1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

steering rack/ steering flutter tsb???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomaman06, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Jan 15, 2008 at 2:28 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    anyone have any info on this tsb and anyone know if it includes the 06?? anyone have a link to the actual tsb that i can print up?? i know it involves the 05, but i think i really need this done on my 06(i think they replace a spring in the steering rack??!).

i've spent an assload of $$$ on tire balances(regular computer balance and road force balance)new tires(went from my wrangler silent armors to my revos), alignments galore and its not fixing the problem of the steering wheel shaking at "freeway" speeds....like 60/70mph.

any info will be much appreciated!!!

2. Jan 15, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    havent tried the "chase" deal yet. tried jacking it up and checking the whole suspension for any abnormal looseness. plus i always torque my lugnuts the 87 ft/lb recommendation.

the steering wheel shake is just annoying as hell, and to my estimation, shouldnt be happening like it is.

3. Jan 15, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

well, i just had my tires balanced again this past weekend(normal computer balance this time), so i think i'll take my truck back to the dealership and let them road-force balance the tires and see what they have to say about "steering flutter" and maybe any problems with the steering rack..............tsb-wise anyway.

4. Jan 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Have you rotated the tires to see if it increases/decreases the problem.
    I know that on mine, I recently had the tires rotated and leaving the stealer I noticed that the steering wheel was shaking. I complained, took it back and they mentioned that it is hard to balance custom wheels. I am pretty sure that they just rotated the tires back to the way they were and this fixed the problem. Sucks, especially since I bought it with these wheels and tires already on it from the stealer.

5. Jan 15, 2008 at 6:26 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

its the same either way on my truck.

6. Jan 15, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    anyone else???? anymore info on this tsb??? i really need to get this squared away.......its driving me insane!!!! i've spent a small fortune:mad: on alignments and balances that i could have bought a nice set of American Racing wheels to go with my revos!!

7. Jan 16, 2008 at 3:51 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Explain Steering flutter... What exactly is it doing?

8. Jan 16, 2008 at 2:07 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

i posted on tn also, but basically.........steering wheel constantly shaking(at times real bad/other times not too bad....but still there) no matter how many alignments and balances i've had done.

like i said, im gonna go to stealer this wknd and get the tires road force balanced(havent done this with the revos yet....just normal computer spin) and see if that will take care of the problem. who knows??:confused:

9. Jan 16, 2008 at 6:35 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

havent had a chance to try the "chase" part yet, but as far as checking the free play.....none to speak of really, which is to be expected from a rack and pinion setup. and road force balancing, doesnt remove rubber, but it does true up the tire to the rim, pressure forced basically is how i understand it anyway. gonna try that this weekend and see if that helps....but i may also have to lower my psi just a bit too....not sure yet. right now im running 32 in front /30 in rear............................29,like what owners manual calls for, seems like not enough air to me.

im also thinking of getting one of those shurtrax bladder bet weight deals, may make mpg go down a bit, but will probably smooth out the ride pretty good, especially on the interstate where im constantly running 65/75 mph.

10. Jan 16, 2008 at 8:56 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

definitely gonna do that(talking to the wheel techs).

little rant here though.........what the hell is up with so many pot holes the size of a small house, and really crappy roads:rant:??? states,counties and cities suck at fixing things. alot of the ways the roads are so screwed up ,as far as im concerned,have alot to do with automobiles getting torn up!!!

11. Jan 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM
    04asphalt

04asphalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    06 TRD prerunner,access cab, v6 also but bone stock.

having issues with steering flutter and tires are wearing uneven(very loud).

going to have it inspected at dealer

12. Jan 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well, a week ago(yeah...i forgot to post back a few days ago on this) i got the dealership to roadforce my tires, and that took care of a big majority of my problem.......vibration between 60 and 75mph!! now, the ride is smooth as glass. when i asked the dealer about the aforementioned tsb, they said the typical thing dealers say..........its been fixed for the 06 model year....and its normal. it really isnt too bad now, with my alignment that i had 2 weeks ago along with the tires being roadforced. the only time so far that its been really bad in the past week is when its been windy as hell. other than that, i think im good to go now!!

