LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who does your oil changes?

View Poll Results: Best place to get your oil changed at ?
The dealership 593 21.36%
Jiff Lube type place 189 6.81%
Your self 1,994 71.83%
Voters: 2776. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #741
Dogs & cats, living together! Mass hysteria!
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
He's in Canada... they are not protected by Magnusson Moss and there may be issues.
Good catch. I keep forgetting they finally got the Internet up there.

There may be a similar burden of proof on the manufacturer in Canada, but I'll let one of our Northern friends look into that.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #742
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

That come with a happy ending?
OT, but a friend pays $275 for an oil change on his Porsche. Yet another reason I told him to buy an S2000.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #743
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
OT, but a friend pays $275 for an oil change on his Porsche. Yet another reason I told him to buy an S2000.
That's $200 more dumb
Old 05-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #744

Quote:
That's $200 more dumb
So it would seem to the uneducated.

I've since learned that only special Porsche oil is used, stored in champagne bottles formerly owned by Louis XIV. The filter body is hewn from a billet of Porscheanium (imported from Moria), and the filter media is woven of the darkest hairs of the blackest horse in Stuttgart. All Porsche Lubrication Artists are the result of pre-natal genetic enhancement, capable of performing instant UOAs by taste.

BITOG members refer to used Porsche oil as The Precious. It is not available in new or used form to anyone outside the Porsche family, although it has been suggested that used Porsche oil powers the Rainbow Warrior III, thus making it an emission-free vessel; the sails are just for show.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #745
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Turner View Post
Exactly... I just bought a FRS with the "free" 25k maint program. They said to not bring it in until 7500 miles. Fuck that shit! At 5k I'm going to put syn Mobil 1 in it. I'll probably add the wheels and tires at this time so rotating the stock ones won't be an issue I've already put the Invidia Cat Back Exhaust on it.

They have to stick to the schedule. They blew you off and you let them get away with it. I would make them look up the schedule and show me where it says 7500... That's right it doesn't.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #746
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
They have to stick to the schedule. They blew you off and you let them get away with it. I would make them look up the schedule and show me where it says 7500... That's right it doesn't.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #747

I don't see any OCI information, but I wonder what the Brake Fluid Change Deniers would make of that? BTW, if B. Turner bought an AT version, I'll be very disappointed.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #748
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No surprise.

Before Toyota redesigned the dash displays to include the [strike]oil life[/strike] 5000-mile countdown timer, my '03 Tundra called for 7500 normal or 5000 severe.
That was with conventional. It's no surprise they are going back to 7500, assuming the FRS is getting synthetic.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #749
cowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant future

Name: Brandi
cowgirlrideon's Tacoma Gallery
At this point the dealership does. I get em free for two years so might as well let them. After time expires I will be doin them though.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlrideon View Post
At this point the dealership does. I get em free for two years so might as well let them. After time expires I will be doin them though.
Use a paint pen to put an identifying mark discreetly on your oil filter to be sure they are doing the job.
Had more than a few members do this and discover they were not getting the service they were paying for.

Not just the dealership... goes for any time the oil is being changed by someone other than yourself.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #751
cowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant futurecowgirlrideon has a brilliant future

Name: Brandi
cowgirlrideon's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Use a paint pen to put an identifying mark discreetly on your oil filter to be sure they are doing the job.
Had more than a few members do this and discover they were not getting the service they were paying for.

Not just the dealership... goes for any time the oil is being changed by someone other than yourself.
Lol I was stuck in the waitin room the whole time so I watch everything they did except for the free car wash. (i brought it to them covered in mud)
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #752
JHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant futureJHG57 has a brilliant future

Name: James
JHG57's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership simply because it is paid for by Toyota for the first 2 years.
Old 06-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #753
jvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shedjvswaim is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
jvswaim's Tacoma Gallery
My cousin has changed the oil for the last 10 yrs at a small town 2 bay service station.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:19 PM   #754
Pearcem87 will become famous soon enough
Marines:
Pearcem87's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned a lot of off road vehicles and cars, and my dad has owned even more. Out of Rovers (60's-2000's), Jeeps, BMW, Acura, Dodge, and Ford, the Tacoma by far has the best designed set-up for ease of use on oil change. Really smart and well thought-out. I will be doing all of my oil changes myself.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #756
06yfz450ridr is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
06yfz450ridr's Tacoma Gallery
DIY last time i went to do a change at jify lube they charged me like 65+ bucks for an oil change with semi synthetic and 5+ quarts. never again will i do that, i can do 3 changes for that as well as quicker than they did
Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #757
rdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shedrdm197aps is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: Officer
Name: Rick
rdm197aps's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So it would seem to the uneducated.

I've since learned that only special Porsche oil is used, stored in champagne bottles formerly owned by Louis XIV. The filter body is hewn from a billet of Porscheanium (imported from Moria), and the filter media is woven of the darkest hairs of the blackest horse in Stuttgart. All Porsche Lubrication Artists are the result of pre-natal genetic enhancement, capable of performing instant UOAs by taste.

BITOG members refer to used Porsche oil as The Precious. It is not available in new or used form to anyone outside the Porsche family, although it has been suggested that used Porsche oil powers the Rainbow Warrior III, thus making it an emission-free vessel; the sails are just for show.

hahah, thats awesome. You give them $275, and they take it to the Quick Lube around the corner...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #758

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdm197aps View Post
hahah, thats awesome. You give them $275, and they take it to the Quick Lube around the corner...
Although the price is incredibly high, I'm sure Porsche dealerships do all of their oil changes in their shop. If an anal P car owner found The Precious at a Quick Lube, they'd scream, sue, and call in an air strike.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #759
Marc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearcem87 View Post
the Tacoma by far has the best designed set-up for ease of use on oil change. Really smart and well thought-out. I will be doing all of my oil changes myself.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #760
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IIRC ... ie... my old 1997 C4-S ... 993/911 ... took 12 qts. of synthetic and 2 separate oil filters and the stock units took the same.

Some of the other heavier RUF conversions took as many and 18 qts. of synthetic and had 4 separate oil filters ...

Plus Porsche charges a premium for everything from hourly labor to the stock parts. Small *"front wind blade" costs over $125.00 wholesale and it looked like a long windshield wiper. (*that small piece of rubber you tear on the front on curbs when parking too close)

Products Discussed in this Thread