1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who does your oil changes?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ydoow, Aug 19, 2009.

?

Best place to get your oil changed at ?

1. The dealership

21.4%
  2. Jiff Lube type place

6.8%
  3. Your self

71.8%
  1. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    ydoow

ydoow [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Phoenix Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    What oil do you guys recommend to use? Also might be a dumb question but if I do the oil change my self will it void the warranty? I'm still waiting to hit 5,000 to do my first change.

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    97Blk_one

97Blk_one Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memfrica
    Vehicle:
    not so low
    A whole lot,But not satify
    I used Castrol SYNTEC 5w/30 just b'couse it got 113K miles on it. As far as void warranty...probably not, Unless your Stealership have some sort of special for purchase a new Tacoma from them.

3. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    Hootbro

Hootbro Omnipotent

Member:
    Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR/SX Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 3.5L
    Read the owners manual and use any oil that meets the weight and spec called out in it. Dino or synthetic will work fine.

As far as warranty, just use a OEM filter and keep receipts of oil bought. That will cover you. You can use a non OEM brand filter but if you have a oil filter related issue to any claim, Toyota can deny warranty and you are left dealing with the filter manufacturer for compensation.

Use of a non OEM filter is not grounds for warranty denial unless it was the actual cause of the failure.

4. Aug 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Yuma Taco

Yuma Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Yuma, Az
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC TRD
    35% tint windows, OEM black running boards, OEM black roof rack, Foglight mod, De-badged & Sockmonkey Horns decals added, Two ammo box storage units (removed), 110 volt & 12 volt outlets for back seat area, EGR Slimline inchannel visors (all windows), Fold-A-Cover G4, Tonneau, Bedmat.
    I too, do it my self.
    1. I know it's done right, or at least I know who to yell at....:goingcrazy:
    2. I enjoy working on MY truck.
    3. I can mix and match which oil and filter I want to use.
    4. I can save money when using high end products. ;)

Now my wife's car is a pain in the rear so I'll take it to a known shop, not any drive through. :laugh:

Yuma Taco,

5. Aug 20, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    I do my oil changes myself. My belief is that why should I pay someone to do a job that I enjoy doing? It makes me feel better to know that I personally have changed it and done it right the first time. As long as I'm able I will be doing all of the maintenance I'm capable of doing on all of my personal vehicles.

6. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:36 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    i do my own cause then i know my drain plug is tight ;) plus i love crawling around my truck

7. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    UpstateTacoma

UpstateTacoma I'd rather be diving than working..

Member:
    Greenville SC
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner!!!
    All Stock, future mods will be audio only!!
    I always do it myself. I heard that jiffy lubes really screw things up with your car. one time jiffy lube thought that the transmission on the titan used Dexon fluid when it needs a speical fluid matic J, so can you say new transmission??

8. Aug 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    I change my own oil. It's so simple to do on my truck it takes less time to just change the oil than it would to drive somewhere and wait for them to do it... 15 minutes tops.

Only time I didn't change it myself is when I was 1400 miles from home and had no tools with me (won't make that error again). I took it to a local dealership who took 90+ minutes to change the oil, rotate tires (they did a crappy balance job, thank you very little) and eyeball the brakes. Geez... I could have pumped the oil out of the ground myself in that amount of time!

9. Aug 20, 2009 at 10:25 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    It depends... sometimes i'll take it in to a quick lube place if Im lazy or dont have a place to do it(like no garage and below freezing out with snow on the ground) but lately ive been doing it myself. I like DIY because i know it was done right, and it saves some money. I need to do mine this weekend actually.

10. Aug 21, 2009 at 5:41 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Me...and only me. Nobody has or will ever do an oil change for me (I'm not a trusting person by nature). Not only do I know it's been done correctly and neatly, but it gives me a chance every few weeks to get up under the rig and check things out.

And for the record....I'm a Castrol GTX dino juice guy and I only use Purolator PureOne filters. Been using this combo since the begining of time with no issues. I'm also an old-school 3k mile kinda fella. Oil changes are too cheap and easy not to.

