Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2600 Mile Road Trip Moving Across Canada

Old 08-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
2600 Mile Road Trip Moving Across Canada

I just thought I would share my experiences moving from Kitchener Ontario to Canmore Alberta.

Used my 2006 Tacoma V6 Double Cab 4x4 6 speed

Had plenty of power, hardly had to down change on any hills with a good load on the back. Had the rear seats folded down and gear packed to the roof. In the back had 4 snow tires/rims for my gf's car, two mountain bikes, ikea bed and mattress, two loaded snowboard bags, 3 rubbermaid tubs full of stuff. I made a bed extender to hold the bikes and give us a bit more room.

Not sure the total weight I had but you can see the sag in the suspension, any decent bumps resulted in the shocks bottoming out which wasn't the most comfortable ride.

However I managed to get an average of 20.9 mpg for the entire trip which I was pretty happy with considering how much the truck was loaded up.

Here are some pics.

And here we are at our new place

Old 08-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
great pics. I just got back from a 1600km road trip site seeing around Newfoundland. I thought that was a lot of driving, nothing compared to you. I found the truck awesome on the highway and very comfortable.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
where was the rest of your stuff?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
ttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shedttylerr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
ttylerr's Tacoma Gallery
gorgeous house!
can i come?
i want to get out of the kitch so bad
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
Resident Canuck
HwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to allHwyRogue is a name known to all

HwyRogue's Tacoma Gallery
Canmore is gorgeous, no doubt about it - but the cost of living there is ....a tad high.... at least you made the trip in a top notch vehicle!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
Nice trip, I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia pulling a 5000lb trailer.
Long drive with two restless kids and a dog, Back in Meaford Ont area now.
Attached Thumbnails
2600 Mile Road Trip Moving Across Canada-dsc02867.jpg  
Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRogue View Post
Canmore is gorgeous, no doubt about it - but the cost of living there is ....a tad high.... at least you made the trip in a top notch vehicle!
Hence my rich bastard comment.

Amazing place to live though. Simply gorgeous. Only down side is the weather can literally change in 10 minutes. No warning.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
snorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnorola is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
snorola's Tacoma Gallery
just to clarify we are NOT rich! that is why I have a base model not a TRD haha

Only renting a room in this place!

This is pretty much all of our stuff, I am from New Zealand and only been living in North America 3 years moving around a lot so havn't accumulated much stuff. My girlfriends parents are driving her car out here in a month with some more stuff, that is why I had to bring the snow tires.

Yeah Canmore is expensive, I lived here 2 years ago but prices have dropped a bit and can earn alot more money than in Ontario. My partner is a day care teacher, she got $13/ hour in Ontario.... she is starting on $21/ hour here! Plus I love the mountains, great mountain biking now at our door step!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
A fellow Kiwi!

Canmore is great. I just want it for all the Skiing.

Base model is just as capable as the TRD for most applications. You only need the locker for off roading.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 AM   #14
SSrUs will become famous soon enoughSSrUs will become famous soon enough

SSrUs's Tacoma Gallery
Lucky you! The Canadian Rockies are absolutely beautiful up there. I've gotta make another visit to that area sometime.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
tracker is on a distinguished road

tracker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by meafordmike View Post
Nice trip, I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia pulling a 5000lb trailer.
What kind of mileage did you get towing and any problems.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
What kind of mileage did you get towing and any problems.
I really need to get a scan-Gauge so I can track mileage, but I can get 600km on hwy, but pulling the trailer barely 300km this trip. No real problems, truck pulls nice, I did get my rear diff oil changed while I was in Nova Scotia because it was getting super hot while pulling the trailer. I don't know how hot the diff should get but mine was super hot.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #17
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Ah Canmore....Mountains and mountain biking!

quote=meafordmike;892387]Nice trip, I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia pulling a 5000lb trailer.
Long drive with two restless kids and a dog, Back in Meaford Ont area now.[/quote]

Did you come through Saint John Mike?
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Ah Canmore....Mountains and mountain biking!

quote=meafordmike;892387]Nice trip, I just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia pulling a 5000lb trailer.
Did you come through Saint John Mike?[/quote]
No I went from Oromocto to Moncton.
I was thinking of going back by Saint John and into Calis Maine, but I was pushed for time I had a mountain bike race to get back for.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #19
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha....Thought you may have passed through town.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Way to pile her up. Nice seeing another homemade bed extender, use mine all the time. How did setup your latches?

21 mpg (US gallon?), amazing how on long trips with a full 1000lb load, the short gearing of the 6spd is perfect. Always seem to pull 21+ mpg on long trips all summer.