1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So Cal 4X4, 4 cylinders. Is this rare here?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jan 3, 2008 at 9:13 PM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I asked the two closest dealers for a price on a Tacoma 4x4, regular cab, in 4 cylinders. Two dealers said they don't have them in stock and have to order them. About 6-8 weeks.

Is this a rare combo here? All their stock is access cab and crew cab. Were they trying to sell me up?

2. Jan 3, 2008 at 11:35 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I don't know what area of SoCal you're in but LA is usually a good place to look. I checked Autotrader.com for an LA area zip code (90014). You can search for your particular zip code at the main site: http://www.autotrader.com. Select the options you want (4x4, 4 cylinder, 2 door). The more options you choose, the less hits you'll get. I had to expand the search to a 500 mile radius but I found some:
    Toyota Walnut Creek

Here's the complete listing for 4x4, 4 cylinder standard cabs (2 door) within a 500 mile radius around 90014. You'll still have to look for 4wd in the listing but there are a few.

3. Jan 3, 2008 at 11:39 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    I live near Long Beach Ca. Walnut Creek is about 400 miles away from me. It's a little bit far to drive.

4. Jan 3, 2008 at 11:50 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I did find a red one in Madera.

It's still about 250 miles. If that's too far to drive, I'd ask the dealer if they'd transfer the truck from that dealership. It might have that many miles on it from the drive.

5. Jan 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM
    ERdept

Member:
    In fact, I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow to ask if they can order one. Maybe they'll transer one or just order it as a part of their next purchase.

6. Jan 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well, at least you know that there wasn't one close by and he wasn't just trying to up-sell you. Plus, the advantage of ordering it is you can get the options the way you want it. I'm sure it will be the slowest 6 weeks of your life. :D

7. Jan 4, 2008 at 5:44 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I believe Tacoma transfers from 1 dealer to another are fairly common. I know that dealers in my area keep very few Tacomas in stock. I got mine from a transfer from a nearby state. I gave them a list of exactly what I wanted and they found it. It should not affect your price at all. The dealers take care of it amongst themselves. Good luck finding exactly what you want.

Edit: Unfortunately you do have to wait at least a couple weeks using this method, and RobrJohnson is correct...they are some LONG weeks...

8. Jan 4, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I got the same answer, I don't believe the salesman was giving me the business, he actually said that these are fairly common request but they (Toyota) just don't build enough of them. Ordering one or transferring one was the only option I got. :(

9. Jan 4, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    Bill in Ky

Bill in Ky Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Bright White 08 Reg 4X4 2.7 5spd SR5
    I got my first 4x4 in 1972...haven't been without one! I still like Chrome!
    I don't know about out west but here in West Ky they are hard to find. I have had mine for a month. The dealer did a search and found 2 "on the ground" at other dealers, and that search was a 1000 mile radius. They were able to transfer one, it had 390 miles on it when i got it.
    I am very pleased with mine.

10. Jan 4, 2008 at 9:53 PM
    PatheticJoe

PatheticJoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 TRD Sport - Access Cab
    I got my truck on a dealer transfer from the Bay Area. Only took a week.

11. Jan 4, 2008 at 10:24 PM
    ERdept

Member:
    May I ask how much you paid for it?

12. Jan 5, 2008 at 9:51 AM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    $25,604 before tax, tag, title, and trade-in. The only thing they took off the price was the ~$700 for the towing package because I told him I didn't want it. Based on the experience they pretty much know they will sell their Tacomas so they were not very negotiable. In the end I'm happy and THANK GOD that BMW is gone.

13. Jan 5, 2008 at 10:13 AM
    PatheticJoe

Member:
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
  14. Jan 5, 2008 at 10:34 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I find that there is something really cool and genuine about the reg. cab 4x4. Maybe because it really took off for Toyota trucks when that truck came on board, maybe because it is the definition of true utilitarianism, no glamour, no hype, no real presence, just me and lets go. I say you find the one you want, and if you have to wait... then wait. :thumbsup:

15. Jan 6, 2008 at 10:09 AM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    Not sure on the regular cab but I had a hard time finding an 07 Access Cab 4x4 4-Cylinder.

Went to CarsDirect and he said there was one in San Diego at that time and if I didn't want white I would have to get one from Nevada. :eek:

Needless to say we took the white one and we love it.

Bob

16. Jan 6, 2008 at 11:20 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    That's a damn impressive garage you have ! :burnrubber:

17. Jan 6, 2008 at 9:25 PM
    surfponto

surfponto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Leucadia (Sunny San Diego)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 2.7 ltr
    ATC Bobcat slide in camper 8 Dakar leaf springs in back
    Thanks. Probably have to sell the FJ Cruiser at some point since gas isn't going down anytime soon. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top