11. Aug 21, 2009 at 8:12 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    +1 on the Fumoto! Love that thing. Getting one for the wife's new car, too.

Your owner's manual is your friend. I also use this site when I wonder what needs to be done and don't have the manual handy.

Use what Toyota tells you to use: 5w-30. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic, but there are TONS of threads around here debating the various brands, not to mention synthetic vs. dino.

Changing your own oil will NOT void your warranty. Neither will using non-Toyota motor oil or non-OEM filters. +1 to the suggestion of keeping your receipts, just in case, though.

12. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    emacpgh

emacpgh Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eric
    pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    silver streak mica sr5 sport
    Aries stainless steel bull bar , afe pro dry s filter , secondary air filter removal, scangauge II
    not gonna name the piace ,but . my cheap ass had a coupon. pretty sure they put 10w 30 high mileage in my 09 2.7 (10w 30 hm was crossed out on receipt ) on its first change. the drain plug was partially stripped, it took AN HOUR AND A HALF!!, no gasket was present when i changed the oil myself 1000 miles later. im pretty sure about the 10w 30, prob wouldnt hurt the engine but i did see a 2 mpg drop in the 1000 m that the oil was there. all this to save 5 bucks and 20 min of work. is there supposed to be a gasket on the 09s?

13. Aug 21, 2009 at 9:19 AM
    VixTacom

VixTacom SYC TACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Victor
    Wayne, NJ
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 TRD
    LED's and Neon Glow inside, Blacked out front end, 4X4 with Locking Diff, 5spd Manual, TRD package, CB Radio, Gray Wire Mod, Thrush exhaust system, Tinted marker lights, tailights, interior lights
    i do it myself, just cuz i can. i take the truck to local shop where i used to work. i throw the truck on the lift and do the oil change myself. plus i get a discount on parts A.) the shop as a discount B.) my bestfriend works for the local auto parts store. and also so i can check my cap and wires and all the other "fun" stuff

14. Aug 24, 2009 at 1:59 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I, and most of you can probably do a full oil change in under 15 mins... why would I ever pay someone else to do it?

15. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    I do it myself! I also change my parent's Chevy Silverado.

16. Aug 24, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I always do mine, just because it gets me out of the house. :eek:

17. Aug 24, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    you don't even need jackstands to do an oil change on these trucks. Very simple because everything is accessible, oil filter is right in front of your face when you open the hood.

When I was doing my oil change my friend came over with her honda civic and asked if I could do hers, without jackstands, forget it, I couldn't even find where the oil filter was on that thing.

18. Aug 25, 2009 at 5:12 AM
    tommypjr

tommypjr Member

Member:
    which Fumoto drain valve works for 2nd gen tacos? thanks!

19. Aug 25, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    07tacoark

07tacoark Still kickin like a chicken!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 & 19 TRD-OR 4x4
    Lots on 07 ... getting started on 19
    i do my own. why pay someone else to do it? just recently switched to synthetic so i dont have to change it that often anymore since im drivin a lot more with the new job.

and whats up with the dam oil filters been up top at an angle to flow down to the dam skid panel???? wtf do u guys that change it yurself do to keep it from runnin down??

20. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    rob1

rob1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    Indigo Blue DblCab 4X4 Long Bed TRD Sport SR5
    Tail gate mod, locking gas cap, locking spare tire, rear spring tsb,Weathertech Digital fit's
    I have read that some guys poke a hole in the filter to let air in so it can drain before removing (I have not tryed that myself) I remove the plug at the bottom of the filter holder attach a 5/16" 5 foot long clear tube and remove filter and let it drain for a second while it runs through and down the tube to the catch pan below then clean (which is allot less oil then before) the filter area. I leave the tube on till it drains while it drains I'am getting everything else ready to start pouring in my favorite oil!!:D
    Hope this helps!!

Products Discussed in

To Top