Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

royal purple = increased MPG??

Old 09-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
royal purple = increased MPG??

a few of my customers stated they switched to royal purple in their vehicles and gained anywhere from 2-6 mpg. now mind you, these are reliability engineers that are around rotating equipment (refinery pumps) all day long, so they are not stupid, they know their stuff and how machines operate.

what do you guys think? anyone that has used this stuff in our tacomas?

edit: just to be clear...one engineer said he gained 5-6 mpg on his older camry, one said she gained 4mpg on her rav4, and the final engineer said he gained 2-3 on his tahoe. this data is coming from people who track trends and reliability of machinery at a local refinery, so they know their numbers!
Old 09-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Iron Beard
Kyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyouto42 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
Kyouto42's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Kyouto42 Send a message via MSN to Kyouto42

Mom's all over this, royal purple will go out of business for doing unpossible.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I've heard statements like this plenty of times, but I doubt it'll do anything more than say: "Mobil 1."
Old 09-14-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
I've heard statements like this plenty of times,
yea, im not one to believe all the hype of certain products, but these statements have come from some well respected engineers, and i know they are logical thinking people, so this is what give it merit...at least to me.

im still trying to decide if its worth $50 to test it out...
Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #5
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
When I drove a 1969 VW bug I changed the gear oil and motor oil to Royal Purple based on these claims, figured it'd be worth a test. I went from getting 28mpg to 34 mpg consistently. I believe that the trans lube helped out most, going to synthetic multigrade. Also, since it was aircooled (oil cooled) the synthetic oil caused less friction and heat which meant the motor ran more efficiently. I haven't used it on my modern cars since 6 quarts is a lot more than 2.5 quarts, and watercooled, modern motors probably benefit less from super oil.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
because of the nature of the oil dont you have to change purple royal more often as well, about every 2500 miles or so?
Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
lawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nicelawnrevenge is just really nice

lawnrevenge's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
because of the nature of the oil dont you have to change purple royal more often as well, about every 2500 miles or so?
No, IIRC like all other synthetics you have an extended change cycle. I don't do synthetics on my taco because I don't think it's worth it. I put synthetic mobil1 in my diff at 30k and now my truck is at the dealer getting a new diff at 54k. Thank God for warranties.

Before anyone has to ask, yes I put in the right weight, type and volume of gear oil in the diff.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #8
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I gained around 1 mpg when i went full synthetics, considering the variables , it could be 0-2 mpg gain.
If they swapped old oil an air filter... basicaly a tune up they got say 3 mpg BACK, and gained 1 more from synthetic.... there is 4 mpg. Keep in mind new dino oils are better than they were 10 yrs ago,so I would be skeptical of any claim like 2-6 mpg. The 6 is the bait... the 2 is an "honesty" line that give credibility. My old Dakota showed no gains btw.
I believe in synthetics, especially as a long term wear deterrent, but it hasn't seemed to live up to all the power and mpg claims i hear.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
...I would be skeptical of any claim like 2-6 mpg. The 6 is the bait... the 2 is an "honesty" line that give credibility.
no, one engineer said he gained 5-6 mpg on his older camry, one said she gained 4mpg on her rav4, and the final engineer said he gained 2-3 on his tahoe.

these are all real world gains from people who track trends and machinery performance and reliability for a living, so i trust their numbers!
Old 09-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
R.A.M.F (R@D A$$ MUTHA FU$KA)
RAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sir_Rad
RAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
these are all real world gains from people who track trends and machinery performance and reliability for a living, so i trust their numbers!

^
Just like when you answer others who ask. You've answered your own question. You've got 3 Real Live Engineers who've boldly stated positive praises.

Now you just got the try it out and tell us!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough4cyltacoma will become famous soon enough

Name: Reagan
4cyltacoma's Tacoma Gallery
idk about milage gains but it stays a little cooler and in the temp
Old 09-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #12
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Amsoil or royal purple are very quality products. Yes they cost a lot more then Mobil 1 but if you search around on craigslist you'll be able to find amsoil dealers/preferred customers who'll sell you a few quarts for cheaper then retail. I use amsoil in my vehicles and also for my coworkers vehicles. I paided the same price for amoil xl, as mobil 1.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrayzian View Post
You've answered your own question. You've got 3 Real Live Engineers who've boldly stated positive praises.

Now you just got the try it out and tell us!
yea, just wondering if anyone here has noticed a difference w/ our specific trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05sctaco View Post
I use amsoil in my vehicles and also for my coworkers vehicles.
did you notice any mileage gains?
Old 09-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I dont want to be mean, but the whole thing sounds like a commercial!
Like:......Important poeple we need to respect and not question... buzz words like trust/for a living/scientificy analytical people..etc. Not to mention you know what we want and are telling us its here. While I'm convinced synthetics are better ( I'm using them btw), I dont see a COST BENEFIT over dino fuel, no ones toyota broke because they used quality dino oil,my dads 200k+ corolla for example. If I had 3 or so engineers showing me this, I would'nt ask anyone on TW (your opinions are not irrelevant and not what i'm implying btw) for their opinion on it, I would try it to and tell em what you found out.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #15
copernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the roughcopernicus is a jewel in the rough

copernicus's Tacoma Gallery
Could it be they subconsciously changed their driving habits to meet their expectations?
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i guess we need someone to do the scientific method and figure out if this is really true? ill use the royal purple at my next oil change and see what happens but that wont be for another 2500 miles
Old 09-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
vbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shedvbibi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vbibi's Tacoma Gallery
The way I see it is this: If there was any difference in the MPG gain,
THE MANUFACTURER WOULD HAD MADE THE CLAIM ON THE LABEL.
Just my 2c
take care
vbibi
Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
Man, I dont want to be mean, but the whole thing sounds like a commercial!
now reading it it kind of does, didnt mean to.

basically my question comes down to this: anyone use royal purple in their 4.0 tacos or fjs? in my original post, there was a range in increased mileage, just trying to see if anyone here has any first hand experience w/ RP in the taco engin, thats all.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard RP breaks down quickly. I have read a few places that say that heat affects it more so than most other oils....I think RP's quality has dropped significantly in the last few years.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
I put the Royal Purple in my 2007 HD Ultra Classic. No noticable gain in milage of course, I did not change my air intake (KN), exhaust (Supertrapp) or ECM (Thundermax) go figure?