Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Customized Front Skid Plate

Old 09-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

IrishPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Customized Front Skid Plate

1) Big shout to Edrin55 and w8n4mud on their thread about Line-X'ing the front skid plate. Awesome idea.
2) I am by no means talented, handy, nor am I an artist. Im sure 99% of you could do this better than I just did.
3) I didnt measure, sketch, think, etc. I just started and finished...so dont nail me for the imperfections.

So I wanted to redo my OEM Front Skid Plate because I really didnt think the Aluminum worked well with my white Tacoma. I wanted it to be black, but the black almost disguised it underneath, and I really like the look of the skid as much as I like the functionality.

At first I did a spraypaint of rubberized undercoating. I did a terrible job and it looked like crap, so I powerwashed it off (with the help of some graffiti remover) and started from scratch. I figured if I did a stencil and spraypainted that the paint would be all over and how would I hold down a stencil over the Line-X? Meh...do 'er by hand.

First I had my local Line-X guy spray the face side on his suggestion. He suggested I just spraypaint the back with a good black paint that would last the elements.

Next I cut out a stencil I had done of the TRD and laid it out where I wanted it. I decided to spread out the letters a little so its not exactly like the true logo. Dont care. I also didnt measure, tape, etc. so its probably not perfect when it comes to level, spacing, etc. Meh. Its Line-X...if I dont like the paint, some stripper will take it right off without harming the coat.

Then I used a sharpie to trace around the letters. This worked twofold...since the ink would leak onto the stencil, I knew where I had already outlined so I didnt have to go in order. With a small brush I used some modeling paint to do the lettering outlines...

Then on to do all the letters...

And on the truck for a test look. The white is more pronounced in person. Its almost hard to see in the pics.

I havent decided If I will fill the letters in (original intention) as I kind of like the hollowed out look. If I were a more patient man, Id also add the "Toyota Racing Development" or maybe "Off Road" but the cutting of the stencils would take more time than I care to invest at this point.

Sorry I dont pics of it installed yet...I just finished this like 10 minutes ago lol. The whole project took maybe a half hour. Hope you like!

UPDATE....filled in letters...

Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Thanks! Looks killer
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
IrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to beholdIrishPilot is a splendid one to behold

Pretty simple. Ive got a pad in front of me trying to decide if I should add more to it.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Hhmmmm....I just might do that next....Very nice!! How much was the line-x??
Old 09-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #6

Added some pics of it on the truck. Its far more pronounced in person. Cant decide if I should fill in the letters, leave it be, add more stuff...
Old 09-14-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
I say fill them in.....
Old 09-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #8

Finally filled in the letters. Looks much better I think. Now what to do next...

...and another new addition (matching Red Wings badge on the other side)

Old 09-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #9

rob1's Tacoma Gallery
are you in the WOkole Seat Covers feeler??.......I'm not to expensive for me right know
Old 09-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
are you in the WOkole Seat Covers feeler??.......I'm not to expensive for me right know
Yeah Im in. I plan to drive this truck into the ground, and between being in the gym every morning, having a daughter, living in the midwest, etc. it seems like a worthy investment. F'n spendy...but an investment nonetheless.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrin55 View Post
Dude....you are more than welcome. Thats why TW is here, to help other members and owners of Tacomas. But damn.... your skid plate looks awesome. Im jealous now.... Wanna come to CA and paint my TRD letters? Great job...
Its incredibly easy man...I am a no talent assclown when it comes to artistic projects. Here is what I did:

1. Looked up TRD decal online and literally traced it onto white paper (put the paper on the computer screen)
2. Cut out letters
3. Traced and painted as described above.

Easy peasy. Im sure many could do a much cooler design than I did.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
AlphaPlanner
thestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud ofthestrangebrew has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
thestrangebrew's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good bro. Great move filling in the letters. I'm going to do the BHLM mod first then this. The line-x idea was great!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
stroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shedstroM- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
stroM-'s Tacoma Gallery
Looking good, i love that line-x look for the skid plate. Good write up!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #16
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! Good job!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #17
There's a mod for that!
w8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedw8n4mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Albert
w8n4mud's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! We are now planning something similar. We'll keep you posted.
Oh and you're welcome!
Old 09-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4mud View Post
Nice work! We are now planning something similar. We'll keep you posted.
Oh and you're welcome!
Nice! The nice thing is, with the Line-X on there if you dont like your paint work it comes off extremely easy and you can start over. Im already sketching some more dynamic ideas. Keep me posted on your work!