1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wind noise from side view mirrors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SubZombie, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Anyone have this? It starts up around 45mph. It isn't overly loud unless at high speed but it is definitely some wind sounding pretty turbulent. The noise seems to be coming from under the window, but could be coming from the mirror? I've checked the door seals and done a number of things but nothing has helped it.

Anyone have a solution other than get used to it? The truck is quiet as hell otherwise (compared to my WRX atleast).

I noticed the exact same thing on the other taco's I test drove before I got this one so I know it's not just mine.

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    alankidwell

alankidwell Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl access cab
    can't say that i have noticed, but i probly will now. thanks alot
    :p

3. Aug 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    I'd probably notice but the radio volume is never below 40 :D

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:20 AM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Bump, anyone?

Just kinda wondering if anyone noticed and fixed it? I've done some stuff to muffle it slightly

5. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    Outlaw

Outlaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2006 GX470
    Water Pump, Timing Belt, Sparkplugs, Plastidip Grill emblem
    I have had the same problem. I noticed it more in the winter(cold temps) which all kinds of odd noises happen in the winter.
    i decided to try to not let it bother me, and now I dont notice it. Though maybe its not doing it this summer?
    I never had it looked at, and doesnt seem to be as bad or even noticeable now.

6. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    SLOH

SLOH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5, dc long bed speedway blue
    2.5 Icon c/o's and 3" AllPro rear suspension kit, 17" XD Series Addict w/ 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's, K&N 63 Series CAI, 13.5'' JL Sub (13TW5v2-2) and 500w Rockford Fosgate amp, limo tint all around, cat back banks exhaust with no muffler or tip, blue dash light mod, "taco" 3rd brake light mod, blue dome-light mod, cb radio and 4' firestik antenna, blacked out hoodscoop(thanks randy), Total Chaos UCA's
    mine will do it sometimes on more of a windy day on the freeway. I don't know if there is anything you can do about it, on mine at least, it sounds like its just wind passing through the gap between the mirror and the truck, i don't really pay attention to it

7. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    dopeydanman

dopeydanman trd 4 life

Member:
    First Name:
    DANNY
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Prerunner SR5 Long Travel
    K&N Cool Air Intake. F.I.P.K. Donahoe front long travel shocks rear add a leaf kit also by Donahoe with long travel shocks. Kenwood Under Seat amplifier powering two sony xplods.
    just another reason why the 03 3.4's are still better

8. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto
    I feel like mine has wind noise in many different places. I still can't believe a new vehicle would have this much wind noise. Mine seems to be passenger side door, not sure if it is front or back door and then either windshield or possibly the mirror.

9. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    I didn't notice it until I ripped out the interior and sound-proofed my cabin. I'm still scheming....

10. Aug 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    ozmon420

ozmon420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    miami, florida
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma
    18x9 pro comp 7031 rims, alpine iva-d310 w/sirius sat radio, ipod connection, tv tuner, reverse camera, bug deflector, wet okole seat covers, tinted windows, running boards, toytec coilovers front set at 2.5'' , AAL rear,5100's rear, TC UCA, leer topper, bruteforce rear bumper, ARB rear locker.
    haven't noticed any noise, radio is always loud
    [​IMG]

11. Aug 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    ^ that is one helluva big sized signature Sir

if the noise is coming from the space between the mirrors' plastic housing and where that housing mounts to the truck ( the pivot point that allows the mirror to adjust ) then maybe a piece of black electrical tape to cover the crack, it can't be more than 1/8th of an inch...

12. Aug 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM
    paintpimp

paintpimp Well-Known Member

Member:
    Loveland CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Dbl Cab Long Bed TRD Off Road
    ARB front bumper with 10,000 lb winch ARB rear bumper RSI bed rack 2.5 adjustable lift TRD rims Leather seats
    It is the mirrors, it happens to me when I drive into a good headwind, it is annoying but i dont know any remedy

13. Aug 24, 2009 at 5:55 PM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    I am now starting to think it isn't the mirrors. More over, maybe not even anything in the door at all.

I taped every last area of the mirror, every crevice. I dynamatted the inside of the mirror. Exactly the same.

I even covered the entire area between the mirror and the cab. The noise was still there, exactly the same.

I've tried doubling the weather stripping everywhere. Dynamatted the doors (dynamat muffled it SLIGHTLY).

Then I drove with the door panel off. The wind noise is actually louder from the back of the door, it bounces off the front and sounds like it is coming from the side mirror/under the window because that is the easiest place for sound to get through. You can't hear it in the back with the door panel on.

Though I've tried everything on the back aswell. It's pretty bizarre. I think it is coming from somewhere else entirely and reverberating inside the door like a stethoscope. I think this because I had some tape basically on the hood of the truck and at high speed it was vibrating in the wind and the tape on the hood sounded like it was coming from the mirror and the back of the door.

So, my next try will be the paper thin plastic inside of the wheel-well. Maybe putting some dynamat on the back of it and seeing if that does anything eventhough it doesn't seem like the right place at all. If nothing out it'll muffle the noise from rocks hitting it.

Yea I got a little OCD :p

14. Aug 24, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    Old Soul

Old Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 AC V6 SR5 2WD SWB
    not to many, love it the way it is
    maybe it is the weatherstrip seal around the windshield. I've read where people hear wind flap action coming from that area. maybe a tiny bead of silicone to fill the flap

15. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:59 PM
    mr2crazed

mr2crazed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morro Bay, CA.
    Vehicle:
    06 DC PreRunner SR5
    I can hear it but it almost sounds like tire noise.

16. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Well I narrowed it down. The wind noise is from the door handles. It is identical on the driver and passenger side. Loud as hell with the door panels off.

A flashlight inside the door revealed that the door handle, by design, is full of places for air to flow in. The biggest gap is between the actual handle and the lock. I could feel the air flowing in here with my hand while driving.

The gasket had gaps all over aswell and is too hard a plastic to 'seal' out the air. The gasket also didn't seal to the metal on the door even with everything tightened to its fullest.

I fancied some thin weather stripping to go between the handle and the gaskets. Also used weather stripping glue to seal the gaskets to the door. I haven't decided how to deal with the biggest hole between the handle and lock, but what I did made a noticeable improvement.

The noise sounds exacly like it is coming from the side mirrors when the panel is on.

17. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.

x2. :p

18. Aug 25, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    Very good to know... I always thought it was the weather stripping around the door. I've tried all kinds of stuff--to no avail. Never even considered the mirrors. Just been putting up with it for 41k. I agree it's annoying as hell.

19. Aug 25, 2009 at 11:54 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    you. are. crazy. o. c. d.

lol sorry no offense...yeah ive noticed it too but its a truck...the aerodynamics...uhh...similar to maybe...a barn?

20. Aug 26, 2009 at 5:52 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Check the windshield TSB. Are you sure it's not that? My 09 has a wailing noise during high speed/high cross-wind driving. I haven't taken it in yet though.

Products Discussed in

To Top