Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Curious

Old 08-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
rutherk1's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to rutherk1
Curious

I replaced my 2008 tacoma for an identical 2009 tacoma. 08 was NUMMI and 09 is Mexico. I have been doing research here and there because operations has always interested me. The Mexico plant has 800 workers and has quite a bit less automation when compared to the Freemont plant.

1 place where it is obvious that automation was not used is in the firewall seams.

Does anyones tacoma look like this under the hood. It appears that a sealer is brushed on. My 08 had a nice bead that looks like Johnny 5 put it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Curious-img_0372.jpg  
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, very interesting. I was hoping mine was made in mexico, but it was made in CA
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
rutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud ofrutherk1 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Wow, very interesting. I was hoping mine was made in mexico, but it was made in CA
Not that 1 is better than the other but am kind of curious to see if this is a difference between 2 trucks where 1 comes out of a fully automated facility and the other does not.

To be honest, it looks pretty sloppy. The seam sealer on the bottom of the truck is the same way. Both very thin in both places.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutherk1 View Post
Not that 1 is better than the other but am kind of curious to see if this is a difference between 2 trucks where 1 comes out of a fully automated facility and the other does not.

To be honest, it looks pretty sloppy. The seam sealer on the bottom of the truck is the same way. Both very thin in both places.
Well the toyota plant in mexico ranked 2nd in its class in least number of factry defects. Ranked just behind Mercedes
Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
looks like they had some extra plumbers caulk lying around.wtf.mine has some but they painted over it.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
ya that doesnt look right mine doesnt look like that its a 2005 and I dont know where it was made, how do I tell?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
ya that doesnt look right mine doesnt look like that its a 2005 and I dont know where it was made, how do I tell?
First digit of the Vin tells you. I am not sure what it means though
Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #8
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjason View Post
Thanks to a recent unintelligent thread, I thought it might be interesting to see if there are any trends where specific models are built in US or Mexico. If your VIN starts with a 3 your truck was built in Mexico, if it starts with 5 it was built in the US.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
my old golf was built in mexico while the jettas werent, I dont know about the jettas but my golf was a piece... nothing but problems. I will check my vin when I am done work
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
Well the toyota plant in mexico ranked 2nd in its class in least number of factry defects. Ranked just behind Mercedes
That is interesting. Is that a legitimate statement? Mercedes has the least amount of factory defects?

I'm not saying that it's a defect or anything is wrong, it is just apparent in a few various places that humans built this thing. So far its a solid truck.