Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who does your oil changes?

View Poll Results: Best place to get your oil changed at ?
The dealership 595 21.40%
Jiff Lube type place 190 6.83%
Your self 1,996 71.77%
Voters: 2781. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #701
WPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWPDAWG11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WPDAWG11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsenordave View Post
Don't drain your transmission fluid(it happens more often then you would think) & get a catch can for below the filter housing...
Really? I have been around many different vehicle. Is the oil pan plug and tranny that close?
Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #702
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
On the 4.0 they are close enough that it can be mistaken...
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #703
Zilla has a spectacular aura aboutZilla has a spectacular aura about
Name: snah
Zilla's Tacoma Gallery
Myself
Old 04-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #704
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
I do it myself... I know that everything has been changed, at the correct levels, and the drain bolt has been properly torqued...
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #705
esse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedesse10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

esse10's Tacoma Gallery
diy

I wouldn't deny myself of that PLEASURE, of course I do it myself. Save money, know it's done right, torqued correctly, filled up to the correct mark. That's the first thing I did when I brought my truck home after purchasing it used, change the oil that same day.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #706
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
DIY oil changes

Do all cars and trucks myself.
Ive had 2 bad experiences at 2 dealerships at 2 different brands (not toyota).
I use shell rotella t6 full synthetic and fram xtra or tough guard every 5K.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 AM   #707
edm3rd will become famous soon enoughedm3rd will become famous soon enough
Name: Duke
edm3rd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPDAWG11 View Post
Fixing to do my first taco oil change. I am converting from regular oil to mobile 1. I always changed my oil on my blazer any tricks to a taco?
If it is the very first oil change, you may have trouble getting the old filter off - apparently no one lubes the filter gasket at the factory when the engine is built. Have had no problem on 8 oil changes since - hand tight with filter gasket oiled.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #708
Friends dont let friends drive stock
demontacoma is on a distinguished road
Navy: Ordnance
Name: Esteban
demontacoma's Tacoma Gallery
the dealership only because i have a 2012 with 75,000 free maintenance plan. once that is done will do myself. only 50,000+ miles to go
Old 05-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #709
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
i do it myself cuz i dont ever trust anyone to touch my truck.
ditto. had some bad experiences with the the dealer service.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #710
mullet is on a distinguished road

mullet's Tacoma Gallery
I do it myself. Not a big fan of picking my truck up and having grease/oil on the steering wheel and door handle.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #711
User 'n at
slvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JD
slvrbullet13's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer does mine until they stop being free...
Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #713
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Humans
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #715
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullet13 View Post
The dealer does mine until they stop being free...
The dealer did mine a few times. Had the free 25k mile maint plan when I bought the truck. Got sick of sitting at the dealership for over an hour each time I took it in (I think they do that shit on purpose) only to find out they never check the air filter, cabin filter, and half the time didn't rotate the tires even though they were supposed to and checked on the paperwork that they did. I would mark the tires before I went in just to make sure and half the time they didn't. I finally just said fuck it and did it myself. This way I know it is done correctly and I can put Mobil 1 Syn in it and know that it is in there. I trust my work more than anyone else's

Just bought a Scion FRS with the "free" maint program but I doubt I'll ever take it in unless it needs warranty work. I just keep a log of what I do and the dates along with my owners manual.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #716
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
The dealer did mine a few times. Had the free 25k mile maint plan when I bought the truck. Got sick of sitting at the dealership for over an hour each time I took it in (I think they do that shit on purpose) only to find out they never check the air filter, cabin filter, and half the time didn't rotate the tires even though they were supposed to and checked on the paperwork that they did. I would mark the tires before I went in just to make sure and half the time they didn't. I finally just said fuck it and did it myself. This way I know it is done correctly and I can put Mobil 1 Syn in it and know that it is in there. I trust my work more than anyone else's

Just bought a Scion FRS with the "free" maint program but I doubt I'll ever take it in unless it needs warranty work. I just keep a log of what I do and the dates along with my owners manual.
Unfortunately the dealerships try to save money by having the maintenance techs do the oil changes and such. Paying their high dollar techs to do oil changes leaves zero profit. This means that you have the same quality guys at jiffy lube doing that stuff a lot of the time.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #717
Saw things so much clearer once you were in my....
RearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shedRearViewMirror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: IAFF Local 34 Professional Firefighters
Name: Craig Christ
RearViewMirror's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Unfortunately the dealerships try to save money by having the maintenance techs do the oil changes and such. Paying their high dollar techs to do oil changes leaves zero profit. This means that you have the same quality guys at jiffy lube doing that stuff a lot of the time.
No doubt about that^^^

When you pull up to the "express" oil change lane and the oldest person in there is maybe mid 20's you know what you are going to get. The "Free" just isn't worth it to me. I would rather pay my $30 for the oil and filter and do it myself. I know that it is done right then. Plus I enjoy wrenching on my own stuff. I started working on cars in my Grandfathers garage when I was 14 rebuilding engines.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #718
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the quick lube techs at the dealership suck. The last dealership I worked at had several top notch ones who were training for tech positions. But that being said, the young and dumb do tend to get careless at times and are pushed to get things out fast. Speed=something getting missed. My 4 stalls were right next to the quick lube racks, and I can't count the number of times I was between jobs and had to point out that they missed checking this or that.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #719
savedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shedsavedone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerald
savedone's Tacoma Gallery
For the first 25K or 2 years the dealership since it is free.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:50 AM   #720
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Just started doing my own. Had the dealer doing it for a while as I wasn't confident in doing it. After a few fuck ups, and them not doing shit they were suppose to, a little search on TW, and bam got all the fluids changed my self (difs, transfer case, engine oil).

Defiantly saved a shit ton of money, and I know that the work was done as well.

Products Discussed in this Thread