1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ride Difference w/ suspension TSB

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by kxhansen, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    kxhansen

kxhansen [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Staten Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl Cab SR5 6spd Silver
    WeatherTech window deflectors WeatherTech floor liners (front) and mats (rear) Alpine 9886 Pop n Lock 5300 Fold a Cover G4 GT Covers seat covers
    I've seen the ride difference after the TSB descried as "firmer". I know it's tough to descibe, but how much firmer?

Thanks to anyone who wants to try.

2. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    In my opinion not much firmer than before TSB. I had it done to two different trucks. It does however appear to hancle a load better. These trucks ride great, somewhat care-like, one of the big reasons that I own one.

3. Aug 31, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    DontPanic

DontPanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Pre TSB: ride was wallowing and floaty (think 70's buick). towing and hauling was a white knuckle experience jouncing and crashing into the bump stops.

Post TSB: ride motions are better controlled, handling VASTLY improved. Load capacity and towing likewise improved but still favoring comfort over capacity.

Didn't realize what I was putting up with until it was fixed.

I am absolutely dumbfounded the tacoma goes to market with the 3 leaf pack in the US which is far to light for the heavier (Double Cab) variants of the truck.
    The 4 leaf pack should be standard with the tow package for safety reasons.

4. Aug 31, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    rd263

rd263 Banana Republic

Member:
    Southeast of Disorder
    Vehicle:
    2006 SW SR5 4X4 AC
    Billy 5100's front,5% tint rear,20% sides,35% full front,Kenwood head unit,DRL mod,AFE CAI,Thule rack system,TSB rear leaf upgrade,Hella headlamps,Vent visors,Led brake lamps,Led backup lamps,clutch squeak TSB,TO bearing fixed,Debaged,100 watt fog lights ,Popnlock,shorty antenna,door sill protectors.
    I agree 100% !!!!!!!

5. Aug 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    Jomama

Jomama Active Member

Member:
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dbl Cab/LB 4x4 SR5
    Dealer kinda messed up my TSB fix for a bit, due to not reading the actual TSB, the first time I had it in, they replaced the 3 leaf pack for the 4, but they swapped out the non-TRD shocks for four new non-TRD shocks... So first time out I got the new springs but just a new set of the same old oem shocks.

Was stiffer, but it still bottomed out, especially when loaded, and imo the ride was not "dampened" enough.. It was firm, but was bouncy when you went over bumps and such, it would take multiple "up-down" for it to stop bouncing.. Not how it should handle imo..

After calling Toyota and convincing the Dealership that they should actually read the TSB before doing the work and give me the shocks that it calls for, I had it back in this weekend and they installed the yellow TRD blisten shocks...

Tremendously better... Virtually no excessive rebound when hitting speed bumps and potholes... Appropriately dampened imo, and how a truck should ride (from the start)... The suspension was my single biggest complaint when I got the truck, its actually quite nice now post-TSB fix imo..

6. Aug 31, 2009 at 6:38 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    I would put it this way:
    If you knew the springs were changed, you would notice the ride a little firmer.
    If the springs were changed without you knowing, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. The only real difference if the bed handling weight alot better with the tsb.

7. Aug 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    I'm contemplating buying a set of 4 leaf for my reg cab. Thinking of hunting a junkyard for a set from say a front end accident.

Products Discussed in

To Top