Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4WD Lo indicator light flashing ???

Old 08-29-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
4WD Lo indicator light flashing ???

I was backing out of a friends driveway last night and the 4WD Lo (red symbol) indicator light began flashing as soon as I started backing up.
The 4WD switch was turned to 2WD. I went down the interstate and it flashed all the way home. When I got home, I turned the switch to 4WD Hi and the green symbol lit up but the red symbol for Lo also stayed on and continued flashing. I switched back and forth between all of them going foward and backing up and could not ever get the 4WD Lo light to quit flashing. I'm getting ready to leave here soon and drive it and I will see what is happening today. I know that the 4WD Lo is not really engaging because I was driving down the interstate going 70 and only tacking 2000 RPM's. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 08-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
IgnoringChrisWatchingEdLi veVicariouslyThroughMJP2
TacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoNut is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
TacoNut's Tacoma Gallery
X2 on the dealer... defiantly a warranty fix
Old 08-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did that a few times last winter after washing it at work with a high pressure hose (to get the road salt and Ice off the truck) after it dried the light went out.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
jgguns is on a distinguished road

jgguns's Tacoma Gallery
The 4-low indicator on my truck is orange. The Rear Diff-Lock is Red. Do you have a rear diff lock? If that button has been pushed in it will flash continually until you switch to 4-low unless you have done the anytime mod.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgguns View Post
The 4-low indicator on my truck is orange. The Rear Diff-Lock is Red. Do you have a rear diff lock? If that button has been pushed in it will flash continually until you switch to 4-low unless you have done the anytime mod.
Damn....that was it. The freakin' Rear Diff. Lock button was pushed. I never had that button on my 1st Generation Taco and never thought about that. I must have accidently hit it when i was turning on the fog lights. Rep for you jgguns thanks for suggesting I check that out.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #7
jgguns is on a distinguished road

jgguns's Tacoma Gallery
Glad I could help. Since you didn't know that you had the diff-lock then I assume you haven't tried using it. If you wheel at all it can be a very useful feature especially when used in conjuction with ATRAC. As it comes from the factory it will only work when the Transfer case is in 4-low but it can be modified to lock up in any range including 4-HI.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Soon as I saw "red" I was like "he accidentally whacked his locker button".

jgguns called it. jgguns also has good taste in truck configurations and colors.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #9

I have used the button before with a heavy load of firewood going up a steep muddy incline in 4WD Lo and it crawled right up out of there without spinning a tire. Friday night when I left my friends house it had been raining and was starting to get foggy so turned on the fog lights, I must had accidently pushed the locker switch also.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Tacomama is on a distinguished road
Army: signal
Name: Sherry
Tacomama's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys! Saved me a trip to the dealer!

Thank you so much guys! I know this was an old post but after using my 4wd for about a week during a winter storm, the red light was flashing and I couldn't get it to stop. Had already started trying to line up an alternate ride for next week so I could drop my Tacoma off at the dealer for repair. Decided I'd check Tacoma World as a last ditch effort before scheduling with the service dept. Saw this thread and ran out to the garage and sure enough the dang rear difff switch was on!!! Thanks again, you saved me time, money, and aggravation!!!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgguns View Post
Glad I could help. Since you didn't know that you had the diff-lock then I assume you haven't tried using it. If you wheel at all it can be a very useful feature especially when used in conjuction with ATRAC. As it comes from the factory it will only work when the Transfer case is in 4-low but it can be modified to lock up in any range including 4-HI.
A-TRAC wasn't on Tacomas until 2009 model.

Also, the A-TRAC works excellent alone (without the rear locked)... In fact, A-TRAC shuts off above 3 mph with the rear locked. Consider the locker as a back up and always wheel in L4 with A-TRAC on for max. traction. Toyota warns us the rear locker is for emergency use only to get unstuck and not use over 5 mph. The A-TRAC has no such warning or limit.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Last post was before someone revived it was on 08-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
^^ it doesnt matter to him...just another opening...lol
Old 01-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomama View Post
Thank you so much guys! I know this was an old post but after using my 4wd for about a week during a winter storm, the red light was flashing and I couldn't get it to stop. Had already started trying to line up an alternate ride for next week so I could drop my Tacoma off at the dealer for repair. Decided I'd check Tacoma World as a last ditch effort before scheduling with the service dept. Saw this thread and ran out to the garage and sure enough the dang rear difff switch was on!!! Thanks again, you saved me time, money, and aggravation!!!
This post bumped this thread ^^^

The lovely sounding Sherry
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #15
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
This post bumped this thread ^^^
we know...but it doesnt matter to some
Old 01-23-2011, 10:58 PM   #16
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
we know...but it doesnt matter to some
Like me
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #17
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Like me
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Not to stray from the serious advice and help offered, but am I the only Tacoma that has entirely different L4 and Rear Locker lights? How does one confuse a blinking Rear Locker light with the Low Range light? Or are they the same and those drugs from the 60's are kicking in?
Old 01-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #20
Tacomama is on a distinguished road
Army: signal
Name: Sherry
Tacomama's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

The lights look the same (identical little pictures of the driveshaft, axles, wheels) but when I'm in 4lo its solid green and just below that light is the red blinking one for rear diff lock....Since the pix were identical, one green, one red...I was fearful that it was some warning light for a problem with my 4wd mechanism. Believe me, I'm not defending my ignorance...I recognize that mechanical problems are not my strong suit...I'm a 48 year old female who has owned my truck for less than 6 months so I attempting to LEARN...I really think most women would have just taken it to the dealer as her first effort rather than attempt to identify the problem and learn more about her vehicle...I'm sure you have areas that are not your strongest assets: empathy with others, being nice to strangers, keeping quiet if you can't say something nice...just a few that come to mind. Thank you, though for concern. I hope you have an awesome day.