1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

eBay fog light kits for '08-'09-'10 Tacomas....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 10taco, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dec 29, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    Plug and play really, if you have basic knowledge of how circuits work you should be fine.

The button it comes with is actually a pretty nice oem looking button.

As for an update on the Amazon kit I got I couldn't be happier with it, the fogs help alot in the snow aswell.

Another thing do the anytime fog light mod with a wire in the cab fuse box while you are installing this kit.

2. Jan 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Nice..I was a little leery of the cheaper kits but it seems like from what I'm seeing here it's not an issue.

3. Jan 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    They're okay.
    Get some GE Silicone-II and seal the housings... about 50/50 whether or not they'll leak.

One issue is the switch and harness.
    There's one for sale in the marketplace now that has the same hardware as these eBay kits. That switch will not fit the cutouts on the left side of the dash. They will fit the center console cutouts in the '12 and '13... but the harness is too short.

I just pitched my switch and harness and went with the Toyota parts.
    For for $70 for the whole set, it's a great deal even if you have to spend another $45-$70 for the switch and relay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jan 12, 2013 at 5:54 AM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled
    My switch fit fine

5. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That's a nice switch, OEM style.

The eBay kits have a slightly shorter, more squared-off switch.
    It'll fit the center console openings under the HVAC controls, but it looks like shit on the left of the wheel and is not secure.

Crappy cell pic...

ebayfogswitch.jpg

6. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled
    My switch came in a kit off of Amazon which has the same product photo as the eBay ones I saw

7. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    tacoma4

tacoma4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Finally finished the install on my reg cab base model. Took me a little longer than expected. Worked on it off and on a few hours over a couple days. Had them in and working in about 4 hours, but then took them out to put on the wire loom, then rerouted again. Took maybe 7 hours total to get them completely finished to my liking. Here are some pictures of how I did it. I got mine of the ebay seller "overstockaccessories" but it looks like a few different people sell the same kit for 90-100 dollars. Actual manufacturer is Kramer America.

Passenger fog:
    [​IMG]

Driver side fog:
    [​IMG]

Passenger routing (zip tied to headlight wires):
    [​IMG]

I routed under the radiator support piece? I think that's what it's called. There are 4 holes that are not used for the plastic clips for the cover piece that I zip tied to underneath.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see how I tied to the radiator support beam. The plastic cover sits flush on top, doesn't affect the fit.
    [​IMG]

Here's the other side of the radiator support where the wires come out and tie into the driver side fog. Right in front of the battery. This pic is a little confusing. Ignore that out of focus wire loom coming down the left side with what looks like the black and red wires coming out, it is not actually a part of the fogs. The lower right shows two newer looking looms, the far right goes to the driver side fog and the other one is the main line. Just out of the pic it splits into each side fog light. At that junction the loom going right goes to the cabin, the one left to the relay, and the black wire is ground and the red wire is the inline fuse that goes to the battery connection.
    [​IMG]

This is where I mounted the relay and ground wire. It is on the passenger side of the battery, just below it. I had to use a washer on the bolt to mount the ground wire. The order was bolt, original washer, relay, new washer, ground wire, existing support piece, frame.
    [​IMG]

Battery connection. I'd rather come in from the rear, but the wire was too short. I may lengthen it later on and put a larger battery connection piece (idk what it's called) for connecting to the bigger bolt.
    [​IMG]

Wire then went around the front of the battery and then along the driver side wall. I used the pre-existing wire clips on that side to hold the wire. Cut the tip off the rubber piece below the other wires and routed all the slack through. I kept all the excess wire in the cab.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see where the wire comes through the firewall. I bundled up all the slack and zip tied it together then secured it to the hood cable behind the kickpanel just to keep it from moving.
    [​IMG]

Add a fuse into the TAIL 10A like suggested in this thread. Works perfect. I can turn the fogs on if the lights are turned to parking, low, or high beam.
    [​IMG]

I don't recommend prying the switch blank out. You can see I put a scuff on my dash. Just take the lower dash out and push it from behind, it's super easy. For reference, pop up the plastic runner along the seat (I think it says Tacoma on it), then pull off the dead pedal (grab at top and pull forward). Then there is a plastic nut under it, twist if off by hand. Then the side kick panel pulls off, mostly forward and a little out. Pop off the piece around the e-brake lever, and the small piece below it. Remove the two bolts on each side then the whole lower dash will pop off clips at the top. Go slow and ease it off from one side or the other, it comes off pretty easy. Don't forget to disconnect any electrical connections for the three switches. I left the TPMS reset and hood cable connected, they don't need to be removed. You can then reach up and push the blank out, I think squeeze the two sides for clips too.
    [​IMG]

Finally a pic of the switches lit up. It is green and a little dimmer than the OEM ones. Doesn't look bad though. The fog logo is always lit up, a little brighter when on. The light above the logo only glows when fogs are turned on. Only complaint is the switch has a smaller radius chamfer on the corners. It rubs the dash a little and can get stuck in the down position. I just tap it and it pops back up. Seems to be getting a little better with time so it may just wear in.
    [​IMG]

So that's how I did it. Overall it's not difficult, just took some time to get it the way I wanted. Wire loom was a pain to get on the wires. I bought 3/8" size and used maybe 15' worth. I found if you bend it back on itself the slit will open and you can kind of "roll" it onto the wire. Still took some time though and cut up my fingers pretty good. This thread was really helpful in setting it up, I'm really happy with the way it turned out, makes the front of the truck look way better.

8. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    That is a picture of a switch from the eBay set that I bought.

9. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Nice looking installation.
    Clean job, though I prefer to make my battery connections inside the fuse box on the stud at the end where the battery cable connects.
    It keeps the battery clean for both appearance and changing the battery. Having to muscle a 40lb box and try to keep an extra wire out of the way is frustrating.

10. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    tacoma4

tacoma4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree. I'm planning on doing that once I can get the parts.

11. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Ya, my HID supply is connected to the stud, but it's a little short and pulled pretty tight... plus the fuse itself is under the fuse box.

I need to extend it another foot to get the fuse holder in the clear.

12. Jan 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled

How much did that one run you? I think I paid 90 bucks for my whole kit.

13. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I think it was around $70 for the whole thing, but since the switch was a POS and the harness too short...

14. Feb 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    c E Neal

c E Neal Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gene
    S D Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2008 toyota tocoma
    :D I have been trying to contact EPA4WD how has been posting on this forum. I would like to buy the same Fog light Kit that he is talking about in his post on EBay . but I can not find that same item. there is not a direct link to that item in eBay here in this forum .
    Also, I have a Switch from Toyota for the Fog lights . There is 4 terminal or post numbered 1,2,3,4,witch wires in this kit are hocked to the post numbered above? Thanks in advance,Your Friend, Gene Neal

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:25 AM
    c E Neal

c E Neal Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gene
    S D Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2008 toyota tocoma
    epa4wd, pleas post a direct link to the fog light kit you are talking about. As I can not find the one with the wiring loom and relay and lamps. All I can find on eBay is the lamps that are ( W/ black lines) no bulbs and no wiring loom , this was for $51.00. Also I have a Toyota switch that i would like to use .It has 4 post on it and they are numbered 1,2,3,4, witch wires in the harness that comes with the kit hock to the numbered post ,above. I would to have the clear lines ,and the brighter the better. As i want to use them for driving lights down low on the country roads. You said that the light kit was about $100.00 that fine if You just till me where to buy it.
    -----------------------Thanking you in advance, Your Friend. Gene Neal

16. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
  17. Feb 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The Toyota switch is not directly pin-compatible with the harness in the eBay kit.

The eBay kit uses a switch with an indicator light.
    The Toyota switch lacks an indicator light, but rather has a light that is connected to the dash illumination and comes on with the dash lights.

The Toyota switch looks and operates great. I would suggest wiring your own harness around a standard off-the-shelf fog light relay and pitching the eBay harness.

On the Toyota switch, the two pins in the middle of the switch are the contacts that will apply power to your relay. The two off to the side are the night illumination lamp.

18. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    randytho

randytho Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4cyl 4x4
    I just bought the Amazon kit made by kramer acc. I would like them to behave like the oem lights. (As in they go out when the high beams come on.) I am looking at the service manual diagrams and it looks like if the fog relay switch in the kit is powered from the RH LO HEAD 10A fuse location then it would have this behavior. (Instead of the tail fuse. It looks like this would simply mimic the factory wiring. I have linked the manual pages below. Any comments to support or disagree?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Feb 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    c E Neal

c E Neal Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gene
    S D Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2008 toyota tocoma
    Yes ! you are wright , if you use the instruction that come with the kit. The instruction does say to use the Parking Light fuse witch is under the dash on the left side inside the cab. using this wire routing the Fog light well function with both low beam and hi beam head lights,and with the parking lights, Also I might add that if the PARKING LIGHTS and the Fog lights are both on,and you use the high beam blinker, the Fog light go off while the Blinker Is held in the on position. How ever the switch illumination and the Fog light on light on the switch does work properly.

One other thing that could be changed in this wire routing, is the red wire that go's that Battery + with the 20 amp. fuse.

Instead of using the in-line 20 amp fuse and wire : in the Fuse box in the engine compartment, you will see where the Fog light fuse is supposed to be (It is # 2 fuse) there is no fuse there but the one terminal is there and it is 12volt Battery .So get another clip and put the red wire there and add the 20 amp fuse ( it the same thing , but looks more like factory installed

if you were to sue the R/H head light fuse ( witch is in the engine compartment fuse box)you would have to add about 5 or 6 feet of wire , and re-rout it back to the engine compartment fuse box.
    But then I'm not sure that the switch illumination and on light would work

I think that you might have to hunt down the wire that controls the head light low beam from the head light switch ( should be in one of the cannon plugs next to the fuse panel inside the cab.

Other then the above the kit works great, I had more wire length then needed.

I have taken some pic of the cables and a wire diagram I made for the Toyota switch if used. About the switch that comes with the kit , just send the corners and the switch works with out sticking when depressed.

I don't know how to insert the pic's from my pictures where do I store them and how to attach them?

20. Feb 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    randytho

randytho Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4cyl 4x4
    You can use photobucket to upload pictures and then use the img tag link they provide on the right. Then paste it in the forum message.

Did I understand correctly that if you pull the hi beam and hold instead of clicking the switch then the fogs and parking lights go out? But if switch the HI beams on then the fogs and parking lights stay on?

Products Discussed in

To Top