1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is snow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hedg21, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    kilted1117

kilted1117 I smell corn

Member:
    First Name:
    Gophuk Yousef
    Valparaiso, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma SR5 4dr Magnetic Grey
    Zippo.
    Snow's that shit that falls from the sky for 8 months here. Practice, good tires, patience and jumper cables

2. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    If you opt for chains, make sure they go on the BACK tires, not the front. I have seen folks put chains on non-drive wheels. This makes for an interesting scene when you have vehicles trying to move and then trying to steer, once they are moving.

3. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    you wont need chains on your tires, hes not going to be climbing mountains or anything

4. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Everyone has pretty much covered everything already. Can't stress enough to watch otu for the other people to. Only close calls I have had have been due to other idiots.

They did this when I first had drivers ed when I was 16. Thankfully it was winter when I was just learning to drive so I basically learned to drive in the snow. Helped tremendously knowing how your car is going to react and how to correct yourself in these situations. I've never had a problem and don't mind driving in it at all. This is the first time I'll have 4x4 for the snow.

5. Aug 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    BFG all terrains work well in the snow. im from southern NY but snow is snow, you'll just be getting A LOT more of it then i will. ive never used weight in the bed but it cant hurt, ive always been fine in 4HI in the snow. and like others have said, find an empty lot the first time it snows and mess around, its fun and you'll learn what you need to know.

6. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM
    -TRDMAN-

-TRDMAN- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Clarion Pa
    Vehicle:
    F-150
    If your truck has tires that you can run durring summer(meaning you don't NEED new tires) Spend the money to get snow tires...

7. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    Welcome to Upstate NY, and lake-effect snow country.

Your 09' truck has VSC/TRAC which will keep you in line pretty good and make it easier winter driving than a 05-08'. Your tires aren't great, but you can get by taking it easy. Read the advice that others have posted eariler about practice (try w/o the safety nannies too).

If you really want the best winter driving experience and dont mind the extra $ and seasonal change over, dedicated winter tires make a huge difference, best $500 I've spent on the truck.

Otherwise, 200 lbs in the bed, collaspable shovel, winter wiper blade for at least the drivers side, your ready to rock. No need for chains up here unless you got a thing for driving thru +2ft on closed roads

8. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM
    65tacodude

65tacodude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    Manteno, IL
    Vehicle:
    '18 Tundra Platnium
    OEM running boards and roof rack. Yellow fog bulbs and WeatherTech mats and window visors.
    All these are really good points. I always like to carry a book of matches or a lighter(never know when youll need them), an extra coat or sweatshirt, gloves, and hat. A gerber or small knife is also good(tho may be illegal).

9. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    AaronM

AaronM Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Double-cab SR5 LB
    Definitely get SNOW tires. All Season Tires are useless anywhere near to freezing, the rubber gets too hard.

Always assume the intersection is a skating rink.

Something people seem to forget around here in their SUVs and such (lowermainland, BC, canada) where we don't get a ton of snow, is that 4X4 will not help you STOP any faster than your 4 wheels do already. Go slow.

Carry a snow shovel. Not a big wide one, but rather one you can excavate with.

10. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:42 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    A few tips from my years of driving on snow, and worse yet, ice....

Pay attention to as far in front of you as possible. Any time you brake, you're creating potential to slide (especially on ice). If you can just lift off the gas and gradually slow down to avoind having to brake hard, the chances of sliding are greatly reduced.

If you slide, turn into the the direction you are sliding to keep from spinning out.

IMO the ABS on our trucks sucks. Try not to hit the brake too hard too often.
    When you do have to hit the brake, and ABS engages, keep steering where you want to go without lifting your foot.

Avoid driving on ice. Peroid. Sure, 4wd may help you get going, but on un treated roads nothing will help you stop.

Always have a heavy coat and blankets in the truck in case you get stuck.

When accelerating, torque is bad (especially in just 2x4). To avoid your wheels from spinning, accelerate slowly. As soon as your wheels begin to spin on pavement, you lose control of your vehicle.

Stay out of the snow banks. Stay in the grooves where others have already driven. If you veer out of these, you can get sucked into walls or down hills.

Pray. I had one close call in my old Explorer where I got sucked into the snow bank, did a complete 180 degree turn in traffic going 40 mph, and started going down a hill. Somehow, for some reason, my SUV went back up the hill and turned around and stopped on the shoulder. There is simply no explanation for this other than someone looking down on me....

Good luck!

11. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    AaronM

AaronM Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    2010 Red Double-cab SR5 LB
    One thing that was pointed out to me about snow tires: Having Seasonal tires is only a little more money than having one set of tires, because while the snow tires are on, you're not wearing down the other tires. It just seems expensive due to the up front cash required.

12. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Definitely weight in the bed!

13. Aug 26, 2009 at 12:59 PM
    brandob9

brandob9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Long Bed
    Soundproofed cab, beeps purged, bed lights, extra bed tie-downs and TSB springs.
    One more: If the wheels start to spin, lift off the throttle. More throttle WILL hurt your cause.

14. Aug 26, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    cantac09

cantac09 Official TW Igloo Builder

Member:
    First Name:
    Hugh Jass
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    stock
    block heater, winter tires, 4x4, and sand bags at least 5

15. Aug 26, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    reg boulette

reg boulette Well-Known Member

Member:
    Have your radiator antifreeze checked to make sure it will handle -40 (same in both celcius and fahrenheit). With windchill factors (temp and wind temp) you may need this occasionally. Prevent rad and block cracks. As well, get the coldest rated windshield washer fluid again for temp and wind temp speed of truck.

If locals tell you block heater not necessarily needed, consider at least purchase of plug in battery blanket.

Synthetic engine oil - 5W30 - good for cold startups.

Just for fun, a few hours drive into Ontario, Canada, 3 hours north of Toronto, rent a snowmobile and try the trail system out for something completely different when you get a leave.

16. Aug 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Beeg

Beeg Active Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Skis

17. Aug 26, 2009 at 1:35 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    you shouldnt need any mods other than tires, and some winter boots in your back seat in case you have to walk somewhere. also you might be interested in getting a block heater and a cab heater. I love my cab heater that I had in my old truck gonna get one in this truck for this upcoming winter

18. Aug 26, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    otter

otter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    MI
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl Reg Cab
    Already touched on in here, but the best thing you must do is practice and learn how your car/truck handles in the snow. Know the limits, learn how to brake/slow down in the snow, know how to handle fishtailing and the like. A good driver + good tires is key in snow. My little FWD Lancer with snow tires is able to out perform most of the morons in 4WD SUVs.

19. Aug 26, 2009 at 3:17 PM
    tserpico

tserpico New Member

Member:
    nj
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab 4wd off road sr5
    2 in lift, bug deflector, grill
    snow you can see, black ice you can't. be careful after a night of heavy frost or dew that freezes on the road surface and forms a thin sheet of ice. very dangerous.use low gear down hills to help slow down without braking hard.

20. Aug 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    211Mike

211Mike Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 grey access cab 4x4, pretty much stock
    LED fog lights
    Learn how to drive your truck in 2WD in the snow before using 4WD. Too many people think that 4WD is the be all and end all for driving in the snow and it becomes a crutch that they cannot get by without it.

When I was in the army and we taught off-road driving we would not let the students put ther vehicles in 4WD until they understood that they could get pretty much anywhere in 2WD. If they were going somewhere that really required 4WD they had to ask themselves if they really needed to follow that route, operational considerations aside.

Products Discussed in

To Top