1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Manually shifting your auto

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricT, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Aug 24, 2009 at 10:59 AM
    EricT

EricT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    Hey all-

How good/bad is it to manual shift your automatic? I have an 09 v6, and there's a hill near me that downshifting to fourth and third really saves the brakes on. But what about shifting up, so I can hold gear a little longer and get higher rpms - is that bad to do?

I've also noticed that say if I put it in third, it just doesnt shift higher - but it will auto down to first and second.

I love my truck, I don't wanna break the tranny but the sometimes manual shifting is pretty fun.

2. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah....Manual Envy...It happens...at least if you don't have a manual it does.

You can shift like that...Don't force it into red lines and stuff...but it's fine to use it if you want.

3. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:04 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I do it all the time. Actually I used it to help 'train' it to shift later. I also use it for engine braking all the time as well on hills.

Also you can't 'force' it into redlines to the best I know on downshifting it'll wait. Otherwise the limiter will kick in preventing it from going to high in the rpm. I wouldn't try going down forcing it into redline, but I kinda doubt it'll let you....

4. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I also have a hill near me that I downshift into 3rd for.... and I don't see a problem with it. However - I'd be careful how fast you're going and only shift to a certain point to match your speed. You don't wanna shift down too far resulting in a sudden major increase in rpm's and the truck trying to stop itself suddenly.

When you're in 3rd gear....it'll only shift from 1st, 2nd, & 3rd and won't go any higher than whatever gear you're in (on the shifter). Not sure if that's what you were referring to..... Other than that, the points at which it shifts all varies depending on various sensors & such on the truck, along with the throttle by wire deal. I'm sure that alone can mess stuff up sometimes.

Sometimes I'll manually shift the auto in the winter on the snow...but that's about it. I bought an Auto so I don't have to shift - I just let the truck do all the work.

5. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    you're right, Ive down shifted before at a speed that was not appropriate for the gear so it held back the shift until my speed fell into the appropriate range, then it shifted.

6. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:55 AM
    rdwarrior

rdwarrior Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dirty, NJ
    pop and lock 5300, awaiting revenge fab sliders, leer topper, custom camping platform for bed
    i shift my auto trans all the time. It works very well on hills and and for slowing down gradually before lights. Hopefully it is ok that i do this. Trying to go easier on the brakes, but i dont want to pound my transmission either...

7. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Damn trucks are smarter than us :rolleyes:

8. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:15 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I shift my auto all the time...

...I tried leaving it in "D" all the time, but it wouldn't give me back my keys. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do downshift the auto - especially going down some of these hills between San Antonio and Austin. Mountains of Colorado are the most fun though. It helps to downshift every once in a while. It trains the ECU to downshift for you.

9. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    copernicus

copernicus Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'd rather waste brakes than transmission.

10. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    ^correct. I'd rather have control over my slowing speed too.

I hate downshifting on hills...I like coasting. I would disable the brake assist if I could.

And yes...we have hills and mountains here in Western PA.

11. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Manually shifting an auto transmission can cause overheating in some circumstances. For example, putting it manually in a gear that is too high under acceleration: causes torque converter to heat up pretty quickly.

12. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, apparently they aren't 10.2% grades where if you leave it in drive you'll hit 100+ mph coasting lol. I have to leave it in 3rd on some hills just to maintain 75-80 on some hills.

Also, it's not going to hurt your transmission. Use it, it's what it's ment for. It spins, it has oil. Do the 100k maintenance and it'll be fine. Towing will be way harder on it than downshifting ever will. This transmission rev-matches, probably way better than even pro drivers could do with a stick and a clutch. I won't worry about it myself. I also run full synthetic in the engine, and do changes at every 5k (yea, it could go way longer) because I do drive it hard. I buy vehicles to enjoy them though, but that's me.

13. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I never go that overboard, but when cruising down a hill at 50MPH I usually drop it into 4 to slow it down a little so I can ease off on the brakes. I also have the tow package with the tranny cooler. So, I am a little rougher on my tranny than most guys.

I would have gotten a 6 speed manual except they did not offer it in the Double Cab Long Bed. The long bed is a must for me as I use the crap out of it.

14. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
  15. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Post something actual data to back up the claim it's shortening the life other than hearsay and I'll believe it...

Also none of those links had anything to support there was repair work done :/ So, as it stands it's just as valid to do it or not...

16. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    ^ This...If it's a choice between the two..I'll trash out the 100 dollars in brake pads over the 3+ grand in trans.

17. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    If you are going to coast down a steep grade for more than a couple of miles, downshifting to an appropriate gear to assist in keeping your brakes from smoking and becoming ineffective is a good idea. Its not like we are downshifting grins (okay, I'm not).

Driving my Suburban in the front range of Colorado (between Nederland, Boulder, and all the way down I-70 to Glenwood Springs), I learned how to put the transmission at the right gear to assist braking. I also learned that if you only counted on the brakes you could very quickly find yourself in a precarious situation.

18. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:48 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Yea, brake fading is no fun. I had that happen to me towing on I-5 in NorCal on the ranger (probably a little over 3/4 it's max towing capacity). It's not fun when you realize the brakes are no longer doing crap and you're coming up on a 35mph turn at 60....

19. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    it would be very hard to find concrete proof that downshifting does cause problems, but to me it just seems logical, you can either put the downward moving weight on your breaks or you could put it on your drivetrain. I dont know forsure but I do know I wouldnt want to risk something that may cost thousands of dollars to fix to save something costs 100 dollars and your going to have to replace anyways.

20. Aug 24, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I was in a similar situation in my ex-girlfriends Ford Explo(d)er going down I-70 in late November. I felt like an idiot, but I pulled it out somehow. So glad I am not 18 and naive anymore.
    :D

Products Discussed in

To Top