Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

So Cal 4X4, 4 cylinders. Is this rare here?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
So Cal 4X4, 4 cylinders. Is this rare here?

I asked the two closest dealers for a price on a Tacoma 4x4, regular cab, in 4 cylinders. Two dealers said they don't have them in stock and have to order them. About 6-8 weeks.

Is this a rare combo here? All their stock is access cab and crew cab. Were they trying to sell me up?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what area of SoCal you're in but LA is usually a good place to look. I checked Autotrader.com for an LA area zip code (90014). You can search for your particular zip code at the main site: http://www.autotrader.com. Select the options you want (4x4, 4 cylinder, 2 door). The more options you choose, the less hits you'll get. I had to expand the search to a 500 mile radius but I found some:
Toyota Walnut Creek

Here's the complete listing for 4x4, 4 cylinder standard cabs (2 door) within a 500 mile radius around 90014. You'll still have to look for 4wd in the listing but there are a few.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I live near Long Beach Ca. Walnut Creek is about 400 miles away from me. It's a little bit far to drive.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
I did find a red one in Madera.

It's still about 250 miles. If that's too far to drive, I'd ask the dealer if they'd transfer the truck from that dealership. It might have that many miles on it from the drive.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:10 AM   #5
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
I did find a red one in Madera.

It's still about 250 miles. If that's too far to drive, I'd ask the dealer if they'd transfer the truck from that dealership. It might have that many miles on it from the drive.
In fact, I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow to ask if they can order one. Maybe they'll transer one or just order it as a part of their next purchase.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 AM   #6

Well, at least you know that there wasn't one close by and he wasn't just trying to up-sell you. Plus, the advantage of ordering it is you can get the options the way you want it. I'm sure it will be the slowest 6 weeks of your life.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
I believe Tacoma transfers from 1 dealer to another are fairly common. I know that dealers in my area keep very few Tacomas in stock. I got mine from a transfer from a nearby state. I gave them a list of exactly what I wanted and they found it. It should not affect your price at all. The dealers take care of it amongst themselves. Good luck finding exactly what you want.

Edit: Unfortunately you do have to wait at least a couple weeks using this method, and RobrJohnson is correct...they are some LONG weeks...
Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I got the same answer, I don't believe the salesman was giving me the business, he actually said that these are fairly common request but they (Toyota) just don't build enough of them. Ordering one or transferring one was the only option I got.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
Bill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the roughBill in Ky is a jewel in the rough

Bill in Ky's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about out west but here in West Ky they are hard to find. I have had mine for a month. The dealer did a search and found 2 "on the ground" at other dealers, and that search was a 1000 mile radius. They were able to transfer one, it had 390 miles on it when i got it.
I am very pleased with mine.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
PatheticJoe will become famous soon enough

PatheticJoe's Tacoma Gallery
I got my truck on a dealer transfer from the Bay Area. Only took a week.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatheticJoe View Post
I got my truck on a dealer transfer from the Bay Area. Only took a week.
May I ask how much you paid for it?
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
May I ask how much you paid for it?
$25,604 before tax, tag, title, and trade-in. The only thing they took off the price was the ~$700 for the towing package because I told him I didn't want it. Based on the experience they pretty much know they will sell their Tacomas so they were not very negotiable. In the end I'm happy and THANK GOD that BMW is gone.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #13

Here is a thread with a lot more price info

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...your-taco.html
Old 01-05-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I find that there is something really cool and genuine about the reg. cab 4x4. Maybe because it really took off for Toyota trucks when that truck came on board, maybe because it is the definition of true utilitarianism, no glamour, no hype, no real presence, just me and lets go. I say you find the one you want, and if you have to wait... then wait.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
I asked the two closest dealers for a price on a Tacoma 4x4, regular cab, in 4 cylinders. Two dealers said they don't have them in stock and have to order them. About 6-8 weeks.

Is this a rare combo here? All their stock is access cab and crew cab. Were they trying to sell me up?
Not sure on the regular cab but I had a hard time finding an 07 Access Cab 4x4 4-Cylinder.

Went to CarsDirect and he said there was one in San Diego at that time and if I didn't want white I would have to get one from Nevada.

Needless to say we took the white one and we love it.

Bob
Old 01-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfponto View Post
Not sure on the regular cab but I had a hard time finding an 07 Access Cab 4x4 4-Cylinder.

Went to CarsDirect and he said there was one in San Diego at that time and if I didn't want white I would have to get one from Nevada.

Needless to say we took the white one and we love it.

Bob
That's a damn impressive garage you have !
Old 01-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
surfponto is on a distinguished road
surfponto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
That's a damn impressive garage you have !
Thanks. Probably have to sell the FJ Cruiser at some point since gas isn't going down anytime soon.