Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

royal purple = increased MPG??

Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
mcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmcgiiver is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mcgiiver's Tacoma Gallery
What was cause? What symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
No, IIRC like all other synthetics you have an extended change cycle. I don't do synthetics on my taco because I don't think it's worth it. I put synthetic mobil1 in my diff at 30k and now my truck is at the dealer getting a new diff at 54k. Thank God for warranties.

Before anyone has to ask, yes I put in the right weight, type and volume of gear oil in the diff.

To what do you attribute your diff failure? Do you think the oil had anything to do with it?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #22
kbaum08 will become famous soon enough
kbaum08's Tacoma Gallery
I run RP in all of my vehicles I usually change to it on the 3rd oil change on a new vehcicles, therefore I do not have any evidence of those kind of mileage claims although all of the vehicles apear to be on the high side of mileage claimed on the various forums that I frequent. Interesting claim regarding the recent lack of quality sounds a he said she said sort of a deal as well as some of the huge mileage claims.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #23
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to royal purples web site (I know it’s there website) there a videos from speed TV and other places that measured hp gains on a dino. That makes me believe that the engine is running more efficiently. The more hp you have the easier it is to move the truck requiring less pedal.

Now whether or not royal is better than other synthetics is a whole different argument. But if the lubricity of synthetic is better then dyno how can you argue switching will not help transfer the energy to the ground.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
I have heard RP breaks down quickly. I have read a few places that say that heat affects it more so than most other oils....I think RP's quality has dropped significantly in the last few years.
thats what i was referring to in changing the oil more often
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #25
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
save your money...mobile 1 is just as good IMHO.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #26
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
If you go to royal purples web site (I know itís there website) there a videos from speed TV and other places that measured hp gains on a dino. That makes me believe that the engine is running more efficiently. The more hp you have the easier it is to move the truck requiring less pedal.

Now whether or not royal is better than other synthetics is a whole different argument. But if the lubricity of synthetic is better then dyno how can you argue switching will not help transfer the energy to the ground.
they also have a video on how well it coats parts and show it reduces the wear.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #27
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
save your money...mobile 1 is just as good IMHO.
If Mobil 1 is good enoegh for ZR1 Corvettes, 911 Turbos and BMW M5 V10s, then it's good enough for my Tacoma. If Royal Purple is better, I can't see how you would be able to tell without tearing down the engines and doing some serious scientific research. JMO.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
because of the nature of the oil dont you have to change purple royal more often as well, about every 2500 miles or so?
I have used RP since the first oil change and I have always changed the oil every 3k. but then I decided that i would go 4k and iam about 500mi from 4K from the las oil change and it definately fells diffrent (less pep) so there might be some truth to this. I'll be using Mobil 1 extended performance next time.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #29
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JT
Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
If Mobil 1 is good enoegh for ZR1 Corvettes, 911 Turbos and BMW M5 V10s, then it's good enough for my Tacoma. If Royal Purple is better, I can't see how you would be able to tell without tearing down the engines and doing some serious scientific research. JMO.
Yeah I agree with you they come factory filled with mobil1.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
I change my 96 tercel at 10k intervals, and my truck at 5k intervals. I know i can push the oil. If i was gona change at 3k why not just use reg $2 - $2.5 dino oil. The reason i use amsoil is to have a longer change interval. If you have a vehicle with an oil change indicator, which the oils and see when the car tells you to change. As long as i'm not burning oil in rediculous amounts and the dip stick says Full. Then i'm happy. Does it increase MPG? I don't know, driving habits are different. With AFE CAI, DTLH, and 265/70/16 Mt's I was able to get 19.8 mpg doing 70 with out using the cruise control, and just keeping my foot stationary on the pedal. The most I've ever gotten out of the tercel is 43 mpg, but i average 36-38.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #31
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly , I'm watching to see if one oil proves conclusively better than the others. My next oil change,should it be more synthetic, had better be good at $5+ per quart. I'm on mobil synth right now, I don't really know how good it is. I will say it feels smoother and for some reason, i havent stalled it once a month like i used to. (i'll admit to it lol) . To me , my "butt dyno" is still an opinion though, not a fact.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #32
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiiver View Post
To what do you attribute your diff failure? Do you think the oil had anything to do with it?
Turns out it was called bad due to TSB 0076-08. Excessive noise. The dealership didn't tell me until I picked it up. They replaced the 3rd member and added sound deadening pads to the cab. I think the original diff was never quite right and just got progressively worse over time.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 PM   #33
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
Could it be they subconsciously changed their driving habits to meet their expectations?
That's a definite possibility, the placebo affect. Hard to say for sure, though.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #34
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifuto View Post
The only reason why these car manufactures run mobil 1 from the factory is because mobil 1 sponsors their race teams and race development. Its apart of their sponsor contracts.

