Notices

extra capacity oil filter

Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
j31driver is on a distinguished road
Army: F.I.S.T.
Name: chris
j31driver's Tacoma Gallery
extra capacity oil filter

Hi there, new to tacomaworld and new to Toyota. Just got my new 09 Tacoma base 2 w/d 2.7 liter 5 speed. I love it so far! I have so far taken the secondary air filter out and put on an engine pre -oiler. I have always used Purolater's best for oil filters and I am looking for an extra capacity filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris
Old 08-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
I think that possibly the filter for the 6 cylinder might be greater capacity and might be interchangeable with the 4 cylinder filter. Check with your dealer parts department.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
mpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud ofmpgnc64 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Heavy Repair CE
Name: Mike and Denise
mpgnc64's Tacoma Gallery
I use a K&N pn 2009 for my 2.7. Its larger and the 1" nut on the bottom makes it real easy to remove.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Word of advice so you can make adult decisions.

Use of a non cataloged spec'd oversize filter for any application is grounds for the filter maker to deny warranty claim if the filter fails and engine problems result.

Use of any filter that is not Toyota OEM, is grounds for Toyota to deny warranty claim for any oil filter related problems.

With that said, any filter that is equivalent to FRAM PH3600 is a good oversize filter for your application. (Just stay away from FRAM)

Ford Motorcraft FL-400S filters are a good one also and are made by Purolator
Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Also, they can't deny you your warranty for using an aftermarket filter if it meets spec per that court case of which then name I forget at the moment. If you used K&N's filter, they would even fight it for you if you were denied.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
Omnipotent
Hootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedHootbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Hootbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Also, they can't deny you your warranty for using an aftermarket filter if it meets spec per that court case of which then name I forget at the moment. If you used K&N's filter, they would even fight it for you if you were denied.
If the after market filter is the cause of failure, you are still stuck getting restitution through that after market filter maker.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
SCCAKen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
SCCAKen's Tacoma Gallery
Not a court case...

but an act of Congress.

http://www.free-lemon-law-guide.com/...rranty-act.php

Yeah, you might get forced into arbitration.

Advice is worth price paid.

Ken (from Atlanta. I am not a lawyer or play one on TV.)