Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Waiting before going to synthetic?

Old 01-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
230g Hydra-Shok is on a distinguished road
230g Hydra-Shok's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting before going to synthetic?

Hey gang.

I'll be getting my '08 TRD with 6-speed in less than 2 weeks! This will be my second Tacoma; the first was an '03 TRD.

I live in Iowa where temps range from -15 in the winter to 95 in the summer. At some point I'm going to put in Amsoil 0W-30 synthtic oil, as it's made for these extreme conditions, but I'm unsure of when to do the changeover.

Some people say it's best to wait until 3,000 miles are on the odometer, and some say it's fine to switch it right off the bat.

What say you?

Thanks for the help. This looks like a popular website with a bunch of trustworthy people.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Do it the next oil change, you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
Do it the next oil change, you should be fine.
Yeah, I probably will. Better safe than sorry type of thing. Thanks a lot!
Old 01-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Texas and we do not have as harsh of those winters as where you are at. I plan to let the dino oil stay in there for the first 10K miles to let her get broke in some and then go to synthetic after that.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'm leaving it in until i stop getting my free changes...haha...i think like 45k or so...then when its on my own buck and labor, i'll be going to mobil1 5-30
Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
switch over now if you want to. it isnt gonna hurt anything.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
SteveO is on a distinguished road
SteveO's Tacoma Gallery
I did a dino oil change at 1500 miles. At 5000 I will switch to the same Amsoil you mentioned as well as change out all of the other fluids to Amsoil.

I've decided to run the Amsoil for 10,000 miles with a filter change at each 5000 mile interval. It's less than suggested by Amsoil, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd love to hear pros and cons on my "strategy."

P.S. I live in Cedar Falls, Iowa; so I know what you mean about temperatures! Summers, though, I spend beating the crap out of my vehicles in the West.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
switch over now if you want to. it isnt gonna hurt anything.
I agree with tacomaman06, change over to synthetics whenever you want,a couple different oil mfgr. websites talk about this in the FAQs. What part of Iowa you from ? I bought my Tacoma at Bluffs Toyota in Council Bluffs IA.They`re moved to Bellevue NE now.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
Wow, lots of Iowans here! I'm just north of Des Moines.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I did a dino oil change at 1500 miles. At 5000 I will switch to the same Amsoil you mentioned as well as change out all of the other fluids to Amsoil.

I've decided to run the Amsoil for 10,000 miles with a filter change at each 5000 mile interval. It's less than suggested by Amsoil, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'd love to hear pros and cons on my "strategy."

P.S. I live in Cedar Falls, Iowa; so I know what you mean about temperatures! Summers, though, I spend beating the crap out of my vehicles in the West.
The only cons I can see is that if you ever have an engine problem and you need to warranty your block, Toyota will take one look at your records and void the waranty. In order to keep your warranty intact, you have to follow manufatures recommondations and NOT product recommondations.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #12
Critter is on a distinguished road

Critter's Tacoma Gallery
I went Mobil 1 synthetic 1st oil change 5w30.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
The only cons I can see is that if you ever have an engine problem and you need to warranty your block, Toyota will take one look at your records and void the waranty. In order to keep your warranty intact, you have to follow manufatures recommondations and NOT product recommondations.
Not suggesting anyone be less than honest, but if one were "creative" couldn't you just write down that you changed the oil at 3,000 miles with whatever oil Toyota suggests? I mean, are they really going to do an oil analysis if you need engine work?
Old 01-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
Leer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura aboutLeer has a spectacular aura about
Name: Lee
Leer's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, I know what you mean, but believe me if there is a problem they are gonna look for any way out of an engine swap.

I'm positive that they are going to want to know who did you maintenance and they are going to want proof via reciepts.

Having reciepts for the filter every 5000 miles will be acceptable but having reciepts that only reflect oil changes every 10k miles will get you a voided warranty very quickly.

I'm not trying to be the ass, please don't take it that way,I just want to make sure you are aware of problems you may face down the road.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
SteveO is on a distinguished road
SteveO's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for your comments on my "strategy." Looks like it's best that I fall back on the 5,000 mile oil change and filter change. I will, however, continue to use synthetics. In my last Tacoma (using Mobile 1), it increase my mileage more than enough to compensate for the increased cost.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 AM   #16
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
Just reading the warning about Toyota not encouraging synthetic oil.

I thought if you're really obsessive compulsive about it, like I am with a lot of things, you can have Toyota officially change the oil. Thus, you have their receipt.

Then change it out at home to synthetic. Expensive but get you what you want both ways. You get their compliance and you get your oil.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post

I thought if you're really obsessive compulsive about it, like I am with a lot of things, you can have Toyota officially change the oil. Thus, you have their receipt.

Then change it out at home to synthetic. Expensive but get you what you want both ways. You get their compliance and you get your oil.
$$$I knew I shoulda went into some kind of medical profession$$$
Old 01-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed45longcolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45longcolt's Tacoma Gallery
ERdept, where did you see the "NO" synthetic warning? If it is only an "encourage not to" instead of your "warranty will be voided", seems it is OK to use it.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #19
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leer View Post
HUH?! There is nothing in the manual stating exactly what type/brand of oil to use so that is not an issue.

Just use the synthetic. It's oil not rocket science.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #20
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERdept View Post

Ah, so everybody immediately stop doing mods and go back to stock. Shut down the site, game over.

It says absolutely NOWHERE in my manual or in my warranty docs not to use synthetic.