Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double Cab Roof Rack for an Access Cab?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Since I probably will end up cutting the rack, I've been searching for a used rack, or one for a good price.

I have not found one yet, but I'm still searching, and do want to try this.

I still do not know if the access cab has the mounts under the rubber strips.

GA
Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #22
adkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the rough

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
This is the best price I could find so far.
http://toyotapartspeople.com/searchp...desc=Roof+Rack

There are two tabs under the drip molding, I assume this is how they attach.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #23
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

We know it will not fit as is, but we are interested in cutting or modifying it to fit.

Thanks

GA
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #24
adkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the rough

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
I agree as is won't work, but I think they can be modified. I'm ordering a set and will let you know the results.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #25
sbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to allsbeau1960 is a name known to all

Name: Scott
sbeau1960's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sbeau1960
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleyTRD View Post
Im sure its been answered but the rack will not fit the AC.

either of the big rack companies will fit tho

i have a thule rack for sale, month old if anybody is intrested. it will fit the AC and is removeable

the yakima racks work too
In the market for a Thule rack, had just been researching them this afternoon when I ran across this post. PM sent.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #26
wildtsail is on a distinguished road
wildtsail's Tacoma Gallery
Need a roofrack?

I have a Thule roofrack system I took off my Nissan Maxima after using for a couple months.
It's the same footpack, the 400XT as the tacoma.
I'll sell them to you at 50% off the new price.
I can get you a fit kit for the tacoma at dealer cost i'm guessing $40ish.
I can also get you the load bars at dealer cost, I have 78"s on there now and can get you shorter ones.
Email me if interested Todd Dot Riccardi at gmail dot com
Old 04-01-2009, 06:01 AM   #27

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
We know it will not fit as is, but we are interested in cutting or modifying it to fit.

Thanks

GA
I got the factory rack today. It looks like I'll have to cut 12" out of the center. The rack is completely flat in the center so it shouldn't be a problem. Also it will require drilling holes in the roof. The DC has weldnuts buried under the ditch molding. I"ll just install my own and seal them up good. I probably won't get to this until next week, I'll post up with pictures when I get under way.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:05 AM   #28
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
awesome cant wait to see how it turns out!
Old 04-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #29
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
How do you plan to reconnect the rack sections after you cut out the ~12"? Also like to see detailed pics how you drill and seal the holes. Good luck!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #30

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Since the housing is an ABS of some sort, I'll probably epoxy some sort of patch from the inside. I'll let you know what I come up with. If it comes out real nice I'll take orders.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #31
She's Kickass!

Great! Looking forward to the finished product. Good luck!

GA
Old 04-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #32
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Something like a piece of hardwood (maybe a dowel?) whittled down to a shape that approximates a press fit with a few inch ovelap on both sides of the cut and slathered with epoxy should do the trick nicely. Anxious to see the roof drilling.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:36 PM   #33

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Ok here is the finished product.

First I'll explain it:
I removed 12.75 inches from the center of the rack. You will see how I rejoined it right on one of the recesses.

I then cut 4 patches out of the remaining pieces to use on the inside. I glued the sections together as well as embedded galvanized wire from some fence to add some strength. I used the two part epoxy you'll see in the pictures I got from my local autobody supply house.

While the glue was a bit flexible I set it back down on the roof to make sure it formed well. I left it there overnight to dry.

I then sanded it down with 800 grit and applied a black bumper and trim polish (not pictured) in a shoe polish type applicator to bring the shine back.

To install I removed the headliner and drilled through the roof as the access cab does not have the factory installed weldbolts. The roof rack came with some caulking type washers that do a nice job of sealing it up but to be sure I siliconed all bolts again. I just came back from the car wash and no leaks.

Hopefully the pictures will answer any questions.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Court110...eat=directlink
Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
VERY nice job!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #35
Mainland Newfie
mainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud ofmainland_newfie has much to be proud of
mainland_newfie's Tacoma Gallery
the last guy to respond to whose got an indigo ink truck has the roof rack on his access cab
Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #36

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainland_newfie View Post
the last guy to respond to whose got an indigo ink truck has the roof rack on his access cab
That was me.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #37
She's Kickass!

WOW!! That looks great!! I think it looks better than on the DC.

I knew it could be done, but I still don't think I have the guts to drill through the roof. The main thing I'm afraid of is it possibly not fitting due to my sunroof, and then wind noise with the sunroof.

Great job, though.

GA
Old 04-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #38
My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!
rmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shedrmb_crew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Ryan
rmb_crew's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome dude. I really want to do this now!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:11 PM   #39

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
WOW!! That looks great!! I think it looks better than on the DC.

I knew it could be done, but I still don't think I have the guts to drill through the roof. The main thing I'm afraid of is it possibly not fitting due to my sunroof, and then wind noise with the sunroof.

Great job, though.

GA
There is some noise but not bad, although I don't have a sunroof. Drilling the roof really is no big deal, just need to thorough on sealing the holes. I want to add the sunroof, so I can let you know on the noise. Speaking of holes in the roof the sunroof is much bigger.