Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Reciever Hitch Pin Lock

Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Reciever Hitch Pin Lock

Has anyone found a locking hitch pin for the Tacoma 2nd Gen reciever that fits? I bought a Trimax locking unit but the locking head would not seat - I discovered that the receiver on the Tacoma is built up and the outside diameter is slightly wider by about 1/4" than most 2" recievers.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
O.F.
bb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbb609 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: JFK Center, Fort Bragg, NC
bb609's Tacoma Gallery
Does the lock itself have rubber on the end of it where it contacts the hitch? Pull it off. Been a while but I recall having to do this with mine.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
shootermcgavinyo is on a distinguished road
shootermcgavinyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
Does the lock itself have rubber on the end of it where it contacts the hitch? Pull it off. Been a while but I recall having to do this with mine.
That's what I had to do. I forget which model of lock I have, but it's some sort of Masterlock.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Master 1469. Then add two 5/8" ID garden hose washers to remove the side-to-side slack.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Banned
Pster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shedPster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrad View Post
Master 1469. Then add two 5/8" ID garden hose washers to remove the side-to-side slack.
Excellent, thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb609 View Post
No, the Trimax I have doesn't have my rubber on the ends. I had to file down the locking lip on the shaft to get the keyed end to lock onto it, but it really compromised the integrity of the lock, afraid I ruined it......
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Coprolite
monrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to allmonrad is a name known to all

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pster View Post
Is this the one?
Yep. The lock has a rubber cover, and rotates on the pin so you can get at. Squirt some Teflon powder in the keyhole to make it work smoothly.

WalMart has it for less $$.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Banned
Pster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by monrad View Post
Yep. The lock has a rubber cover, and rotates on the pin so you can get at. Squirt some Teflon powder in the keyhole to make it work smoothly.

WalMart has it for less $$.
Excellent, I researched it and ordered it on Ebay, $24 including shipping. You are correct, it is actually designed for later model hitch receivers that are wider than 2" O.D. (like the Tacoma). Perfect solution. I appreciate your suggestion Monrad.......!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Coprolite

monrad's Tacoma Gallery
My pleasure.

Next time you're south on I-77, give a shout and wave at Exit 27.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sweet. i needed this thread. I need to buy a hitch lock to keep my winch from disappearing.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
hey...I can change this!
kbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkbp68 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kbp68's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I was the only one!!! I had to trim about 1/8" from the plastic handle on the head from the masterlock pin at wal-mart. It works fine now.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #14
thoward is on a distinguished road
thoward's Tacoma Gallery
receiver hitch pin lock

I have a master lock, took the rubber washers off and the lock fit just barely with some force. Now, i can't get the lock off and the key won't turn becasue it's too tight and not enough slack. Any ideas how to get it off?
Old 03-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
05SuperChrg is on a distinguished road
05SuperChrg's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting--I have a Master lock pin used it on my Lexus, I tried to take the boat out this weekend and....nogo the pin would not lock. I looked around and tried to find a longer pin---nope. My bicycle carrier lock would not work either....

So I cranked up the air compressor and dremmel and removed metal from the holes on the receiver end, now it fits minus the rubber bushing.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #16
African Light Infantry
09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of09TRDSpt has much to be proud of

09TRDSpt's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same one from my prior Jeep. It won't work on the Taco, its about 1/4 too wide for the lock to seat. I can still use it on my other vehicles though. I guess when I need a lock I'll have to get one of the other model's, been just using a regular pin for now.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
I have been using one similar to this since 2005

Masterlock. Towing a 3500lb bass boat, no problems.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #19
YGWYPF
RainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainDodger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Naval Aviator
RainDodger's Tacoma Gallery
Have one just like genxer36... I bought it about an hour ago at a U-Haul dealer. Same thing. Fits perfectly.