Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2010 Tacoma TRD Sport OR 2010 4Runner SR5/Sport

Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Tacoma TRD Sport OR 2010 4Runner SR5/Sport

Not sure if you guys remember me, but I traded in my 2008 TRD OR back in March for a Corolla S. Tough economic times put both my job and my wifes job in jeopardy which triggered the move. In hindsight I overreacted and should have listened to the wife who said wait the whole thing out. At the same time I took less $ for my truck than I should have and bought an econobox that I shouldn't have bought. I posted a thread saying how unhappy I was with it back in July and the unhappiness continues. So this leaves me with the decision that I should just bite my losses and go back to the truck. I had planned on keeping the car for at least 2 years to make up what I loss on the truck in savings. But what the hell for.

So, right now my thought is to get either a 2010 Tacoma TRD Sport or a 2010 4Runner (not sure on the model since nothing has been released). I really don't need a truck, I just love it. I use it for trips to Home Depot, my wife is HUGE into gardening, trips to the dump and other miscellaneous things. Also, if things continue to get better I want to buy a boat for the 2011 boating season. The boat I want has a dry weight of 4500lbs + a trailer. I figure I would need at a minimum 6000lbs of towing capacity which the 09 4runner does not offer but the 2010 could. (it has to be a 6, this is also my DD so fuel economy must not completely suck). Also, I feel I need to wait to see the 4Runner when its released. The last thing I want is to buy the truck and then be salivating over the 4Runner.

So you are probably asking yourself why even consider the 4Runner. I have just always been infatuated by it. I have rented a few in the Dominican Republic and used them in a variety of ways, some good off-roading included. Also, at times I like the idea of everything being enclosed back there. The Tounneau I had in the Tacoma was far from waterproof.

The third option would be to wait till 2011 to see if the Tacoma gets updated, but that's not a given and I doubt I would be able to hold out so long.

So what do you guys think... Can't wait to hear what you have to say.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Bouncing between truck-car, car-truck is a bad thing; especially with the economony in the state it's in, and credit problems Americans now face, you'll never pay off a car at the rate your going....Maybe you should consider leasing. You're getting raked over the coals on trading the vehicle in every year and the taxes you keep paying on the new car purchase....bad move IMO. If you need a truck, just rent one. Hold onto your econo box until the economy fully recovers and Toyota releases the next Tacoma. Sounds to me you like burning a hole in your pocket. Save for a rainy day....you already made one mistake you regret, don't shoot for two.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Let me also add Toyota is cutting production by 10% which should make prices go up. I don't see dealers willing to move much on inventoy they don't have a lot of....something to think about.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
jscrub is on a distinguished road
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
i agree with the above poster. The smart move would be to wait and save. That way when 2012 rolls around you can purchase an updated tacoma.

Other option would be:
Purchase a well priced used older tacoma. This is if you "really" need the truck.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
rmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud ofrmd0311 has much to be proud of

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Bouncing between truck-car, car-truck is a bad thing; especially with the economony in the state it's in, and credit problems Americans now face, you'll never pay off a car at the rate your going....Maybe you should consider leasing. You're getting raked over the coals on trading the vehicle in every year and the taxes you keep paying on the new car purchase....bad move IMO. If you need a truck, just rent one. Hold onto your econo box until the economy fully recovers and Toyota releases the next Tacoma. Sounds to me you like burning a hole in your pocket. Save for a rainy day....you already made one mistake you regret, don't shoot for two.
I'm not talking about moving back and forth just moving back. I did not pay taxes on the Corolla and got an amazing deal on the car itself so should be able to do it with minimal loss.

By the end of next year I will NEED the truck anyway if I buy the boat.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd0311 View Post
I'm not talking about moving back and forth just moving back. I did not pay taxes on the Corolla and got an amazing deal on the car itself so should be able to do it with minimal loss.

By the end of next year I will NEED the truck anyway if I buy the boat.
Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up....If you bought the Corolla new...you paid taxes..If you titled it in NY...you paid taxes.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #7

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steviestyles View Post
Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up....If you bought the Corolla new...you paid taxes..If you titled it in NY...you paid taxes.
The trade was more, way more than the price of the Corolla... Meaning no taxes on the Corolla. If I trade in the Corolla vs Selling it, I would only pay taxes on the difference between the trade in and the whatever I get the Taco for. For example: Say I get the Taco for 27k and get 15k for the Corolla, I would only pay taxes on the 12k. That's NY law.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would look for used, or certified used from toyota. I got my tacoma certified used, 6k on the odo for $24k 100,000 mile warranty. Sport Package, tow package, 6 sp. the works. New your looking at $28-30k if the supply drops, and the demand stays the same.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
militaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to beholdmilitaco is a splendid one to behold

militaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would wait as well.......no sense making two mistakes.....wait till your wife's car dies, then give her the corolla and then go buy your truck.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by militaco View Post
I would wait as well.......no sense making two mistakes.....wait till your wife's car dies, then give her the corolla and then go buy your truck.
I would never get it... My wife drives an 08 Highlander.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with a few other posts. I say stick with the Corolla S for a few years and then purchase a new Tacoma in 2012.

