Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

eBay fog light kits for '08-'09-'10 Tacomas....

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
10taco is on a distinguished road
Army: C Co 1/75 Ranger '87-'89
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Question eBay fog light kits for '08-'09-'10 Tacomas....

I plan on installing a set of 'direct replacement' fog lights in my '10 Taco reg cab 4WD 4CYL from one of the many sellers on eBay. The kits generally cost around $100 and include lamps, wiring harness and switch. I also plan to obtain a FACTORY Toyota fog light switch to install in the cab. My question is will the supplied aftermarket harness (which appears to be pretty much complete with plugs everywhere) plug into the Toyota switch? If not, will it work at all with the switch? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
No it does not plug to the OEM switch, but yes it can be used to work with OEM switch, I did it that way.

I'll give you some pics shortly.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery

OEM swith in stock location

wiring trough firewall

wires to the passenger side foglight

wires for drivers side fog light

behind driver's side headlight

between battery and driver's side fender

Fuse box connection

Battery connection

Old 09-06-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Now THATS what I call a REPLY!

EPA, Thanks a million for the super-quick and complete reply to my question. Nice work, BTW. Who did you get your light kit from? Any difficulty hooking the harness to the factory switch? Are the fog lights 'on anytime' or tied into the headlights? Could you also explain how you (seemingly) hooked into the factory fuse box? Thanks again! MR
Old 09-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I don't remember his ebay user name I'll try and look it up on my paypal history, hooking up the wires to the OEM switch was easy only 4 pins: (1 for ground, 1 for button illumination, 1 that decides when fog lights can be turned on, 1 that goes to the relay when the button is pressed), there is a diagram for the foglight switch around, I'll try to find it. BTW if you can get your hands on the OEM plug for the switch its better, there is a website that sells the switch along with the plug. I did not use the plug tough, I used small four pin connectors shielded with heatshirnk.

I connected the switch so I can only turn the fog lights on whenever the dash lights are on which means that I have one of the three options in the headlight switch on. That way if I forget to turn the foglights off they will turn off anyway when I turn off the headlight switch.

EDIT: I used the wiring and relay included in the kit, I did not hook up anything to the relay box behind the battery. I did hook up one wire to the fusebox inside the truck I used this
"add a fuse":

I connected this to the fuse for the truck's dash illumination. The fuse that you see in the pics I posted before is the fuse for the 12V line that is connected to the battery.

EDIT: ebay user: makotoautotrends

EDIT: I think this is the switch with the plug http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-FJ-FOGSW.aspx?MakeID=1

EDIT: Part Number for plug if you already have the switch: 90980-11090,
Part Number for wires with pins that go in the plug: 82998-12340 4 required

EDIT: I attached the diagram I connected pin 1 and 3 to the same wire.
Attached Thumbnails
eBay fog light kits for '08-'09-'10 Tacomas....-switch.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #6
crazimofo is on a distinguished road
crazimofo's Tacoma Gallery
thank you epa4wd, your work is much appreciated.
for the switch and connector plug although listed on trd site as a fjcruiser? is it still the one for a tacoma?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes same part number, just checked trough toyodiy.com
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
this should be a sticky. so many people ask this same question and with the reply on this one is very detailed!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.makotoautotrends.com/prod...0bdfbc029d47ec

Is this the same kit?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
yup thats the one, when you remove the covers for the fog lights in the bumper do it carefully so that you dont scratch the bumper regardless if its a painted or unpainted bumper. Mine is unpainted and it scratches very easily.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #11
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Nuttin' like a quality post....

EPA, I have spent some time lately following your posted links, and their posted links, etc., and have seen quite a few fog light 'write-ups' posted by various subscribers to several forums. I have to say I have not seen one yet that compares favorably to yours; you are to be !COMMENDED! for the thoroughness and quality of your excellent fog light tutorial! I have ordered my lights (same as yours) and will be ordering the switch soon! THANKS!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:10 PM   #12
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!! I really took my time with the wiring, I tried to make it as hidden as possible, I suggest you lay out everything how you want it before starting to put everything in the truck and figure out what wire does what. I also used some wire clip mounts under the hood for routing the wires, you can see them in the pics that show the wires going down each side of the radiator.

If you have any doubts with which wire goes were, post a pic of the wiring and I'll try to remember what I did with each one. You may also need to extend some of the wires. I know that I had to extend at least one of them.

Heck, I can even take more pics this weekend to show were I placed everything.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
gcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to beholdgcwaterski is a splendid one to behold

gcwaterski's Tacoma Gallery
sticky worthy, nice reply
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #17
Plain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlain Jane Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Plain Jane Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the ebay kit in yellow. Just a little moddin' to the harness to make it work with a Toyota switch. I didn't use the actual OEM switch...too spendy. I bought the $10 Toyota rocker switch from my local dealer. The base model has an empty slot in the fuse box that is hot when the parking lamps are on. I used an Add-A-Fuse link to connect this slot to the relay through the switch. So my fogs work with the parking lamps, low beams and hi beams. They turn off with the headlamp switch or I can defeat them all together with the rocker switch.

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone is looking or the oem switch, (Not Mine)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by epa4wd View Post
yup thats the one, when you remove the covers for the fog lights in the bumper do it carefully so that you dont scratch the bumper regardless if its a painted or unpainted bumper. Mine is unpainted and it scratches very easily.
I've never wired in fog lights. Does the kit come with instructions?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #20
avidoffroad.com
McJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shedMcJosh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
McJosh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
I've never wired in fog lights. Does the kit come with instructions?
Looks confusing. :/ I'm planning on getting some soon.

Products Discussed in this Thread