Notices

4.0 L Starter Rebuild / Brush Kit Question

Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #1
jackal419 is on a distinguished road
Army: Infantry Officer
jackal419's Tacoma Gallery
Question 4.0 L Starter Rebuild / Brush Kit Question

Fellas,
My Taco has been having some issues starting as of late. At first I thought it might be a battery issue, but the battery has plenty of charge. When I turn the keep to start, I usually just get a click, and then if I hold it the engine will fire up. This is leading me to believe that my starter may have some corrosion in it. From reading info about other vehicle starters I think its the contacts. Has anyone opened up the starter housing on the 2nd Gen Taco?

I did some research and found that Toyota sells a Brush Holder Kit for performing a starter rebuild. I'm trying to determine the contents of this kit and if its what I need to order. Its Toyota Part Number 2814062030 and list for $22.35. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Not sure on the gen. 2 Taco starter, but I rebuilt the starter on my 3.0 4Runner.

The kit contained the contacts in the solenoid and was a very simple rebuild.

Marc M
Old 08-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Thanks for the help. I ordered the part and will post some pictures and lessons learned from rebuilding it once it arrives.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Well lessons learned:
-'06 starter parts are either (1) rarely needed and stocked or (2) in high demand. It took 4 days to get the part I needed and it came out of "national stock" whatever that is.
-Getting to your starter is a bite of a bear. It helps having two people, one to work on it from underneath (jackstands necessary) and the other to get it up through first the wheel well and then the hood.
-One we had the starter out, getting the two screws that hold together the brush assembly proved to be quite a challenge. I don't know if they were somehow overtorqued by the factory but we had to drill them out and replace them with bolts (M5-.80).
-Found additional info at the NCTTora. Do a search for starter and you'll find the necessary pages for the job.
-Replacing the listed above part and cleaning off the long contacts seemed to do the trick. Hopefully it'll last. The contacts inside the Tacoma starter looked ALOT different than other pictures of starter contacts I've seen.

I got frustrated and forgot to take pictures. I'll take one of the part we replaced for future reference though.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM   #5
Update: Redoing the starter brush holder improved the situation, but the starter occasionally misses even after performing the refurb. Any suggestions?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #6
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
When you tested your battery did you test it under load. sometimes a battery will fool a tester into thinking it has a good charge the second you put a load on the battery it drops of to low to perform the job.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
URBIKESUCKS is on a distinguished road

Army: US ARMY RECRUITER GATEWAY MALL
Name: Ron
URBIKESUCKS's Tacoma Gallery
don't mean to jack your thread

I have an 09 and sometimes it will not start on first try.
I have brushed it off but it has happened again coming back from Jacksonville and I am starting to wounder.
Anyone w/ a new trk have these issues???
Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal419 View Post
Update: Redoing the starter brush holder improved the situation, but the starter occasionally misses even after performing the refurb. Any suggestions?
Maybe one of the connections is loose. Or as Ninja said, the battery.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
If it flies it dies!!
duckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shedduckcmdr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
duckcmdr's Tacoma Gallery
I had starter issuses from the wharton scratch & splash. Mine got a bit wet and it took about 2 months for it to totaly take a shit. I just had a new starter put in because of time issues. but when i found the starter... (after seaching for a while) I knew it would be a pain in the ass to get out. I have had no starting issuse since.

How long did it take to get it out? Did you have to disconnect the steering knuckle?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Getting it out was not too terrible. We put the truck on jack stands and I took out the 2 bolts and 3 wires holding it in place. My buddy opened up the left front wheel well and grabbed it from there. Eventually he moved to the hood while I held it from underneath. It came out pretty easily through the hood.

Prior to replacing the brush holder, the truck would not start at all. Just the click and then nothing. Since replacing it, the truck starts right up about 90% of the time. Occasionally, it will click and then start or I'll have to turn the key to off and try all over. I'm starting to think that I may have to replace the plunger (Part #4 in picture) or maybe just get a whole new/refurbished one.