In any case, mobil 1 extended performance FTW. I change mine every 5,000 miles and before and after road trips over 1000 miles so its not worth it for me to spend the extra cash to run RP.
You my be right, but the oil is still good enough for those cars. Chevrolet, however, used Mobil 1 (I guess any synthetic would have worked) in the 1992 and up LT1 Corvette, because they didn't have a good place to put an oil cooler and found that they didn't need one with Mobil 1.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #35
life. It goes on.
johnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nice

Army:
Name: John
johnh7's Tacoma Gallery
i run royal purple in front and rear diff, 6sp tranny, transfer case and engine oil and my 07 tacoma dc runs a hell of allot better, including mpg increased 4-6mpg constant.

my driving habits haven't changed they might have gotten worse since i can feel all those ponies free.

i used to run castrol full synthetic in the engine and Lucas for the drive-train and i was getting maybe 15-16.5mpg for the tank now with RP in everything im getting 18.6-21mpg.

i started using it on my 07 4runner limited for the engine and it runs allot better too and in that one im getting nearly 25mpg per tank, i will be swapping out the rear diff oil to RP in the 4runner soon.

as soon as im done with my resto on my 72 fj40 RP will be used in that too and same with my supra...

I still do my oil changes every 3K miles and i still use the K&N oil filter on all my cars, so none of these variables have changed.

im sold on this but then again what i do with my vehicle is what i do regardless of what ppl do or say, the same should be for all of us. If you have engineers saying the numbers then run it for a period and document it and ur homework will either tell u to run it or not.

thats just my 2cents

John
Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
life. It goes on.
johnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nicejohnh7 is just really nice

Army:
Name: John
johnh7's Tacoma Gallery
Yes the color purple is a dye from the additives in there products. My motor oil drains out clear violet color.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #38
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, they are actually understating the numbers, by a lot! Since I switched to Royal Purple, my tank is getting fuller and fuller as I drive, it's annoying. I can go about a hundred miles until I have to stop and empty the tank.

Yeah, right, 6 mpg! (even 2 is BS). If what these "engineers" are saying was even partially true, automakers would be all over it and you'd get no car with anything but Royal Purple.
There are only two possibilities here imo: you made up the engineers story, or these engineers are making fun of you.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #39
Say no to Bro
kirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkirkofwimbo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clayton
kirkofwimbo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
Yep, they are actually understating the numbers, by a lot! Since I switched to Royal Purple, my tank is getting fuller and fuller as I drive, it's annoying. I can go about a hundred miles until I have to stop and empty the tank.

Yeah, right, 6 mpg! (even 2 is BS). If what these "engineers" are saying was even partially true, automakers would be all over it and you'd get no car with anything but Royal Purple.
There are only two possibilities here imo: you made up the engineers story, or these engineers are making fun of you.
Agreed. Johnh7 is either bad at math or iz innernet trollz
Old 06-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #40
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
I put the Royal Purple in my 2007 HD Ultra Classic. No noticable gain in milage of course, I did not change my air intake (KN), exhaust (Supertrapp) or ECM (Thundermax) go figure?
You must be lying, you lying lier! I mean: three engineers in a row, and now you doubt it?

Sorry.