Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Waiting before going to synthetic?

Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #21
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
HUH?! There is nothing in the manual stating exactly what type/brand of oil to use so that is not an issue.

Just use the synthetic. It's oil not rocket science.
I'm not referring to his using synthetic oil, I WAS referring
to him changing his oil every 10 thousand miles. That is CLEARLY stated in the manual.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
kngharley is on a distinguished road

kngharley's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota uses a "synthetic blend" from the factory here in Ca. If you want to see the truth about the "blend" pull an oil sample next time you do a change and send it to a lab. Most parts stores can tell you how to sample and where to send it to. It costs about 20-30 bucks.I have run synthetic in every vehicle since it came out about 10 years ago with ZERO problems!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #23
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Duty ammo

I use the 230 gr. Hydro Shock .45 ACP myself.
Most of the good ol` boys will tell you to put 10,000 of dino oil on it.
I have 96,00. I figure that is good enough.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:13 AM   #24
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post
Just reading the warning about Toyota not encouraging synthetic oil.

I thought if you're really obsessive compulsive about it, like I am with a lot of things, you can have Toyota officially change the oil. Thus, you have their receipt.

Then change it out at home to synthetic. Expensive but get you what you want both ways. You get their compliance and you get your oil.
My dealer carries M1. Toyota stands behind the dealer.
I know that much.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Army: Sp4 in Personel Section HQ CO.
Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota officially does not encourage syn oil but all of the dealers in my area, central MA. offer syn change. I believe Toyota states if you change your own oil , you must use an oil that meets or exceeds standard oil......Certainly Mobil One does that.

All you have to do is look around at all the other vehicles that have been going for years on syn oil. I don't see any problems with it. Perform your maint and keep receipts of oil and filters.
Jeff, 06,V6,6spd,SR5, Radiant Red
Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #26
230g Hydra-Shok is on a distinguished road
230g Hydra-Shok's Tacoma Gallery
Jeff, that's a sweet looking smallmouth! The pic is a little small but I'd guess 5 pounds.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #27
Jeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to allJeff is a name known to all

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you , hydra-Shok, I have to say that it was close to 4lbs and it was one of about 25 we caught along that shore line behind me. Of course all were released unharmed to grow up to be 5lbers.
My fishing partner and I have been fishing there for years and have never taken any fish but a couple of salmon that we caught accidently, while after our 5lb+ smallie quest. my fishing buddy (who is taking the picture) has caught a 6lb smallie on a tiny torpedo plug not far from that spot. If you would like I will email you some other pictures. My personal best on that resevoir is a 6.5 largie, which I caught less than 1/8 of a mile from there also.
Its a drinking water supply and has lots of restrictions but the water is crystal clear and you can see at least 25ft down. All of the fish caught there have the best colors you can imagine as the water is very clean and untreated.
Jeff, 06,V6, 6spd SR5,Radiant Red
Old 01-09-2008, 05:07 PM   #28
230g Hydra-Shok is on a distinguished road
230g Hydra-Shok's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta love 'em. Smallies are the best fighting fish out there. You get a 3-pounder on and it feels like an 8 pound largemouth.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:07 AM   #29
Critter is on a distinguished road

Critter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 230g Hydra-Shok View Post
Gotta love 'em. Smallies are the best fighting fish out there. You get a 3-pounder on and it feels like an 8 pound largemouth.

But Walleye are best eating by far,tight lines!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #30
Banned
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
My dealer carries M1. Toyota stands behind the dealer.
I know that much.
My dealer also has M1. At 10,000 I `m
going to replace even the power steering fluid with synthetic.
I like Wall eye too.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #31
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kngharley View Post
Toyota uses a "synthetic blend" from the factory here in Ca. If you want to see the truth about the "blend" pull an oil sample next time you do a change and send it to a lab. Most parts stores can tell you how to sample and where to send it to. It costs about 20-30 bucks.I have run synthetic in every vehicle since it came out about 10 years ago with ZERO problems!!!

Thanks!!! I've been looking for someone in a post that knows what the "factory oil" is. Who manufactures the oil, anymore details would be great.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #32
uuc328 is on a distinguished road

uuc328's Tacoma Gallery
as stated above, switch when you stop getting the free changes. that's what i'm doing
Old 10-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #33
jrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrw1965 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aircraft Maintenance
Name: John
jrw1965's Tacoma Gallery
This is my 5th toyota (3 4Runners, 2 Tacomas) I've done it right at 5K
Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #34
spaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud ofspaghettiedy has much to be proud of

Army: Ret. USAR Sgt.
spaghettiedy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw1965 View Post
This is my 5th toyota (3 4Runners, 2 Tacomas) I've done it right at 5K
Jrw,

Out or curiosity, how long did they last you?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 10-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #35
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghettiedy View Post
Jrw,

Out or curiosity, how long did they last you?

Thanks,
Ed
I had an 82 SR5 4x4 Toyota PU that lasted me to 283,000 miles until I sold it to someone who wanted the engine. It was the 22R engine, 4 banger.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #36

Jeff's Tacoma Gallery
I have two neighbors who are long term Taco guys, they get about 250,000 out of a truck, there trucks mostly rusted out before they gave out. They are maint nuts, and do everything, timing chains etc themselves. I think they have had 3 each, the latest are 2004's, V6, new exhaust, 5spds,4x4's they put the superchargers on them. They are not afraid of using them as workhorses either.
One of them had a early 90's truck, at 90,000 it blew a head gasket, he faxed Toyota the maint records etc and Toyota paid for the repair with the exception of oil and filter.

Jeff ,06,SR5, V6, 6spd 4x4