1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rattling type noise (Diesel sound)?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Terrier, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Mine has it as well. I've not had it checked out yet either. Glad to know it's not just my truck doing it. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it goes.

2. Aug 25, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    That's exactly it. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the throwout bearing. I think it just may be noise transfering through the drivetrain of the engine from the added load of the a/c compressor.

3. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    Terrier

Terrier [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 2.7

Mine does it with the A/C off as well; however, it is much less noticeable. It almost sounds as though it is a gear turning in the transmission. As a follow-up to one of my previous posts, called dealer today and they said they still are waiting to hear from Toyota.

4. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM
    jasper07

jasper07 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 V6 4WD 6 SPEED DOUBLE CAB
    I have the same problem. My dealer replaced my input shaft bearing (total disassemble of trans) and nothing changed. Will go back at some point. They contacted Toyota and no known issues or tsb.

5. Aug 25, 2009 at 6:37 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    jasper07, that sucks. Thats why I want a more definitive answer from Toyota before they tear into mine just to check it out. Maybe it is not a problem but normal; that is what I am hoping.

6. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:15 PM
    jasper07

jasper07 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Does suck but at least I know it is not in the transmission. I'm going to have it checked out again at some point but not sure when. Nice to have this forum to see others are having the same issues though.

7. Aug 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    i remember reading it was the rear bell housing making that noise

i have a low mileage truck as well, 12K, and i have had that noise for awhile.

if you want the noise to go away, remember to shift to first and THEN turn the truck off. when i did this it helped the noise go away a bit

also if you have a counter weighted shift know the noise dissipates.

8. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:45 PM
    Manitoulin

Manitoulin Member

Member:
    I heard diesel engines that make less noise. Sucks we don't get the mpg or power with that noise.

9. Aug 26, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Okay, talked to the tech at the dealer today (real nice guy by the way). Bad news. He said that toyota responded to his inquiry.He says Toyota wants him to engage in an investigative process to see what the issue might be. They want him to video the inside of the bell housing through the inspection port with the engine running (I could not find an inspection port, not to say there isn't one). They then want him to measure each finger on the pressure plate to see if all within tolerance, and also check the shaft where the throw out bearing rides. He is then to send all the video, information and any replaced parts back to Toyota so they can figure out what is going on.

The tech further says that there are complaints all over the country for this. I do not really want my truck to be the experiment on this investigation. I don't like the idea of my truck going under the knife, especially if there is nothing wrong with it.

Based on alll of these posts, it seem like a normal thing, if we are all talking about the same noise that goes away with clutch pedal pushed down and comes back upon relase of pedal. I am having difficulty accepting that it is a problem, especially when Toyota appears to not know what it is, after 5 years of production of the same powertrain.
    In any event, I am going to try to find a new Tacoma 5 speed in my area that I can listen to before I decide to put mine under the knife.

Hopefully, one of us here will get the right answer as to whether it is a problem or just the way the 5 speed 4 banger is.

10. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Update: wnet to another dealer today and had the tech supervisor (I think) check it out . Could not hear the sound after driving around 25 miles with A/C on to get there. I then went and drove it a little more and got the sound and went back. The sound was rather mild. In any event, he said he heard it while he was under truck. He did not know what it was but did not think it was necessarilly a problem. He wanted to check out a new one on the lot to compare but they did not have any manuals. He also wondered about the prudence of taking it apart to see if something wrong when it could be normal. You would think that if it was a problem, Toyota would ahve a TSB by now.
    Hope someone figures out whether it is a problem or not.

11. Aug 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    A shot in the dark here. Mine just started to make the noise you discribed. After LOTS of looking and E.D.S.ing, it was my lower tension pulley. Normally they will squeel, but mine just rattled. Just a shot in the dark.
    Dominik

12. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i googled lower tenstion pulley and well what is it? where is it? what does it do? maybe even a picture would be awesome!

13. Aug 27, 2009 at 6:17 PM
    InfidelTaco

InfidelTaco No better friend,No worse enemy...

