1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new '08 Tacoma, Should I lift?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomanub08, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Jan 7, 2008 at 3:45 AM
    tacomanub08

tacomanub08 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Access Cab I4
    Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Front Tint
    Hey guys!

Decided to join ya here because the community seems really nice and informative! I read the thread about the I-4 vs V6 and I was convinced on getting the I-4 for the better gas mileage.. so far it only has 340 miles on it and trust me, I've loved every second (I wanted to sleep in it the first night I drove it home :p ). It rides so smooth and has a very nice pep.

My only complaint is that since it is not the Pre-Runner it is pretty low to the ground, so I was thinking about getting a lift for it. Being a complete noobie when it comes to cars I decided to ask you guys what my options are? And if it was even recommended since I have an I-4 instead of the V6? Any info is greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!! :D

2. Jan 7, 2008 at 4:15 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    Welcome toTW, and congrats on your new Tacoma.I cant answer your questions re/lift from firsthand experience with a Tacoma,but with the 4cyl a gear change will probably be needed.Other members will have better answers/experience....be patient..and yea it is a prety nice community,thanks to everyone.

3. Jan 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    With the amount of cost and assache I would leave it alone, you have a fine truck there, if it aint broke don't fix it. :thumbsup: Oh yeah welcome to TW. :D

4. Jan 7, 2008 at 5:22 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    welcome to tdub tacomanub08. post pics. we want to see

5. Jan 7, 2008 at 5:56 PM
    o.b.

o.b. Active Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi TX
    Vehicle:
    Blacksand 4X4
    MB 72 black wheels
    If you lift it then you're gonna want bigger tires. And with bigger tires you're gonna comprimise your mileage. So buying an I-4 non prerunner defeats the purpose. You should of bought an I-4 prerunner.

6. Jan 7, 2008 at 6:55 PM
    Soul

Soul Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 Black
    like me ^-^

7. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:22 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You got the 4cylinder for better gas mileage.... but now you wanna lift it?
    Are you planning on putting bigger tires on it?

Don't get me wrong - lifting is cool and makes the truck look much more impressive, but is it really needed? Are you going offroad where clearance is needed?

You've gotta make a decision - GO 4 IT - or keep it stock. You realize, once you GO 4 IT - you're gonna be spending gobs and gobs of money lifting it, bigger tires, bigger wheels, changing gears, extended brake lines, step bars/rails etc, offroad accessories, lots of additional weight and decreased gas mileage. (been there done that)

8. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:37 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Welcome,
    There is a lot of know how here, and I don't claim to be in that group, but
    you could always go with a front leveling spacer on the front and a two or three inch block for the rear. Probably around 100 bucks for both. Just wait until you need new tires before getting wheels and tires.
    Not a whole lot of lift, but should put it up there near to where a prerunner would be I would think. Again, I'm no expert so I don't know what else you would need to do if anything.

9. Jan 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM
    PNWIW

PNWIW Member

Member:
    western, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    1" lift in rear, All pro coil overs in front.
    How much lift are you thinking?

I installed rear springs and front coilovers for 1.5 inches of lift. The truck handles much better and is more flexible offroad. The stock tires are large enough for me, so no need to change.

10. Jan 8, 2008 at 12:02 AM
    tacomanub08

Member:
    San Diego, Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Access Cab I4
    Just a small lift, nothing crazy.. the car was given to me by my parents (I'm probably the youngest one on these forums, heh). They told me I could make any modifications to the car as long as it came out of my pocket. So, I have some money left over since I work, and figured I could spend it on my new ride...

So to the point, the stock tires are 16".. and getting larger tires is a bit out of my budget. I was thinking about doing what PNWIW did with the 1.5 inch lift. Is that ok? And where/what would I need to do to get that done? Thanks guys for any help..

PS Just looking to have a cool looking car, not going to be off-roading or anything. Call me a poser, but that's how they roll in SD. haha

PSS What is the best grade fuel to use for my truck? 91+?

11. Jan 8, 2008 at 4:32 AM
    Zebra

Zebra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Millington, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 2.7L 4x2 Reg. Cab 5-speed
    Volant ram air and CAI setup, Fumoto oil drain valve, Pioneer DEH-3900MP
    i have a 2008 4 banger as well the manual states 87 and up

12. Jan 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    tacomanub08

Member:
    San Diego, Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Access Cab I4
    Oh, I posted pics for those of you that wanted to see.. :)

13. Jan 8, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Welcome!

Lifts are good, but could affect mpg like others have mentioned. Larger tires may or may not affect mpg depending on their tread pattern and weight. Mine is lifted 3" with 33" tires (2" larger than stock) and the mpg (after correcting for the size difference) is the same as stock. Others (with more aggressive tread or heavier wheels/tires) have noticed a slight mpg drop.

So it could defeat the purpose of getting an I-4 for better mpg.

Also, is that a 5-lug truck? If so your lift options may be limited. Prerunners and 4wd's have the same suspension geometry so a lift will work for either one. The 5-luggers are different. I would verify that you CAN lift and how much it will cost before you decide you WANT to. Nothing like WANTING to lift it, but CAN'T because there isn't a lift for it.

Toytec Lifts is one company. I know there are others, but that's all that comes to mind ATM. I have their 3" spacer/AAL kit. It was around $200, and would probably be perfectly fine if you don't off road it. It handles off roading, but I want something better.

Oh, and if you want stuff to do on the cheap, check out this tread. A lot of it would still work for you regardless of the truck's trim line.
    Cheap/free mods - Tacoma World Forums

14. Jan 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM
    LazyRyan

LazyRyan Wtf am i suppose to type here?

Member:
    Long Beach,CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DblCab PreRunner V6 TRD Sport
    BHLM, Black badges, Trex Eyelids, AFE drop in
    new truck and already thinkin of lifts and such? ahahah same here, i felt like sleeping in my truck the first night too. imo id check to see if any of those mods void the whatever so year warranty. i plan to go crazy when my factory warranty expires.

15. Jan 9, 2008 at 4:30 AM
    danusa

danusa Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did not. I like the view.

16. Jan 9, 2008 at 5:25 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The dealer must prove any mod you did directly caused whatever you're trying to get fixed under warranty. They can't deny you warranty on, say, the tailgate falling apart because you put a lift on.

I have a 3" lift and still got my front diff replaced under warranty.

17. Jan 9, 2008 at 5:46 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I would not lift it. I think that once you lift that you just get more problems. Then you get bigger tires and you wonder why your mpg is worse. Plus when you go to sell it I think that the market is bigger for stock looking trucks..........Just my .02!

Products Discussed in

To Top