Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rims: Positive Offset v. Neg. Offset

Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

Name: Scott
SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
Rims: Positive Offset v. Neg. Offset

Looking to get 17X9 4.5 in. backspacing XD Series Addict with 285/70/R17 BFG KM2's.

Imsikotic is running these and said his offset is a -12 and some trimming, got off the phone with a guy at a store and he said he thought i should be running a positive offset with my 3" lift, that the neg. offset would induce rubbing. Purchasing soon and looking for an answer.

Also i have a long bed DC, imsikotic has DC shortbed, i HIGHLY doubt any dimensions regarding the wheel wells would be any different.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
Padilla1880's Tacoma Gallery
I would say your good Scott, since you're getting the same setup as Randy and he doesn't have issues. I have 16x8's with a 0 offset and i rubbed. With most (i say most because there are some out there who have actually fit 285's without a lift and no rub) 285/33' tire trimming will be involved.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
"Let's Ride!"
Padilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant futurePadilla1880 has a brilliant future

Oh yea make sure you get a hub centric wheel instead of a lug centric wheel.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
SLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the roughSLOH is a jewel in the rough

SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
Oh yea make sure you get a hub centric wheel instead of a lug centric wheel.
are you talking about a spacer? i'm not gonna run a spacer and just have a little trimming done, hopefully my truck will be fixed and and i'll have the new tires on by ocotillo, i'm trying to figure out how to get pictures in a thread without doing the attachments...shoot me in the head
Old 09-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
"Let's Ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOH View Post
are you talking about a spacer? i'm not gonna run a spacer and just have a little trimming done, hopefully my truck will be fixed and and i'll have the new tires on by ocotillo, i'm trying to figure out how to get pictures in a thread without doing the attachments...shoot me in the head
No. There are two different wheel types hub and lug. Our trucks are hub centric. So make sure you get wheels that are hub centric.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #7

SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
alright well Randy is already running them and i talked to him about them so i'm assuming they are a safe purchase cause honestly i don't know if they are hub or lug centric, do you have any idea how to post pictures from your computer into a thread
Old 09-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Be Good or Be Good At It
cjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to beholdcjimenRR is a splendid one to behold

cjimenRR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cjimenRR
I'm running the same size wheels/tire size and I went with a -6mm offset. Some trimming had to be done to end the rubbing issue but other than that it should be fine. look in my pictures to see some of the clearances
Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 18x9's with a -12 offset. Tires are 285/65-18"s with some minor trimming involved.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #11
FoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud ofFoxRacR17 has much to be proud of
Name: Kevin
FoxRacR17's Tacoma Gallery
i'm running 17x9 4.5" BS -12mm offset and I rub on the cab mount when i'm backing up and turning pretty much to full lock. I either have to lift it more or trim the cab mount
Old 09-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilla1880 View Post
No. There are two different wheel types hub and lug. Our trucks are hub centric. So make sure you get wheels that are hub centric.
I have lug-centric on mine with no problems. The hub on the Tacoma is bigger than most hub-centric wheels so many won't fit. The hub-centric version of my wheels won't fit.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #14
"Let's Ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I have lug-centric on mine with no problems. The hub on the Tacoma is bigger than most hub-centric wheels so many won't fit. The hub-centric version of my wheels won't fit.
Mine are lug centric also. When i first had them installed, no probs. After my first rotation steering wheel shudders at 45-65. Took it back twice for rebalance. After the second re-balance and more weights, shudders weren't as noticeable so i let it be.

I was due for a major 136k+ so i took my truck into the stealership. Rotating the tires was included in the service. Noticed crazy shudders at freeway speed as well as city driving. Took it to Discount where i got my tires and had my wheels Road Force Balanced. Shudders gone!

I guess it would all depend on the wheel. You have lug centric wheels and no issues i have lug centric wheels and had issues. My next rotation is coming up and if after the rotation i find shudders, then im ditching these wheels for a hub centric wheel. But like you said, "The hub on the Tacoma is bigger than most hub-centric wheels so many won't fit. The hub-centric version of my wheels won't fit," so again it would depend on the wheel you get.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #15
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOH View Post
so everyone is pretty much running negative offset, so why the fuck did the guy tell me to run positive? i have stock UCA btw
I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about. Positive offset moves the wheel closer to the truck (suspension components). The backspacing number is more relevant than the offset any way. The offset is a result of the basckspacing.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
Old 09-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #16

SLOH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
I don't think the guy knows what he is talking about. Positive offset moves the wheel closer to the truck (suspension components). The backspacing number is more relevant than the offset any way. The offset is a result of the basckspacing.

https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
yeah thats what i thought so thats why it just threw me off when the guy said that over the phone so i started the thread, and just a reminder, i'm not running any spacers, looks like from some of the pictures that some people that have responded have spacers
Old 09-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #18
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
I have the -12mm offset, the 17x9 with 4.5" BS and had major rubbing with another brand of wheels. I HAD to run a small spacer which caused really bad rubbing but it was nothing that a little persistence and some ingenuity wouldn't solve.

The argument about lug centric wheels vs. hub centric is not really all that important. If you run lug centric wheels (which is what almost ALL aftermarket wheels are) you just need to use a lug nut that is the acorn style that centers the wheel up on the lugs. That and a road force balance and you'll be set. There are even extended thread lug nuts made by Gorilla which I'm running that are the nuts! Check this link (bottom right corner) http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug.nuts.page_08