Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

dealer oil change.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
mullica woods'er is on a distinguished road
mullica woods'er's Tacoma Gallery
dealer oil change.

hey everybody,
i had my one and only free oil change today at the dealership.(i bought used thats what they gave me.)On my receipt it saysil syn/blend motor oil.I just wan't to know what they put in it.Is it synthetic,reg.,or some type of blend they use?If it is a blend,never heard of that.ok,thanks.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullica woods'er View Post
hey everybody,
i had my one and only free oil change today at the dealership.(i bought used thats what they gave me.)On my receipt it saysil syn/blend motor oil.I just wan't to know what they put in it.Is it synthetic,reg.,or some type of blend they use?If it is a blend,never heard of that.ok,thanks.
It depends on the dealership. They probably put 5W-30W. I know Toyota of San Diego participates in the Mobil-1 program, so that's what they used. The director of the service department said that it really doesn't matter which oil as long as its a high quality oil and the proper weight. (5W-30W for Tacoma).
Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Jrez920 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
Jrez920's Tacoma Gallery
well i work at a toyota dealership in Dartmouth, Ma and that means a synthetic blend which is synthetic and regular motor oil mixed so that way you can switch back and forth from regular oil to synthetic just so u know
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
tacobale is on a distinguished road
tacobale's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrez920 View Post
well i work at a toyota dealership in Dartmouth, Ma and that means a synthetic blend which is synthetic and regular motor oil mixed so that way you can switch back and forth from regular oil to synthetic just so u know

You work for a dealer? You are kidding about the back and forth thing, right?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about

MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrez920 View Post
You work at Dartmouth Toyota? That's where I bought my truck ... traded my Mazdaspeed 6 in for it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #7

Jrez920's Tacoma Gallery
NOOOO SHITT lol i remember that thing i worked on that mazda pretty nice how you like the tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTaco View Post
You work at Dartmouth Toyota? That's where I bought my truck ... traded my Mazdaspeed 6 in for it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #8

Jrez920's Tacoma Gallery
the reason i said back and forth is because with a full synthetic its not good to switch from full synthetic to regular oil so we use synthetic blend so if u want u can always switch back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobale View Post
You work for a dealer? You are kidding about the back and forth thing, right?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #9
Peru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud ofPeru has much to be proud of

Peru's Tacoma Gallery
synthetic motor oils are 100% compatible with non-synthetic motor oil (mineral based). Plus to add to the safety factor the API has mandated that all motor oils be compatible from both the oil standpoint and the additive package standpoint.

With oils used in motors -- PAO (IV), group III and any other group are totally compatible. The additive packages are the wild card and if not carefully designed can cause problems with other additives. This however is where the API kicks in.

I have heard many different stories that a synthetic oil when used after a mineral oil has been used causes problems. The only problem I have seen is leaking. PAOs have inherent cleaning characteristics which will clean sludge and any other deposits found in older engines that have used mineral oil. Best i can tell and from what I have heard from people in the know is that the PAOs come in and clean all the buildup and in doing so find their way through the gaskets which have probably been affected by the deposits.

Also -- on a side note thanks to castrol Group III oils can be sold as synthetic oils which are damn good oils (very clean) but they are not PAOs. So when you pick up that quart of synthetic it may be group III and not a PAO.