Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Kayak Transportation?

Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
raskal311's Tacoma Gallery
Kayak Transportation?

I just picked up a 14í fish and dive kayak. Iím trying to figure out the best way to transport it on the taco. What is the best way to mount it on the taco? Iíve tried the below Iím also thinking about balancing it on the top of the cab completely. Is there a better way of transporting this thing?
Old 09-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
I wish i could be of more help, but just today i saw a tacoma with a kayak. He had some kind of rack system mounted to the top of his truck bed, like those used to carry ladders and such. but your could tell it was made specifically for hauling a kayak. I would research the internet and see what may be available.
But it looked sharp, and im sure it's better for the truck and the kayak
Old 09-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-997.html

http://www.orsracksdirect.com/thule-...ayak-rack.html

these might help you out
Old 09-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
R.O.U.S.
RV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to beholdRV7Garage is a splendid one to behold
Army: Veteran - 154th Sig. Bn., USARSO Panama
Name: Paul
RV7Garage's Tacoma Gallery
That's friggin awesome! How much were the materials, would you say?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I sold my Necky Kayak about a year ago, i had a canopy with "rain gutter" mounts, before that I used the stake pockets (older truck) to make a rear support, and used an extra foam sheet about 1" thick to help spread the front weight over the roof with 2 foam kayak support pieces. Slide the kayak farther to the rear to put less weight up front too
Another option is a long load support that slides into the 2" hitch.. raise to suit your needs.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TightShirts
TightShirts's Tacoma Gallery
i'd just find a ladder rack on your local craigslist, then just get some foam padding or one of those pool noodles and wrap the rack with it to protect the kayak... much cheaper than a "kayak rack"
Old 09-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightShirts View Post
i'd just find a ladder rack on your local craigslist, then just get some foam padding or one of those pool noodles and wrap the rack with it to protect the kayak... much cheaper than a "kayak rack"
Keeping it on the truck and not shifting is critical, a loose kayak might be 60 lb but will really mess up your day if it came off and your the next vehicle. POOL NOODLE? ...we ought smack you with one
Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
The StormTrooper
TightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shedTightShirts is one of the sharper tools in the shed

sorry i thought strapping it down would be obvious... i ought to smack you for thinking i was that stupid and as for the pool noodle- cut a slit in it and put it around the metal tubing similar to the rack on this:

i haul my 400 lb motorcycle all the time- i would think a 60 lb kayak would be a piece of cake
Old 09-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #10
senile member

yea, was funnin ya.
Oddly though, a 400 lb atv seemed easier than getting a kayak right the first few times. Mostly becase you have to watch the shape of the bottom w/o distorting it. M/C and atv you just compress
Old 09-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #11
The StormTrooper

yeah quads are super easy- 1000cc sportbikes are a little more difficult well the last time i was kayaking i went with my buddy's dad who makes some fibreglass ones locally (i don't remember the name of his company), he wanted me to test one of his new models since i'm a bigger guy and i'm right at the weight limit that he reccomends for them- anyways he had a rack in the shape of a sideways H that held 4 kayaks and all it was, was a metal rack with some foam protectors around it- it looked pretty simplistic so i assumed that it didn't take much, a rack just helped because it it's size... idk maybe since i used to deliver appliances and i've been hauling motorcyles since i was 16 i'm just so used to strapping stuff down i really don't think about things like that in depth

i'm going to go swiming now with my pool noodles lol
Old 09-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #12
raskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedraskal311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
bump for a few more ideas. Rocket 67, that looks awsome but i'm not sure about installing that rack everytime I need to move the kayak and having to store it some where when i'm not usinging it.

So far I like the hitch mount but dang... that mean I have to get a hitch, the hitch mount and a roof rack... Mulllllaaa $$$
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
These carry 450lbs of anything........Thule xsporters.........I carry the 2 12' wilderness systems tarpon kayaks hull facing up flat on these racks. Very stable on frwy. Sorry, no pic with the yaks up top.

edit - O yeah, they run about 500.00 with the adapters to connect to our bedrails........
Old 09-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #14
Thats what I was look at last night only issue is I have a tuna cover. Whats great about this one is that I can use it to move my snow board as well. Maybe a good investment.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
I may be going to with roof rack/tow rack idea so any idea where I can find the cheapest roof rack?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
If I order the Yakima do I need the with with rain gutter or without?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #18
Old Guy Member
satchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nicesatchsd is just really nice

Air Force: mech
satchsd's Tacoma Gallery
i have 2 kayaks and one is pretty heavy hobie pro angler i found an old jet ski trailer and mounted a home made rack on it and painted to match the truck
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #19
911Targa is on a distinguished road
911Targa's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive my ignorance , are these Thule rack feet a no-drill mount ? I didn't see anything on their website that show exactly how they mount to the roof .