1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bluetooth steering wheel controls.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rb11701, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Sep 6, 2009 at 5:23 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    I have sen other members install the bluetooth OEM module using a empty switch. Has anybody installed the steering wheel controls?

Or does somebody know the part number? I am having a tough time locating it.

Thanks!

2. Sep 7, 2009 at 7:04 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Well, I found the part number for the right hand controls. It seems that the control, a ribbon to connect the left and right controls and a mic. What I am curious about is how everything is tied together? If I get the mic, the control and the ribbon how does this get tied into everything?

Also I am thinking that if I get the blue logic with the button, I could somehow attach the sterring wheel controls. The blue logic kit has the mic, etc. Everything I would need.

Ribbon 84204-58010
    Control 84244-35030-B0
    Mic 86730-35020

I just need to figure out how to tie it all together.

3. Sep 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I've been thinking of doing something similar when I replace my HU. I ran across a write-up on ToyotaNation where someone had done it to a 4Runner. I thought the process would be similar once I got around to it. Of course, I cannot find the link anymore. I'll post it when I find it.

Thanks for part numbers. Great find. I wonder how the wiring will work, as well as an interface to an aftermarket HU. This would really be a great mod.

Please post your updates.

4. Sep 7, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
  5. Sep 7, 2009 at 8:52 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Well, it "looks" like the RH controls use a ribbon to connect over to the LH controls. Off the LH controls, there is a plug. Looking at the wire diagrams, it just list 'Steering Wheel Switch' as an input. So that leads me to think that all the info gets sent to the HU via that plug. That must go to the back of the HU.

But here is the kicker. The BT on the wheel only came with JBL equipped DC's. The JBL has a seperate amp. Where the amp is, one only knows. The HU has to have the BT built into it. So if the HU part# on a JBL system is different than ours, we might be SOL. If it isn't, than in theory we could add the switch, add the mic and all should be good.

What we need is somebody that has a JBL HU to pull it out and check the model #.

And a confirmation of the that blue plug in the headliner would be great. I might have to see how that comes out and check for that plug. Here is a funny thing, there is a BT kit that gets installed in the sunglass tray. It works with the factory system. Maybe the plug is up there.

Here is a thought, the Blu Logic kit comes with a switch to use the BT. There must be a harness to attach to the factory HU. IF there is only one plug going to the HU from the steering wheel, this has to get tied into the Blue Logic. Maybe the wheel controls will work like the switch. Hmm... I know somebody posted a Blu Logic install.

This has been tough to research as alot of those pics I cannot see for some reason and there has been no action in a long time.

The steering pad has to come off to see what's behind it. I am a bit leary with the airbag. Looks pretty straight forward. Anybody ever take that off?

tbird95 likes this.
  6. Sep 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    So all the BT info gets sent from RH to LH and then down the steering column through the existing harness, even if you don't have the JBL option? That would be great not having to drop new wires down the steering column.

I'm fairly certain the JBL HU are different than the other stock units. May look similar up front, but different internally. Think they have sat capability too.

Unless your going for the stock look, I'd recommend punting and going for aftermarket. That's what I've decided to do. I really hope that a adapter like SWI-JACK is available that can also handle the BT. Don't think the basic SWI-JACK can.

Amen.

7. Sep 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Sporry for posting inside a quote. Was difficult to seperate it. Forum noob lol.

8. Sep 9, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    i'm thinking about doing this mod...looks cool...

9. Sep 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    So, an update. The mic is part of the rear view mirror. And is a different part #.

Outlook_3135a9c35851e588913f4c7be3ff0bcd76972415.jpg

It looks like #87180-04080 is the mirror with the bluetooth.

#87180-04030 is the normal mirror with backup cam.

IT also looks to be a cover that goes on it. The descriptions change yet the part number stays the same. IT would seem that the mic is part of the inside of the mirror and the cover goes over. The cover must be universal wher as the guts are different.

What does this mean? I dunno. But at a little over $500 I doubt I will be getting a new mirror lol. However, the wire must be there seeing the Taco is plug and play. So perhaps the aftermarket mic can be hooked into that harness. I am still leaning towards the BT being in the radio.