None of my business but ... you must have made a shit load of cash during the poor economic times instead of falling on hard times. You had to sell you Tacoma and now your getting a brand new TRD and a new boat

Cheers.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #12

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
I agree with a few other posts. I say stick with the Corolla S for a few years and then purchase a new Tacoma in 2012.

None of my business but ... you must have made a shit load of cash during the poor economic times instead of falling on hard times. You had to sell you Tacoma and now your getting a brand new TRD and a new boat

Cheers.
Boat would not be new... Maybe an 01-02 Baja... They go for like 25-30k... Depends on how hard you look. It's not about making money either.

The Corolla was a mistake. Hindsight is 20/20 but I rushed to a foolish decision without thinking it through. My wife tried to pull be back, but unfortunately she could not.

The money problems I thought were inevitable never came to be. If anything, things got better instead of worse. I mean, we currently save about 2k a month, that would turn to 1850 a month if I get the Taco. This is with me still suffering from a 10% pay cut. When that gets undone soon in the next few months... Savings will be like 2500 a month.

Getting the Taco will not hurt me financially. But the economy is still in the sh1tter and I do understand that...

This was all prob too much info... But I figure people should get the whole picture.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
The new 2010 4Runner looks like it's going to be ass ugly. Like a Sequoia mated with a Highlander.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...r_news/gallery

EDIT: And I just saw this had been posted elsewhere.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Boat would not be new... Maybe an 01-02 Baja... They go for like 25-30k... Depends on how hard you look. It's not about making money either.

The Corolla was a mistake. Hindsight is 20/20 but I rushed to a foolish decision without thinking it through. My wife tried to pull be back, but unfortunately she could not.

The money problems I thought were inevitable never came to be. If anything, things got better instead of worse. I mean, we currently save about 2k a month, that would turn to 1850 a month if I get the Taco. This is with me still suffering from a 10% pay cut. When that gets undone soon in the next few months... Savings will be like 2500 a month.

Getting the Taco will not hurt me financially. But the economy is still in the sh1tter and I do understand that...

This was all prob too much info... But I figure people should get the whole picture.
I understand where your coming from. All the problems that were being reported on the news caused a lot of people to panic. Dr. Phil was on TV today and had some nob that was making suggestions about how to survive the tough economy (I know ... why the hell was I watching Dr. Phil???). He suggested that we all have a full years wages in CASH in the bank in case we lose our jobs. Who the heck has that much cash sitting in the bank??!! Maybe 2% of the population. If I had that much cash, I'd pay my truck off and put the rest on my mortgage.

Anyway, the economy can still make you feel uneasy when making a decision about getting a new truck or not.

Cheers.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
jscrub is on a distinguished road
jscrub's Tacoma Gallery
yeah it does look sort of ugly, but i havent seen one in real life yet so i don't want to commit to an opinion.

But seriously if you arent going to hurt i say go for it. savings at 2k thats better than most people during this economy. But if you really want to nickel and dime i'd wait.

You never know whats going to happen with the economy these days. America is trillions in debt and there is no way our gross domestic product can't support that kind of debt. Sooner or later something has gotta give.

Personally imho i'd wait just to stay of the safe side. or purchase a used tacoma if i really wanted it. or wait till you get a boat.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The trade was more, way more than the price of the Corolla... Meaning no taxes on the Corolla. If I trade in the Corolla vs Selling it, I would only pay taxes on the difference between the trade in and the whatever I get the Taco for. For example: Say I get the Taco for 27k and get 15k for the Corolla, I would only pay taxes on the 12k. That's NY law.
i always wondered what happened if you traded in a vehicle that was worth more than what you were buying...
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 AM   #18

rmd0311's Tacoma Gallery
Spoke to the wife last night... She says she knew this would happen, said I told you so and told me to do whatever I wanted.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
Wrangler Convert
sixdoubleseven will become famous soon enough

Name: Dave
sixdoubleseven's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Spoke to the wife last night... She says she knew this would happen, said I told you so and told me to do whatever I wanted.
That's never a good sentence to hear.