1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks & Bushings

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Downsouth Motorsports, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports [OP] Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Good morning,

I just wanted to clear the air about something and hopefully it will help.
    I have received a few phone calls in the last few weeks and I am not sure of the nature of the calls...
    On the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Tacoma's there are bushings in the top Plate that holds the spring in Place and has the "3" bolts that hold the strut into place in the Tacoma's...The Bilstein 5100 Series Pre-Load Adjustable shocks for the Gen 1 and Gen 2 do not come with these bushings and it does not state anywhere that it does come with the bushings..The bushing is a Factory Toyota Bushing and if it is worn out, you would need to contact the dealer for the bushings and see if they sell it separately...I have contacted the Toyota dealer here about it and they said it is part of the top Plate assembly...
    The Bilstein 5100 Series Shock is only a replacement shock....That is why in the picture's I have of the shocks, I was so concerned with actually having a picture of the actual shock you would be purchasing, so there are no mis-conceptions and in the pictures there are no Replacement Bushings for Front Shocks on the top plate....Bilstein or RCD does not include them with there shocks....

Also just a heads up on the Gen 1 front Pre-Load Adjustable shocks, it looks like they will be about 2 weeks before them have them available...
    Welcome to the world of production with Bilstein.....

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions....
    Thank you,
    Sonny

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 8:30 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    thanks for the info sonny, I just had my 5100's installed that I ordered from you and they are great!

3. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Nice Update. I'm looking into 5100's as well. I'm in Chula Vista (off Olympic) and should pay your location a visit. In any event, nice of you to inform us of that bushing.

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Member:
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    I just do not want anyone thinking we are not giving them all of the parts
    that come with the shocks.....Just covering my A** so to say....

5. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I'm just wondering who would actually thinks these shocks came with a set of TWO $70+ parts. :confused:

In Sonny's defense, he sells a great product, with outstanding customer service. :thumbsup:

6. Aug 24, 2009 at 9:21 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Member:
    I am not sure who it was, but like I said I did not want anyone thinking they were getting the short end of the stick...I try and pass on all the info I can and help with whatever I can as far as the shock side and some people have contacted me about other items from Tacoma World and I still try and make it a point to help or at least point whom ever in the right direction even if they do not buy something from me...

Please everyone...Please ask questions....There is no such thing as a dumb question...

7. Aug 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    dw77x

dw77x Those are not my pants

Member:
    SE Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport LB
    5100's all 4 corners (front at 2.5"), rear tsb springs with 1.5" AAL, 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2's
    On the topic, don't be like me. . .

The inner bushing will likely stick to the inside of the top plate and the outer (top) one will fall of when taken appart. Idiot me saw the top bushing laying on the ground and I though "hey you bushing get back on the inside where you belong". so I slid it on the shock, assembled it and put it back in the truck. Only to realize I get to pull it all back out because I have the bushings doubble stacked on my front right. I was not sure if I was going to admit my stupidity, but I thought I would hate for someone else to do the same thing. I do this type of stuff for a living so there is no excuse, oh well, it's done now.:eek:

8. May 6, 2015 at 7:27 PM
    Flhighby

Flhighby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Remynator
    Montreal surroundings
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Skid plate (front section) OR FAB, Leer shell 122, CB Cobra WX ST II, Little Wil Antena, BF MudTire 32's, rear diff breather relocation, power lock tailgate, cab outlet/400W park and driving, fog lights on any time, rubber floor, blacked emblems, door ding
    What is a stupide question,,, oh,,, this one is !

9. May 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    ^ umm... what?!??! holly thread dig btw!

10. May 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM
    Flhighby

Member:
    First Name:
    Remynator
    Montreal surroundings
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Skid plate (front section) OR FAB, Leer shell 122, CB Cobra WX ST II, Little Wil Antena, BF MudTire 32's, rear diff breather relocation, power lock tailgate, cab outlet/400W park and driving, fog lights on any time, rubber floor, blacked emblems, door ding
    Do you think a Trd sport with 40k, from driving it a year and a half, would need this bushing replaced.
    Only road driving at this point, no heavy loads, light trailer 4 or 5 times since.

I'd like to get everything before I start the dream, first truck 4×4, first mod besides a rubber mat, and electrical mods.

11. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Member:
    no you shouldn't need bushings.

12. Jun 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM
    Flhighby

Member:
    First Name:
    Remynator
    Montreal surroundings
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    Thank you !

13. Sep 29, 2016 at 4:51 PM
    JRinReno

JRinReno Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Southern NV
    Vehicle:
    '02 Tacoma ExtCab, 4WD, TRD, 3400V6, 5 spd
    Bone stock
    Thanks for the straight scoop on the Bilstein 4600's that I ordered for the front of my '02 Tacoma. You gave us the info that Tire Rack did not or could not provide.
    After seeing the costs for the bushings you listed at around $70----I don't feel so bad at having paid $28+ at the local dealership-------the rub was the surprise and not knowing about the lack of bushings until the truck was up in the air with the old shocks removed.
    Thanks again.
    BTW, I run Bilsteins on all my rigs (except for trailers).

Products Discussed in

To Top