13. Jan 29, 2008 at 11:56 PM
    pdxyota

pdxyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Newberg, OR
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5M 2TR-FE SR5 Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    TSB x 2 because first TSB leaf springs broke
    I had the TSB done today: I have the non-TRD, so I got a new leafpack, full Bilstein shocks, alignment & new u-bolts.

The shudder thing in my steering disappeared completely. It feels SUPER
    F-ing solid now and drives better than new. There is NO harsh ride, it's NO bouncier, in fact I'd say it absorbs the bumps & potholes 100% better than it did before.

HIGHLY recommend getting the TSB done. And if you're in the Portland, OR area go to Royal Moore Toyota in Hillsboro, awesome dealership & service department.

NO steering flutter! Solid ride that feels like a real truck. Solid cornering, does NOT lean, the alignment makes it really feel great, the steering is tighter & the whole thing is nice to drive now.

14. Feb 6, 2008 at 2:27 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    well................i talked to the regional service manager today at my dealership(he happened to be there), explained to them about spending so much on alignments and tire balances that im done doing it, and he said bring the truck in tomorrow and they will see what they can do. hopefully,they can fix this "all over the damned road" situation im constantly having with my prerunner. and im gonna also see if they can go ahead and do the harsh ride/leaf spring tsb!! im getting really aggravated with this shit, and hopefully,finally, they will find and fix the problem. wish me luck!!

15. Feb 6, 2008 at 5:04 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    There is a "Vehicle Pulls to One Side" TSB (TSB:00501). It's for all Toyotas 2002-2007. Don't know if that helps. No link to a full TSB. You can sign up here: http://www.mycarstats.com/safetystation.asp to see what TSBs are available for your vehicle. You have to purchase a subscription to see the whole thing but you can see the title.

16. Feb 6, 2008 at 5:37 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah, we talked about that one, and thats basically swapping tires around and an alignment. hopefully they will figure out why my truck likes to wander all over hell and half of georgia, and get it squared away fianlly. im gonna also see if they will go ahead and do the "harsh ride/leaf spring" tsb....we talked about that today also.

17. Feb 7, 2008 at 6:08 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    the dealer had my truck all day today and the service manager said the techs were "dumbfounded" about what i mean about my truck "wandering" all over the road( steering wheel shake is mostly gone now from road forcing the tires).....so we talked about the "harsh ride" leaf spring tsb, and he agreed to do do it. he's ordering the parts tomorrow, and says next monday or tuesday, i can get it done(hopefully the parts will be in on time). i think this may firm up my ride a good bit and possibly keep the truck planted to the road instead of having to constantly keep correcting the steering wheel and wander all over the lane!!

18. Feb 7, 2008 at 7:20 PM
    tacomax

tacomax Member

Member:
    I had the same issue since I bought mine new in 05 I did the balance, alignmnent. roadforce.. even swaped from bridgestones tires to michelins. the latter one help tremendously.. but its barely noticeable this problem is the same one on the LExus gx 470 since they use a similar rack config.. what the fix does is not really a fix but a way to dampen the vibration by installing a heavier preload spring in the power steering rack gear assembly some on the lexus, since its a lexus, even include a heavier steering wheel, but not on the toyotas.. I also got rid of it by tightening the preload spring manually it does make your steering a bit heavier but you have to know what your doing because you may wear the gears inside the rack especially at the turns..and its tricky to maneuver the right tool on top of the big nut

19. Feb 7, 2008 at 7:32 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....

if the leaf spring tsb doesnt take of my prob....i may get the heavy duty spring for the rack and pinion and do it myself. i had a copy of the tsb printed up......now im just not sure what the hell the wife did with it:rolleyes:!! but hopefully....the leaf spring tsb will take care of it!!

20. Mar 15, 2008 at 3:50 PM
    04asphalt

04asphalt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner

same thing here, did see one of the rims is out of round while spinning on balancer(lug-centric). I will see if a new rim cures it :( need to print a copy of this TSB!! already had the spring TSB done, vibe still here.....

Products Discussed in

To Top