Where would I get that kind of wire information for a 2009? Anybody know?

10. Sep 9, 2009 at 6:45 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Good research. My money's on the JBL HU having the BT circuits only. If so, one would need to shell out fairly decent $$$ for getting both the HU and mic mirror.

11. Sep 9, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Yeah between the new rear view mirror costs and the possible new headunit costs my quest for a complete OEM bluetooth seemed to have ended. I am left with the BluLogic or a Parrot BT kit. Both solid kits from what I have read. I still am going to look for a way to incorporate the wheel controls with either kit. On paper, it would be a matter of tapping into the BT control pad's wires and send that info over to the BT unit. Can't imagine that there is much difference in the signals. Action button and Vol Up/Down. Now actually doing that is the problem.

Of course, a new HU would make things easy. However I am not sure if one can retain BT wheel controls even with the adapter.

Ah well, I really thought I had something.

12. Sep 10, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    I am hoping the swi-ps will enable the steering wheel bluetooth controls to work with a pioneer Z110BT. Check out page 15 of the attached user manual. I expect it will work, and will let you guys know after the next weekend or two when I get to it.

Attached Files:

13. Sep 10, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    If one could locate an '09 or '10 with the the jbl in a salvage yard, then you could save the $$$$ and you'd have it. The biggest obstacle to me is the wiring at the steering wheel which you found is already there.

14. Sep 10, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    pokeng

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Oustanding. If it works, I'll be buying a Pioneer HU.

15. Sep 11, 2009 at 7:19 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    I am thinking of the salvage yard. Getting a 09 or 10 Taco could be hard. However, a 4runner had Bluetooth in it before the Taco. There are a few around here that I am going to look into.

On another note, I have been in touch with Eclipse. I have been given some info onthe pin assignments on the Toyota 20pin adapter. I am waiting on clarification,however it seems that pin 6 on the Toyota is GND. Pin 7 is for and pin 8 seem to be the wires for the steering wheel contols output. Here is the email:

Rob,
    Basiclly the 20 pin connector that is coming from the Toyota you want to find pin 6 you want to splice into it and get a jumper wire and go to Radio ground for reference, Then you want pin 7 and you want to splice into it and you want to get a jumper and connect it to Brown/Black= Volume up & Down and Track up & Down pin 8 Brown= Mode, Answer & Hang up (But will not do Voice activation button) if you have any question please call us at 800-233-2216 8:30a.m. to 5:00p.m. Pacific time.

So it would seem that Pin 8 is the telephone wires. Now, if this IS true perhaps something could be rigged to control a Parrot system if you didn't want to install a new stereo.

I am on the fence. If this is true with Eclipse, perhaps it is true on other radios. the Ecipse 5030 is around $300 and then the wire harness. The parrot system with the wireless remote and lcd (9100 sereis) w/ harness is pretty close. Maybe within $50. The above info on pin numbers gets me thinking that I could jump the Taco steering wheel controls over to a wired remote version of the Parrot.

I tell ya persistance always pays off.

Let you guys know what I find.

16. Sep 11, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Confirmed by Eclipse that Pin6 is ground, pin7 is steering wheel audio and pin8 is steering wheel telephone. All features will be accesible via steering wheel BT controls except for say "Dail Joe Smith". I am not in the process to see if there is a pin for a mic. If there is, then I am getting the control pad, ribbon and a mic. and try to see if BT is REALLY in the 6disc changers or not. If not, I might buy a cheap used parrot system and splice the wired remote to pin8 and see what happens!

17. Sep 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    One more update for you guys. Have a confirmed exploded view and confirmed TACOMA part numbers. I have been going off the 4runner page up until recently.

