Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

EGR In-channel rain guards

Old 09-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Banned
K5423 will become famous soon enoughK5423 will become famous soon enough
K5423's Tacoma Gallery
EGR In-channel rain guards

Just got my set of 4 for my 2010 double cab.The fronts fit in perfectly but the backs with the tape will not fit in the window channel snug for the tape to stick........even with the window up.I've got the windows up with a bunch of match books wedged up in there so the tape will grab but i'm afraid eventually,like maybe right away after the match books are removed,when someone puts the back window(s) down they will just blow off with the wind.In short the rear visors are not thick enough to fit snug in the channel(s).Any suggestions on a remedy?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue on my '06 with the EGRs. They didn't look like they would last at first but after I installed them I kept the window rolled up to hold it in there and give the tape a good bond. The next morning when I was driving I hesitantly rolled down the back windows and they held their ground just fine. 4 months later and I have no issues with them.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Banned
K5423's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor88 View Post
I had the same issue on my '06 with the EGRs. They didn't look like they would last at first but after I installed them I kept the window rolled up to hold it in there and give the tape a good bond. The next morning when I was driving I hesitantly rolled down the back windows and they held their ground just fine. 4 months later and I have no issues with them.
But I could actually see the sticky part of the tape while the window was rolled up........it was not touching the channel to seal itself.It's jammed up in the channel as far as it can go too.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Same here. I can still see some tape on the rear drivers side but it's in there strong. It's in there strong though with whatever tape that has made contact and then being wedged into the window itself.

This reminds me that I need to take that one off and clean off the "excess" tape, kinda looks like crap. I'll just put it back on with some 3M double side. You could do the same if you're concerned about it falling off. I say give it the night to set and then try it out in the morning.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
My rear ones flew off on the highway one day while driving with the windows down.

Marc M
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Banned
K5423's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
My rear ones flew off on the highway one day while driving with the windows down.

Marc M
Not good! Is the 3M tape really strong?Anything else stronger?Going to Home Depot tomorrow to buy new tape to reinforce all 4 so my $70 investment does'nt end up on the freeway.I am going to scrape off that crap tape that EGR uses.What about any type of glue instead of tape?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Batang SMB
tacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the roughtacoterra is a jewel in the rough

tacoterra's Tacoma Gallery
had the same issue.3m worked pretty good 4 months w/o issue.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #8
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I used 3M on the rear vents as well. Because the tape is white, you have to use a very small piece (like 1/4"). I just used about 10 of these small pieces of tape from one side to the other. The 3M tape is thick and takes up the slack in the channel.

I actually used this stuff on the front too. It eliminates any chance of a rattle. 5 months and I have no problems.

Use this stuff:
Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM   #9
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
im thinking about getting these should i go with a specific brand or any would do ?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Banned
K5423's Tacoma Gallery
The 3M tape did the trick.I had to double up,2 layers of tape one on top of the other,to fill the gap in the channel for it to grab correctly.Maybe 2010 Tacos have a wider channel then the previous years.Anyhoo......they are on tight now.