LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

oil filter leaking

Old 01-09-2008, 10:42 AM   #1
JJPF is on a distinguished road
JJPF's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy oil filter leaking

Hello, I'd like some opinions on a problem I have with my Tacoma. I bought it new this July changed the oil @ 3k with Amsoil OW-20 and an Amsoil Ea057 filter. Well this weekend it got down to -20 and when I started the truck I noticed oil leaking so I shut it off and climbed under, saw it was the filter so I hand tightened it and got maybe a 1/2 turn. Started it up no more leak. Started it mon morning before work and watched for a while and noticed it leaking again. Checked filter again maybe got an 1/8 of a turn, started no more leak. That night installed a oil pan heater, changed the filter, started it, watched for 10-15 min, no leak. Next morning plugged it in @ 615 am started it up @ 730, leaking again. Bought a timer for heater set it for 400 am, started @ 730 leaked about 3 drops. Should I snug it up a little more with a wrench? Anyone else have this happen? Any/All advice appreciated.

JJPF
Old 01-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #2
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the cold, but I'm curious if you put any oil on the seal before screwing it on.

If you still can't get it, throw some red loctite on it and forget about it.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure that it's the oil filter? Diagnosing the culprit of a oil leak is tricky sometimes. Oil will just slowly flow down to the lowest point on and drip from there, many people think the point that the oil is leaking from is the cause, many times it isn't. I guess what I'm saying is before you go through too much work to fix this problem. I would probably get some of that oil additive that you add to your oil and get a black light so you can find out where it's really coming from. If it is from the oil filter, then like others have suggested, did you oil the gasket before replacing the filter? If that doesn't fix it, then the next cheapest solution is to change the filter, if that doesn't work then I would look at the oil filter housing.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #4
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Did you use wrench when you first installed the filter. I'm worried that maybe it got crossthreaded. I'd hope that everyone would know if they did that.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
JJPF's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, I oiled the gasket. It didn't leak until this last weekend- the coldest day of the year so far. And yes I'm sure it's the oil filter thats leaking. Some of my buddies are thinking it could be a combination of the gasket shrinking and the light weight synthetic oil. Thinking about trying a different type of filter next. Thanks for the input.

JJPF
Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPF View Post
Yep, I oiled the gasket. It didn't leak until this last weekend- the coldest day of the year so far. And yes I'm sure it's the oil filter thats leaking. Some of my buddies are thinking it could be a combination of the gasket shrinking and the light weight synthetic oil. Thinking about trying a different type of filter next. Thanks for the input.

JJPF
I'd definately change the filter and see if that helps. The cold weather shoudln't have any affect on the oil/filter - atleast, the filter should be designed properly to prevent that.

Perhaps you got a bad batch of filters?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Only time I've had oil leak it was my own stupid fault... I didn't notice the gasket from the old filter still stuck to the engine so there were 2 rubber gaskets on after I put the new filter on. One of them bulged out and shot oil all of the engine... What a f'n mess! Needless to say I double check that now!

I only put mine on hand tight, and (guaranteed) I need a wrench to get the bastard off next oil change! Damn things seem to self tighten between changes. So I can't imagine having to re-tighten it each day.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
i gotta ask, sorry !

did you mark it when tight? why i ask is maybe it is vibrating a bit loose?
so are you just re-tightening it or threading it on more?
Damn good question, I would think marking is a pretty smart !
Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
JJPF's Tacoma Gallery
No I didn't mark it, but I think I've got it figured out now. I was looking at the box that the filter comes in and it says to go hand tight plus 3/4 turn or at least that's how I'm interpetating it. It dosent have words just pictures. Anyone else using Amsoil filters on their 4 cyl's? Usually hand tight is plenty but on the 2.7 they have a shroud that wraps 1/2 way around the filter making it hard to get a good grip on it. So I guess I'll snug it up with a wrench. Thanks for the input

JJPF
Old 01-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Good to you !
Old 01-09-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJPF View Post
I was looking at the box that the filter comes in and it says to go hand tight plus 3/4 turn
That's always been the *norm* for any oil filter.....atleast, that's what I've always known. But that depends on where/when you consider it *tight* and the muscles you have in your arms.

Being a woman, I get it hand tight and then use both hands and go around about one full turn just to make sure.