Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Your servicing thoughts

Old 01-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Your servicing thoughts

My 2007 Tacoma Prerunner is up for a 15k service, which supposedly includes...

replace engine oil
install toyota dual stage oil filter
basic transmission service
lube chassis (if applicable)
adjust/tighten parking brake
rotate tires
multi point inspection
replace air filter
inspect timing scope adjust to factory specs (as necessary)
inspect efi system
road test.

Price is $169.95 from a dealer in Scottsdale AZ.

What has everyone else done? Take it for a Jiffy Lube oil change and forget about the rest? I'm into the truck for the long haul hopefully so I want to take care of it - but do not want to do the work myself and do not want to hand out money just like that (though $170 does seem reasonable).

Your opinions are requested!
Old 01-06-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
basically, for a 15k mile service, all that really needs to be done is oil/filter change,rotate tires and adj air pressure in them, and replace air filter maybe. these trucks dont need anything done to the transmission for 100k miles, and the rest is basically just looking things over. i wouldnt come close to paying that much for a 15k service(i do all my servicing myself however), but i really wont recommend jiffy lube either. if you know a mechanic or reputable shop in your area, i believe i would go there before any "jify lube" type place. then again, if you can afford it and dont mind paying what the dealer wants for their service, by all means take it there. then if something goes wrong from work they have done, they cant blame it on anything else.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, there is a video on the internet from a news channel that took vehicles to 5 or 6 jiffy lubes around this one town and they didnt even do half the work they were charging for
Old 01-07-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Tacomaman06 is right, find a good shop, avoid jiffy lube.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You sound like you really enjoy the truck.....

Why not do the work yourself? It's a GREAT way to bond with the truck and you'll learn sooooo much more about how to take care of it even BETTER than the dealerships or shops.

DO NOT GO TO JIFFY LUBE or any quick lube place!!!

I would find a reputable toyota dealership and have them do the work. They should be the most qualified and trained people to work on your truck. And, they should get it right everytime (although, I'd check their work anyway). The fact that you're still under warrantee - is an even better reason to take it to a dealer.

At only 15k miles (assuming you don't abuse your truck) - I personally would do:
oil change
tire rotation
check tire pressure
check air filter

And after that if you're bored and have time...check coolant fluid level, steering fluid level, battery/clean connections, overall inspetion of belts & evidence of leaks. Crawl underneath the truck and look around...for obvious things.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
My advice would be to download the Factory Service Manual. Somebody's got a link and I downloaded it. Go through that and do the work yourself. 15K service looks pretty easy, I'm sure you've changed your own oil before, that looks like the hardest part of the deal. Nobody care about your truck like you do, you should be able to do most maintenance jobs by yourself, it'll give you a sense of pride in knowing you did it right. Rather then having to guess of the scumbag dealer torqued everything down within spec. There is a thread on this forum about the service manual you should search for it and download the manual.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
yeah, there is a video on the internet from a news channel that took vehicles to 5 or 6 jiffy lubes around this one town and they didnt even do half the work they were charging for
I saw that too..I thought it was like 6 outa 9 places were really scammin people.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

we had a thread on the "jiffy lube" bs places............

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...iffy-lube.html
Old 01-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #10
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Diy

Do it yourself. Save your money for gas. Now when it comes to the 30,000 mark I can't say. I have a 2005 TRD SR5 V6 with 23,000 on it so it might be a while?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Do it yourself. Save your money for gas. Now when it comes to the 30,000 mark I can't say. I have a 2005 TRD SR5 V6 with 23,000 on it so it might be a while?

i totally agree, and the 30k service should be diy also.........hardest part will be changing the plugs. rear diff is easy too!! i'll hit 30k in about a month.