoughseligman will become famous soon enough
seligman's Tacoma Gallery
Doing it yourself ensures the oil AND filter are good quality. Don't forget that filter quality matters too. Believe it or not, Walmart's generic oil filters are great quality...better than most name brands.

I swear the "oil" used by Jiffy Lube and maybe the dealerships is shit-colored orange juice.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #42
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
I only take it to the dealer cause for $10 a month for the term of my auto loan I will get free oil changes for life from any lithia stealership. But so far the have over serviced it twice now. Not happy. If they do it again, im going to just do it myself from then on.
FYI... if you're paying $10/month, it's not free.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #43
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Another vote for DIY.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
My humble opinion is that it is asinine to pay for oil changes. It's not rocket surgery.

Anyway, I have Krazie SJ do my oil changes.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #45
NorCal
CyberTron is a name known to allCyberTron is a name known to allCyberTron is a name known to allCyberTron is a name known to allCyberTron is a name known to allCyberTron is a name known to all

CyberTron's Tacoma Gallery
I like doing my own oil change so I know what goes in. My wife does her own oil change as well
Old 08-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #46
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Chris4x4 was the last person that did it and he was showing me the ropes so I will be doing it next time...
Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #47
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
My humble opinion is that it is asinine to pay for oil changes. It's not rocket surgery.

Anyway, I have Krazie SJ do my oil changes.
I got him to show me the first time... Now I can do my own with just a blowtorch and three tow straps.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #48
seligman will become famous soon enoughseligman will become famous soon enough
seligman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt_truong View Post
I like doing my own oil change so I know what goes in. My wife does her own oil change as well
That's hot.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #49
Hi
dysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the sheddysfunctnlretard is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Manny
dysfunctnlretard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Myself, now that I know not to drain my transmission.
lol. I almost did the same thing. Put my socket wrench on the nut, began turning and then said...."wait a minute...."
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #51
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws4ua View Post
I got him to show me the first time... Now I can do my own with just a blowtorch and three tow straps.
Did you remember to deflate all 4 tires too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunctnlretard View Post
lol. I almost did the same thing. Put my socket wrench on the nut, began turning and then said...."wait a minute...."
Yeah I just cranked it and said, wait a minute...followed by actually waiting a minute, then I capped it again and checked my hands for the colour and said "Fuck me with a stolen dick."

This was quickly followed by much mocking on TW.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #52
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedlesbrmstkbass View Post
because it costs $90 at jiffy lube and the stealership doesn't use synthetic
The cheapest I found them for at a shop was for $70. Well I called up Chris4x4 and he showed me what to do. Cost about $30-35 total to do the oil change.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 AM   #56
Deuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeuxdiesel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Deuxdiesel's Tacoma Gallery
I just did mine at 10,000 miles. The best part was the catch pan slid right underneath with about 1/2" to spare, so it caught every last drop. I chose to do my own because when I bought the truck 2 months ago as a demo with 7,900 miles, there was no history of the oil change written in the book, but they ASSURE me that it was done. This is the same dealership that delivered the truck with 45 PSI in the rear tires, and 42 in the fronts, clearly over-inflated even by the sidewall standards. The "ultimate oil change" thread is all you need, and the drip hose under the filter (4.0) is awesome. One question- all the filters at my FLAPS were about 3/4" shorter than stock- any problems with this?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #57
chrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchrisman8995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chrisman8995's Tacoma Gallery
Do mine in the garage along with my gf's, moms both sisters and grandmother...think i need a sign on my garage. Express oil change wants $45 for a 4 qt honda oil change reg 10w30 and $90 for the taco with synthetic BLEND
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #58
Kysport is on a distinguished road
Army: Delta 11-4
Kysport's Tacoma Gallery
I enjoy doing my own oil and filter changes. I put on the Fumoto drain valve. Could not be any easier.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #59
TRD-Reaper is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
TRD-Reaper's Tacoma Gallery
DIY, on all the vehicles I've had. Why waste the money?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #60
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Got my case of Amsoil 0w-30 and my new Wix filters yesterday. Going to go after it this weekend.

I am planning on doing a tire rotate as well. I am taking it somewhere for the tire rotation as I am going to switch the white letters around to black wall.

I am right at 5000 miles, is there anything else I need to do on the first service besides oil?

Products Discussed in this Thread