LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Black TailLight Mod (BTLM)

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Black TailLight Mod (BTLM)

Has anyone over here done it yet? I saw on another forum (Vince, I think he is on here too, SWB XR)

If so post some pics of it, I want to see some more photos of the finished product on different color trucks.

You cut the taillight using a dremel. The second light I cut apart I did much better because I knew what I was doing. You don't want to cut just through the black line that you can see but not deep enough to where you hit the red portion of the light.

After you've made your cuts you'll need to try and pry it off slowly working your way around the light. You'll probably need to make a few more cuts in certain areas because the plastic that you cut will harden in some areas. Don't force it off though because it looks like it will chip the lense.

After you'll want to sand down the are where you just cut so later you can reseal the light.

Next tape off the areas you don't want to paint.

This is as far as I've made it so far. I'm happy with my tape job to this point, but now I'm not sure if I want to keep all the reflectors red. I'd like to paint more black but I'm worried about local law enforcement hassling me so I'll probably keep them red now that I think about.

Here's the only picture I have of my progress so far:

I just finished taping the second light during my lunch break, so maybe I'll prep the light to paint later.

More pics to come....

Vince if you're on here thanks for your write up. Post some pics so the guys over here can see how well yours came out!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
dmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: c-17 loadmaster
dmbfan73's Tacoma Gallery
Black tail light mod complete

vince and i have done 3 sets of these now. we did the mod on my LED tails yesterday. heres the pics we have so far. enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BlkT View Post
Has anyone over here done it yet? I saw on another forum (Vince, I think he is on here too, SWB XR)

If so post some pics of it, I want to see some more photos of the finished product on different color trucks.

You cut the taillight using a dremel. The second light I cut apart I did much better because I knew what I was doing. You don't want to cut just through the black line that you can see but not deep enough to where you hit the red portion of the light.

After you've made your cuts you'll need to try and pry it off slowly working your way around the light. You'll probably need to make a few more cuts in certain areas because the plastic that you cut will harden in some areas. Don't force it off though because it looks like it will chip the lense.

After you'll want to sand down the are where you just cut so later you can reseal the light.

Next tape off the areas you don't want to paint.

This is as far as I've made it so far. I'm happy with my tape job to this point, but now I'm not sure if I want to keep all the reflectors red. I'd like to paint more black but I'm worried about local law enforcement hassling me so I'll probably keep them red now that I think about.

Here's the only picture I have of my progress so far:

I just finished taping the second light during my lunch break, so maybe I'll prep the light to paint later.

More pics to come....

Vince if you're on here thanks for your write up. Post some pics so the guys over here can see how well yours came out!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Fire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFire931 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fire931's Tacoma Gallery
i've thought about doing that with my stock tails.. wanna do a set for me???
Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
dmbfn73 - nice work on the tails

On the LED set did you black out the top side reflector or did it not come with one on those lights?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
dmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddmbfan73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
the housing was mostly black. the area around the leds was chrome which always drove me nuts so i used plasti dip,matched pretty good.
Quote:

On the LED set did you black out the top side reflector or did it not come with one on those lights?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
the top side reflector isnt there like the stockers, it has 3 small holes for led's to show through.
Quote:

Old 09-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
white+Peal has a spectacular aura aboutwhite+Peal has a spectacular aura about

Name: Kris
white+Peal's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to white+Peal
those look good.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
its a pretty easy mod, you just have to take your time. it takes about 4 hours or so, biggest pain is cutting the lenses and taping everything off is time consuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire931 View Post
i've thought about doing that with my stock tails.. wanna do a set for me???
Old 09-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
My R6 Eats Me
AlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlexForbesR6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
AlexForbesR6's Tacoma Gallery
you taped that up like a pro!!!...my taping gets the job done but i use like half a roll to get all the nooks and crannies!!!
ahaha
Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
Absolutely sick. I wanna do it to mine. Can you get photos of exactly where you cut?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
flyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to allflyingface is a name known to all

Name: Zach
flyingface's Tacoma Gallery
Is the outside cover clear? I was thinking it had a pinkish tint to it...
Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
wish you guys lived closer so that way I could get these done...dam so many projects so little time...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
yes it is, almost forgot to mention that. heres some pics with a clear lens and the stock one. a light coat of tint will get rid of the "pink".

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingface View Post
Is the outside cover clear? I was thinking it had a pinkish tint to it...
Old 09-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #18
theres a small groove between the black plastic housing and the lens, thats where you'll wanna cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyouto42 View Post
Absolutely sick. I wanna do it to mine. Can you get photos of exactly where you cut?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
gupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgupster88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
gupster88's Tacoma Gallery
that looks good man. might have to look into that mod!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
Mod'n on a Budget

1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the clear lense?

Do you have any photos of the one with the pink lense before you tinted it? That's probably what mine will end up looking like since mine are pinkish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan73 View Post
yes it is, almost forgot to mention that. heres some pics with a clear lens and the stock one. a light coat of tint will get rid of the "pink".