[FONT=r_ansi][FONT=r_ansi]4244-35030-B0 SWITCH, S 1 68.58 <-- Single Bluetooth pad[/FONT]
    [FONT=r_ansi]84250-04010-B0 SWITCH AS 1 142.73 <-- Complete set left and right plus ribbon[/FONT]

[FONT=r_ansi]The ribbon cannot be purchased spererately. The 4-runner cable looks the same however and that part number is: 84204-58010 $30.38. The 4runner steering wheel looks alot like the Taco one. Anybody have any thoughts on if it would work?
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=r_ansi]As always, pics
    Outlook-1_eaa486493ca4fb7ea8bf8e43d7cf8b726d8c5b62.jpg

So, it is confirmed that adding the Tacoma BT controls can be done and integrated into an Eclipse stereo w/o any adapters. I am not sure for other brands. A quick email to thier tech support should be all that is needed. I am now in the process of seeing if the Blu Logic's switch can be added to the wheel controls. Again on paper it seems logical. Still should be only 1 wire. As always, I will update.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

97duc748 likes this.
  18. Sep 12, 2009 at 11:12 AM
    AFTaco

AFTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-road
    Thanks for the Hard work! Please keep us informed! Repped

19. Sep 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    rb11701

rb11701 [OP] Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! What a time it has been getting this info. Like pulling teeth. Luckily I found some good people that helped me out.

Update: The new version of the PAC steering wheel adapter will allow Kenwoods with built in BT to be controlled via steering wheel. Not quite as easy as the Eclipse, but still can be done for people who want Kenwwod.

I think I have decided to go the head unit route. Same amount of cash as a Parrot system and upgraded sound as well. Looking at either the Kenwood KDC-X993 or the Eclipse CD5030. Leaning towards the 5030 only out of a money standpoint as I still have to purchase the control pad. Decks run about the same roughly and withthe Kenwood, I would need the PAC adapter. But I think the Kenwood is a better deck. Tough choice.

20. Sep 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM
    PSUnick

PSUnick Lets Go State!

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2007 AC 4x4 Sport
    I successfully installed the bluetooth controls with the swi-ps adapter and a pioneer z110bt. Here is a quick walk through of the switch installation:

Stock steering wheel
    IMG_0256_web_312853e1d658186a11033abd0c3a13795bbc2819.jpg

Disconnect the battery negative terminal. Remove two torx screws, one from each side of the steering wheel.
    IMG_0257_web_b2c07b427633cf541d7a15d01c33c00c004a1a5b.jpg

Lift the airbag out of the way; no need to disconnect.
    IMG_0258_web_b5c464622c85ad74fa40c6383c47c3e40d48bcb3.jpg

Wire the new bluetooth controls to the existing stereo controls. Note the built in strain relief, its on each set of controls.
    IMG_0260_web_76b58e8e94042bebd43894dfee290c9e6225ffb8.jpg

All hooked up.
    IMG_0263_web_10dabdea065e15de772dcd4da0a840496239cb22.jpg

Reinstall the airbag. Reconnect the battery.
    IMG_0265_web_bb58ccb1ea0e4f7eb88822fa45f513a0e30a29a7.jpg

The bluetooth contols work 100% with my hardware. The first negative that I have noticed is the LED for the bluetooth controls is slightly a different color than the stereo controls, and slightly more dim. I tried to capture this but it was difficult.

Stereo controls lit up
    IMG_0312_web_8e53ecac10e5239cdcaf8401c7fc33b22da7c381.jpg

Bluetooth controls lit up
    IMG_0313_web_00273c2b911a3a3c119a97fca166514d925596d3.jpg

The second negative is that the bottom switch on the bluetooth controls appears to be a button to activate the 'voice command' of the headunit. As of right now pioneer doesn't support this, so I have it bring up the phone menu on the headunit. This isn't an issue with the bluetooth controls, or the swi-ps, but from what i have read is with Pioneer and what commands it can accept via its steering wheel interface.

Edit: The new pac swi-ps, version 1.68, claims has added the voice recognition function. i don't think anyone has been able to obtain the new version and test this, but it appears that the lack of voice control was infact the fault of the steering wheel control adapter and not the limitations in the Pioneer head unit. I will be purchasing the new steering wheel control adapter when I find one available.

Pioneer, Sony, Advent, Dual, Jensen, Visteon
    Programming order for SWI-PS

Volume Up..............................1
    Volume Down...........................2
    Mute......................................3
    Track Up/ Seek Up...................4
    Track Down/ Seek Down............5
    Source...................................6
    Preset Up/ Disc Up....................7
    Preset Down/ Disc Down............8
    Band......................................9

New functions added for Pioneer