Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100's vs HD?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
kxhansen is on a distinguished road
Name: Ken
kxhansen's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100's vs HD?

I was on the Bilstein web site and thay said that the 5100s for only for "lifted" trucks and their HD (heavy duty) shocks were for stock trucks. Based on some of the threads, it appears that some people have 5100s on stock trucks.

1. Can 5100's go on stock (non-lifted) trucks?

2. What would be the difference between 5100s and HDs, in terms of ride and handling.

I have a 2009 double cab short bed manual and will occasionally haul some heavy loads and probably never go off road (intentionally <g>).

Thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #2
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
5100's arent only for lifted trucks but they do add a lift of either .85 1.75 or 2.5 inches
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
5100's arent only for lifted trucks but they can add a lift of either .85 1.75 or 2.5 inches

Fixed that for you. You can leave the front 5100s to stock height and roll without a lift. The ride will still be firmer then stock due to the difference in valving. Most would like this, but there have been some who have not. As for the rear, you will be alright without a lift while using the 5100s.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nad's Tacoma Gallery
o yes i forgot there is the stock setting too
Old 08-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
mmmm tacos!

nad's Tacoma Gallery
btw the 5100's are so much better than stock, just thought I would point that out, I went on a trail last night that was really rough and bouncy with my stock shocks, I could barely even feel the bumps that used to throw me around
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Fixed that for you. You can leave the front 5100s to stock height and roll without a lift. The ride will still be firmer then stock due to the difference in valving. Most would like this, but there have been some who have not. As for the rear, you will be alright without a lift while using the 5100s.
X2. I have 5100's all around but I also have a 3" lift to accompany them. Ride is stiffer to but thats good to me.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
BurritoJimmyFan is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BurritoJimmyFan's Tacoma Gallery
I know this is an old thread, but I don't think question 2 from the OP was ever answered and I have the same question. Can someone help me out?

What is the difference between 5100s and HDs, in terms of ride and handling?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
The HD's (blue & yellow) shocks are the ones that come w/the TRD pkg.
Side note:I test drove a sr5,the road was bumpy.Then drove the trd on the same road.There was a big difference.The HD's were way better.
Compare that to the 5100's..Even better.Hands down,The 5100's are like night and day over the stock sr5's.