Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plastic bedliner 'slots'

Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #1
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
Plastic bedliner 'slots'

My 2007 longbed Prerunner has 4 'slots' in the ridge that runs the length of the bed walls (see attached pics, the slot is above the inverter). I was thinking of making up 2 planks (either wood or aluminum) that would sit in these slots to go across the width of the bed for carrying 8' x 4' sheets of drywall/lumber etc. The width between the wheelarches is less than 4' so an 8' x 4' wouldn't sit on the bed floor properly.

I wanted to make the top surface of the planks the same height as the ridge and wheelarches for maximum support of the material; if I use a standard 2" x 6" it will be too high unless is sand it down a bit.

Has anyone done this? If so, what material did you use? And how much load did you put on there?
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic bedliner 'slots'-picture-442.jpe  
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Most people just use standard lumber because anything you put in that is 4 feet wide won't rest on the ledge on the side of the bed anyway.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for your reply. I thought that it might be good to use the wheelarches as support as well.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Question

I dont know the lenght of that particular area but would a 1x6 or 1x8 #2 pine work?
Old 01-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
I dont know the lenght of that particular area but would a 1x6 or 1x8 #2 pine work?
I can't say that I have tried those exact boards but when I visitted my local Home Depot I couldn't find anything of standard thickness that would go straight in without modification.

I was also planning to an extra support for the 4' x 8' sheet on the lowered tailgate but reading the thread about how weak the tailgates are makes me a bit nervous about doing that.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #6
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersharp View Post
I can't say that I have tried those exact boards but when I visitted my local Home Depot I couldn't find anything of standard thickness that would go straight in without modification.

I was also planning to an extra support for the 4' x 8' sheet on the lowered tailgate but reading the thread about how weak the tailgates are makes me a bit nervous about doing that.
If your tailgate brace covers the whole tailgate to spread the weight evenly you should be fine. The tailgate can support a lot if weight IF it's evenly distributed. The problem comes when a lot of weight is only support by a small area like the center, or 2 wheels of an ATV on the edge.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Or, if you have a hitch, you could get a brace that slides into the hitch so none of the wood, drywall, etc sits on the tailgate.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Smile

Very nice!...If I could get away with it I would drive around with that on all the time! (damn So Cal drivers!)...Where did you find that?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 PM   #10

Angry Sad

I 4got to add...........non/never have been/never will be....insured driving californians!
Old 01-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #11
dbbd1 is on a distinguished road

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
A 2X8 works with just a little shaving on one edge. Here is what I did with my slots. (I do not carry most of my offroad gear with me all of the time, just the "important" stuff and the rest, which you see here, when I am 'wheeling).
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic bedliner 'slots'-pict0044-large-.jpg   Plastic bedliner 'slots'-pict0046-large-.jpg   Plastic bedliner 'slots'-pict0047-large-.jpg  
Old 01-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Devout Atheist

^ looks good! So what's in the black box?

You know you can't post the pic of an ambiguous black box and not list it's contents!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #13

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post

You know you can't post the pic of an ambiguous black box and not list it's contents!

It is a Pelican case. At first I bought it because it is water- (and air-) tight. I found it very useful to hide the first wife's body until I could dispose of it properly. Now, it holds my power-puller, tow straps, duct tape, gloves, plastice tarp and such for off-roading (I can take some pic's tomorrow of the inside, when I am up in the hills).
Old 01-13-2008, 07:02 AM   #14
Devout Atheist

Nice! I was wondering if you could fit a body in it.... I need something like that for my extra off road gear. I just leave my hi-lift in 24x7 now, and my tow strap behind the rear seats. Once I get any more crap I'll need a box in the bed for it.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I used some 1x8 composite deck material and it seems to line up pretty good. It's not Trex brand, but I did find it at Home Depot.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #16

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice! I was wondering if you could fit a body in it.... I need something like that for my extra off road gear. I just leave my hi-lift in 24x7 now, and my tow strap behind the rear seats. Once I get any more crap I'll need a box in the bed for it.

This is where I got it from, good price too.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-solution.html
Old 01-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #17

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here is what it is used for now, wink wink, nod nod.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic bedliner 'slots'-pict0044-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wanted to make the top surface of the planks the same height as the ridge and wheelarches for maximum support of the material; if I use a standard 2" x 6" it will be too high unless is sand it down a bit.

Has anyone done this? If so, what material did you use? And how much load did you put on there?
I did this last month the same time I got that hitch-based tailgate extender phantom posted. There's a thread on here about it. Search for "hauling plywood" to find it.

You need a 2x8 if you want to fit the width of the slots. The slots are deeper than 1-by lumber would be. I notched the bottom of the lumber so the top would be flush. I nibbled it away with a miter saw set to the right depth.

Also, that tailgate extender needs some mods before it's completely useful. It needs to be cut so it extends less if you want support for 8-foot lumber. I also have to add carpeted 2-by blocks on top of it (with hose clamps) so that in the top position it's level with those cross beams. It also needs a new lowest position hole if you want it level with the tailgate to support narrow lumber.

I put in more effort than I really wanted to, but since I like make furniture, sometimes I'm hauling high-dollar hardwood veneered plywood.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #20
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd1 View Post
This is where I got it from, good price too.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-solution.html
You can get it here even cheaper: $141 (see the "no foam" listing in the table near the bottom)
http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less....ican_1700.html