1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the more offroad capable: FJ or Taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:38 AM
    ERdept

ERdept [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm getting close to buying and have always debated these two. My driving will mostly be to work, then once a month, driving to a trail and driving out. Camping, and hauling my hobby stuff (guns).

But I also want to know which is the better off road. I know this is a Tacoma forum, but I'm asking you to step outside of yourselves and give me your honest take on offroad practicality and performance comparo for the two for me. I need your help.

2. Jan 12, 2008 at 10:43 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    FJ.

specs tell the tale.

A TRD Off-road Taco will still do very well. Doesnt sound like your doing the Rubicon trail or extreme off-roading to wreck your 30K investment. Either should fit the bill, but and you can actually haul something in a Tacoma.

3. Jan 12, 2008 at 11:10 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm not familiar with the FJ's - but I would research the differences between their 4WD systems, & locker options.

Other than that - I would think the FJ can haul more people plus more interior room.

When it comes to aftermarket offroad accessories -I would tend to believe the Tacoma has more available.

For light offroading - you can't go wrong with either. What's the price tag comparison between the two?

If that offroad itch gets too overwhelming - you can always save your pennnies and buy another vehicle (a beater-upper truck), upgrade it, and wheel the snot outta it and keep your tacoma or FJ in prestine condition.

4. Jan 12, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I would say the FJ is more capable. Shorter wheelbase so less chance of high centering. Then again the shorter wheelbase might also mean you'd get stuck in mud. There's a few places I've been where I had just enough momentum for the front tires to bite solid ground while the rears were spinning mud just as the truck slowed down. A shorter vehicle may have bogged down before hitting solid ground, or would need more speed to get through. Depends on the situation. Some places you don't want too much speed (recalling a a vid I saw of an FJ smacking a tree and bending the hell out of his ARB because of too much speed).

Either way, the taco has more cargo capacity, and a DC taco has more passenger capacity. I seriously looked at an FJ when they came out, but it looked like a real pain in the ass to get anyone other than small kids out of the back. If you're a bachelor with no kids then it's probably ok. That's who Toyota designed it for. If you have a wife and kids, forget about it. Car seats would be a bitch, and it would probably be too small as the kids got older. Then again, you can always buy a bigger vehicle later.

Since it's more like a Jeep I've seen a lot of aftermarket goodies for the FJ. More so than the Taco at first, but they're coming for the Taco too.

Guess it depends on if you want a truck or a jeep, and if you wheel solo or with friends along for the ride.

Seems like the FJ's were more than the Taco's too. Maybe get an actual jeep (used, or already modded) for a fraction of the price and build it up?

5. Jan 12, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    This would make an interesting article in a magazine. Its hard to say. Now the FJ's from way back, I think they would give them a run for their money. By 2days standards, the new FJ is probably catered more 2wards the daily driver. Not weekend warrior!..Just my 2 cents!

6. Jan 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    I have never seen the new fj's in the mud or trail, but they were designed to mimic the old ones, that's some fine pedigree. To keep it fair you would have to keep the wheelbase as close as you could, regular cab taco to the fj and the fj's rear diff would have to stay in the open configuration, i would say very close to maybe a slight advantage to the taco b/c of power to weight ratio. I am not that familiar with the final drive ratio of the fj, 3:73 or 4:10's ?

7. Jan 12, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
  8. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:07 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
  9. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:13 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    Here's the FJ on the Rubicon Trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLXqvrwKY3s

I think the FJ's are badass. They are two very different vehicles, with different uses. Both of which are very capable offroaders with Toyota quality and Reliability.

10. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
  11. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
  12. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    True. Just goes to show you can drop $30-$40g's on a wheeling rig, and all the gadgets and gizmos won't save your stupid ass. :laugh:

Although in the second vid I'm thinking maybe a longer wheelbase might have helped... I dunno... Looks like if he could've made it a couple more feet... :laugh:

13. Jan 12, 2008 at 6:56 PM
    trd_sport

trd_sport Active Member

Member:
    FJ will give you the best off-roading vehicle for sure.

14. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:03 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    I agree, if only for the same reason a Wrangler is so good off road: short wheelbase.

15. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:05 PM
    tacotoe

tacotoe Pastry Chef

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    `17 AC Sport MT
    ARE Topper, Icon aal, OEM Audio+
    I think the FJ is designed to be more capable off-road. The Tacoma does very well off-road too. I think a new access cab/short box 6spd man and TRD(lock.dif.),and a topper would be great...but I`m "Family Guy",now.

16. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:42 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    YES...that's exactly what my husband and I did.

No worries - you can beat the snot out of it and not really care (like you would with a nice shiney $30K pament ridden daily driver).

And if you keep that trail rig legal on the streets, you have an extra set of wheels in case something goes wrong with your daily driver.;)

Again - I don't know much about the FJ's.... I would think their center of gravity is higher and thus would get *tippy* sooner than a taco would.

17. Jan 13, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Went out today and we all got stuck in the snow. 4 FJ's and my Taco. Of course, if we all had not stopped to clear the tree out of our way, trucks slowly settling into the 3' of snow, it may not have happened. But, since I was in the lead, I did not want to hit the tree...

18. Jan 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Know your intended use. Both rigs offer the same powertrain options and have the same front suspension.

Rear suspension is where you'll find the differences:
    Tacoma = solid rear axle & leaf springs. Better for towing, hauling, and overall reliability.
    FJ = independent, coil-sprung rear suspension. Better general handling and most high-speed stuff.

It's really a toss-up. Rock-crawler guys swap out independent front suspension for solid axles for better strength and more articulation. Desert racers keep the independent front and gusset the rear solid axle. Even the trophy trucks run solid rear axles. :shrug:

Go with whichever you like more. Honestly, both will be up to whatever offroad task you through them at. And if that task is something specialized or beyond the capability of the truck, you'll end up with a build on your hands anyway. Each have their own weaknesses to overcome, but neither are full of fail.

19. Jan 14, 2008 at 8:29 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is where I was, along with 4 FJ's. We were all stuck. This is after we got the 2 FJ's out that were trying to pull me out, first in, last out. I keep telling those FJ'ers that it took 4 FJ's to pull out where 1 Taco went. (they were not buying it, though!)

My Taco (Small).jpg

20. Jan 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM
    dbbd1

dbbd1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh yeah, that was virgin snow before I did my imitation of an icebreaker (I would get a run at it, ride up on it with my skid, slowly settle). Might be time for taller tires (now, I just need the money)

Products Discussed in

To Top