Member:
    First Name:
    G
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner
    AFE, Fox, Built Rights, Moog, SpiderTrax, Icon progressive, Grabbers
  14. Aug 27, 2009 at 9:34 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    I have noticed the same noise lately on my 08 reg cab 4 cyl dont know if its always done it of not .I thought we just had noisy a/c compressors .I havent really been paying much attention to it. Tomorrow I am gonna have to see if the noise goes away when I depress the clutch . I definitely do have the clutch squeak inside the truck at the clutch master cylinder I sprayed white lithium on it a few weeks ago and it went away but returned pretty quickly .Sounds to me like I am gonna have to take it in for warranty service to get these things looked at I currently have 25 k on my truck . Damn I really hate to let somebody besides myself work on my truck you just never know whos gonna get the repair order the skilled tech with 20 +yrs exp or the moron with 2 months exp !! who has no business turning wrenches .

15. Aug 28, 2009 at 1:09 PM
    jasper07

jasper07 Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I have a friend at Toyota Tech center and he called me and asked me a bunch of questions. He was speaking to a SET rep from Deerfield about this issue. He is going to visit the local dealer and have me bring it in some time in the next few weeks when the reps are back in town.

16. Aug 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.
    There are pullies on the moter that help guide the belt and to keep it tense. See how your belt is routed. Check your pullies that aren't attached to an accesory ie alt, water pump, ac. Listen and look. Have your tech check it out. It's too dark out for a pick right now. Search the sight with tension pulley. I'm pretty sure you'll get a few hit's.
    Dominik

17. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    08beachtoy

08beachtoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    08' reg cab 4x4 2.7ltr 5 spd
    Sony cd player /ipod , small amp, bed mat from Dee Zee , A.R.E. custom cap with yakima racks, weather gaurd floor mats , oem fog lights ,oem DRL mod, class III hitch ,custom bed mounted power inverter, tinted windows 5 % all around, oem hood protector /bugshield , avs door visors ,wet okole seat covers , Train air horn
    Well I checked today and yep the noise stops when I depress the clutch pedal . Well hopefully someone gets to the bottom of this .I will say I am not overly concerned about it at this point but will be curious to see who finds the issue and what gets done if anything to correct it !

18. Aug 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:

Looking forward to hearing the results. Thanks.

As an update, I drove over 100 miles one way today with A/C on the whole time. Part of the drive was 4wd on dirt road (over 10 miles). When I got back into town and at a stop light, I could hear the diesel sound more pronounced(effected by movement of the clutch pedal). Last Friday after a very hot day and towing my boat with A/C on (boat, engine and trailer weigh less than 650 lbs.), it made the more pronounced sound like today. It has not been as noticeable all week with the shorter trips. I am thinking that the sound has probably been there from early on but just not as noticeable as last Friday or today.

19. Aug 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    Terrier

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Found some other threads on what appear to be the same noise. Unfortunately, I do not know how to link them.
    One is here on Tacoma World. It is entitled "Clutch Release Bearing" by gdawg25 started on 1/10/08.
    The other is on ToyotaNation started recently in the 2005+Tacoma forum entitled "Rattling Noise".

20. Aug 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    ninja_taco

ninja_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '10 Prerunner
    Vanillarama Pinetree Scent
    i've had the same issue with mine. i originally took it to the dealership where i bought my truck and got the run around. they told me it was an "inherent noise that the transmission would make" after they changed the a/c compressor; they thought the a/c was the problem, even though it went away with the clutch pressed down. i contacted toyota and was told to take it to another dealership, which is 45 min away, and see what they can find. so i did and immediately the tech said he thinks its the throw-out bearing. so that gets changed, and a few miles later, same problem. so i take it back to the dealership that changed the throw-out bearing, this being the 4th time i've brought it to get fixed, and a different tech is there and says that he just fixed another one with the same problem, that it was "the bearings in the transmission." well that got fixed a few days back, and i have yet to have another problem with it, but it i do i will post an update.

Products Discussed in

To Top