LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Front Skid Plate...Paint It White?

View Poll Results: What Would Fit My Super White Tacoma Best? (Skid Plate Customization)
Leave It Black! 14 45.16%
Paint A White "TRD" On It! 11 35.48%
Paint It White! 3 9.68%
The Stock Alumn Would Look Good With White! 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Front Skid Plate...Paint It White?

Got the OEM Front Skid plate and immediately painted it black since the alum. looks off with the Super White. I purchased it primarily for looks and for a little additional protection. Problem with the black is that it blends right in to the belly and its almost not noticeable.

Im considering a few things, either...

A) Painting a white "TRD" centered on it
B) Painting it completely white
C) Leaving it black and enjoying it the way it is.

Ive got an X-runner lower valance cover on the way if that mixes in at all. Here is a pic of the current setup (sorry for poor quality)...

...and a pic of what the lower valance cover will look like (Courtesy of Viet2100's pictures)

S!LVERT4COM4's TRD Skid Plate:

What Say You?...
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42
I say paint it black, or go option #5, real armor
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
I say keep the skid plate painted black and if anything paint the TRD white...

if you did paint it completely white...it would be a PITA to keep it clean...and white...
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Have it Line-X'd and then spray a TRD logo in White!
Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Rollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the roughRollinn is a jewel in the rough
Rollinn's Tacoma Gallery
little is more in my opinion.. Sometimes when you do too much is starts looking a little overly done.. But to each their own.. I want that skid plate if you decide you just dont want it

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPilot View Post
Got the OEM Front Skid plate and immediately painted it black since the alum. looks off with the Super White. I purchased it primarily for looks and for a little additional protection. Problem with the black is that it blends right in to the belly and its almost not noticeable.

Im considering a few things, either...

A) Painting a white "TRD" centered on it
B) Painting it completely white
C) Leaving it black and enjoying it the way it is.

Ive got an X-runner lower valance cover on the way if that mixes in at all. Here is a pic of the current setup (sorry for poor quality)...

...and a pic of what the lower valance cover will look like (Courtesy of Viet2100's pictures)

S!LVERT4COM4's TRD Skid Plate:

What Say You?...
Old 09-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Drakken is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: Nevin
Drakken's Tacoma Gallery
I think that white would show too many signs from road debris and the like to ever look nice except when freshly washed. IMHO keep it black and do the TRD logo, that would compliment things well.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Black with white TRD would look great
Old 09-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Have it Line-X'd and then spray a TRD logo in White!...
Seriously. I wish I had seen that thread before I painted mine. I would imagine it would be a huge pain in the ass to sand mine down at this point, so if I wanted to go back that route I would have to sell the one I got and just buy another one.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
WHITE TACO
calfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jeremy
calfire88's Tacoma Gallery

this is what i did with mine...i actually just finished it up last nite...painted white with trd in black
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
mmmm tacos!
nad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shednad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
nad's Tacoma Gallery
if your gonna paint it you must not plan on doing any offroad.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I voted "black." Just thinking because it probably takes a heck of a beating with rock chips etc.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
WHITE TACO
calfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of lightcalfire88 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by nad View Post
if your gonna paint it you must not plan on doing any offroad.
right now my hours at work gotcut bigtime and iv been home way too much lately so i got bored and did it, lol the way i look at it is ill have stories to tell bout it when it get dinged up playin in the dirt =)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 PM   #14
Reznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReznor88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: More Trouble Than It's Worth Sometimes
Name: Mike
Reznor88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfire88 View Post
That's a very unique front end, and I mean that in a good way.

I'm liking the license plate. I'm sure it's not too complicated but how did you do it? Cops give you any problems about it?

You should check on getting some plugs for the holes in your bumper.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:36 PM   #15
WHITE TACO

thanks renzor,
im kinda broke so been lookin at ways to make it stand out a bit as my own and not like everyones elses i see driving, lol

actually i just ran it down a table saw with a meatal blae then filed off the excess, and no problems yet...tho some cops have stared me down pretty hardcore, but i dont think it will be a problem unless they catch me doin somethin else first
Old 09-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seriously. I wish I had seen that thread before I painted mine. I would imagine it would be a huge pain in the ass to sand mine down at this point, so if I wanted to go back that route I would have to sell the one I got and just buy another one.
NO! WAIT!!!
I originally sprayed mine black. I got too many nicks on it. I started to see the silver underneath. All that in 3 weeks. The guy at Line-X said it was ok to have the Line-X sprayed over the black spray paint.
Picture included of the before.
Here is the after again.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Skid Plate...Paint It White?-p8100033.jpg  
Old 09-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
ROLLIN ON RUST
senor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenor taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
senor taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calfire88 View Post

this is what i did with mine...i actually just finished it up last nite...painted white with trd in black
That front end looks so good I've never seen any thing like it.

My vote is paint it black with white trd.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 AM   #18

Quote:
I originally sprayed mine black. I got too many nicks on it. I started to see the silver underneath. All that in 3 weeks. The guy at Line-X said it was ok to have the Line-X sprayed over the black spray paint.
Yeah, but I did the rubberized undercoat like another member so it has a thicker style cover. I think with some goof off and a good powerwash I may be able to get it off. Dunno...Ill have to do some research today. If I line-x'd it would a decal stick to it? Im thinking painting a TRD on there would be a huge PITA.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #19
There's a mod for that!

w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, but I did the rubberized undercoat like another member so it has a thicker style cover. I think with some goof off and a good powerwash I may be able to get it off. Dunno...Ill have to do some research today. If I line-x'd it would a decal stick to it? Im thinking painting a TRD on there would be a huge PITA.
A decal will not work. You need to have it painted on there. A PITA? Yes, it will be, but it will not so freakin' good when your done with it. I'm looking into that now, so if I succeed I'll def post on TW!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #20

Quote:
A decal will not work. You need to have it painted on there. A PITA? Yes, it will be, but it will not so freakin' good when your done with it. I'm looking into that now, so if I succeed I'll def post on TW!
Indeed! I think thats my plan as well. Maybe this morning Ill head over to the Depot and snag some graffiti remover and try to powerwash the spraypaint off mine then head over to line-x. Id line-x over it, but like I said...I used the rubberized undercoat so it has some texture and Im not sure if that would change anything re: line-x.