Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who does your oil changes?

View Poll Results: Best place to get your oil changed at ?
The dealership 593 21.36%
Jiff Lube type place 189 6.81%
Your self 1,994 71.83%
Voters: 2776. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
ydoow is on a distinguished road
ydoow's Tacoma Gallery
Who does your oil changes?

Who does your oil changes? The dealership,or a jiffy lube type place, or do you do your own , and why?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
DIY (my self) So I know what I put in,plus take better care then those guys
Old 08-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
this is the easiest vehicle in history to change the oil. Why pay someone???
Agreed, On mine I don't even jack it up,all I have to do is get under the truck,viola...less then 20 minute...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
the town is back that way
GeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud ofGeoTaco has much to be proud of

Name: Freeda Feltcher
GeoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Have not had to do it yet (just hit 4k), but im going to try it myself.....well see how it goes. Not to steal the thread, but what all do you need to DIY?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoTaco View Post
Not to steal the thread, but what all do you need to DIY?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...tml#post124480
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i do it myself cuz i dont ever trust anyone to touch my truck.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #11
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i always do this by me self.

except the time my filter vapor locked and i had to take it to a shop to get them to take it off. that was a pain in the ass.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
I don't trust most of the quick change places. Seen and heard of too many people having bad experiences at them. If my truck ever happens to be in the shop of a reputable mechanic that I trust, and it needs an oil change, then ok sure why not. Otherwise, I just do it myself. I enjoy the time I spend working on my truck.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
The clown has no penis...
smallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to allsmallcandle is a name known to all

Name: Brian
smallcandle's Tacoma Gallery
I always do my own oil and filter changes because, like most everyone else, I don't trust anyone else to do it properly.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #14
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i always do this by me self.

except the time my filter vapor locked and i had to take it to a shop to get them to take it off. that was a pain in the ass.
Just take it off after draining from the pan... then it's vented. Worst case senario, screwdriver and a hammer always works lol (best to avoid but, if you have to you have to).

I always do it, it's such an easy basic task, and on this truck it's a joke. Oil, filters, and 30 min (re-oil the k&n drop in takes time to clean and dry). Also, I've yet to replace that 'crush' washer on the drain plug, never had a leak. I know the same goes with several members as well.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
I don't trust anyone to change my oil. Dealers are no better than the Jiffy Lubes of the world.
I knew this guy work at this" Automative Service" He forgot to put back the oil,and the drain plug after the oil changed...They got sued for some serious moolas...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #17
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Just take it off after draining from the pan... then it's vented. Worst case senario, screwdriver and a hammer always works lol (best to avoid but, if you have to you have to).

I always do it, it's such an easy basic task, and on this truck it's a joke. Oil, filters, and 30 min (re-oil the k&n drop in takes time to clean and dry). Also, I've yet to replace that 'crush' washer on the drain plug, never had a leak. I know the same goes with several members as well.

oh really? man am I a dumbass. ive been doing it the opposite way ive been taking the filter off first then draining it. next time im gonna try that see if it makes a difference. its just i use(d) napa gold wix filters. and those damn things have such a good seal on em. i guess when i tightend it last time, the pressure caused it to seal like a sumbitch. but i got it off. and i now have switched to purolater filters
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
ive been doing it the opposite way ive been taking the filter off first then draining it. next time im gonna try that see if it makes a difference. its just i use(d) napa gold wix filters. and those damn things have such a good seal on em. i guess when i tightend it last time, the pressure caused it to seal like a sumbitch. but i got it off. and i now have switched to purolater filters
Say what? If anyone that have oil filter that hung below, to keep it clean use a plastic ziplock bag over the filter and then removed it, clean...so you don't have to wipe those drip down...
Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't read above, so might be a repeat...

I change my own oil, so I know EXACTLY what comes out and goes in. Besides, it's cheaper. I can go full synthetic for what it'd cost to get Express Oil to do Dino.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Quote:
oh really? man am I a dumbass. ive been doing it the opposite way ive been taking the filter off first then draining it. next time im gonna try that see if it makes a difference. its just i use(d) napa gold wix filters. and those damn things have such a good seal on em. i guess when i tightend it last time, the pressure caused it to seal like a sumbitch. but i got it off. and i now have switched to purolater filters
Also when you put it back on, just hand tighen is all you need. The vacuum from the engine running will make it very tight, it's supposed to. Myself I run k&n filters, I like the 1" nut welded on top, makes taking it off a joke with a socket wrench.

Products Discussed in this Thread