Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double Cab Roof Rack for an Access Cab?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

gavonder's Tacoma Gallery
Double Cab Roof Rack for an Access Cab?

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to fit the Toyota roof rack onto an Access Cab. I know it is longer, but is it because of the folding rails or just because of the length of the cab. If it's just because of the rails, I'm wondering if it can be cut to fit the access cab because I don't care if the rails will not fold.

I have not been able to really look at one, so if anyone has one let me know what you think. Post some pictures, please.

Thanks,
GA
Old 02-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
She's Kickass!
gavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to beholdgavonder is a splendid one to behold

Anybody??
Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavonder View Post
Anybody??
Sorry but I can't help you, but I have been wanting a roof rack but don't know if I could get one installed on my cab without drilling?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Quote:
Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to fit the Toyota roof rack onto an Access Cab. I know it is longer, but is it because of the folding rails or just because of the length of the cab. If it's just because of the rails, I'm wondering if it can be cut to fit the access cab because I don't care if the rails will not fold.

I have not been able to really look at one, so if anyone has one let me know what you think. Post some pictures, please.

Thanks,
GA
I could measure mine tomorrow if that would help.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Go with Thule or Yakima for the Access Cab. They're solid, look good, and don't require any holes in the truck. I have a Thule setup and have run down the highway at 80mph with 2 14' kayaks without a problem.

I'd recommend getting the air deflector for the front of the rack. I installed one right from the start but pulled it off for a fuel mileage test. That lasted about 10 miles before the howling got on my nerves. It's worth losing 1 mpg for the sake of sanity.

Thule's deflector is symmetrical which is nice if you don't feel like having a billboard on top of your truck. Just turn the thing around and it's a plain black plate at the front of the rack.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
She's Kickass!

Thanks, everyone for replying. I have a Leer cap on my truck with a Thule Aero Bar rack - check out my pictures. I am looking for options to put something on the cab, because if I carry a long piece of trim or a ladder, I just wanted something to keep it off of the cab.

I might have to call Thule directly, but the dealer in my area told me that they do not make an Aero bar set up for my truck. They do make the old style square bar, but I wanted it to look the same. I just thought the Toyota rack might work and look good.
I'll check out the other brands.

Thanks again,

GA
Old 02-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rig, but if you come up goose egg, try Yakima, I ran into the same problem (different truck) and they had one.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks, everyone for replying. I have a Leer cap on my truck with a Thule Aero Bar rack - check out my pictures. I am looking for options to put something on the cab, because if I carry a long piece of trim or a ladder, I just wanted something to keep it off of the cab.

I might have to call Thule directly, but the dealer in my area told me that they do not make an Aero bar set up for my truck. They do make the old style square bar, but I wanted it to look the same. I just thought the Toyota rack might work and look good.
I'll check out the other brands.

Thanks again,

GA
Thule's new 750 foot pack will not work with aerobars on a Tacoma. The older 700 aero series does work with areobats I am pretty sure. I just looked on-line and Thule's new website blows, (The website shows no support for their older products) but I have an older dealer catalogue at work, I'll double check when I go into work on Sunday, and I'll let you know if I am right and the exact model numbers of what you will need to get your local dealer to get for you.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #9
She's Kickass!

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

GA
Old 02-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the help.

GA
Ok, this was not an easy task as it is not directly listed in the fit guide this way, but I have extensive knowledge of Thule rack systems and this is what I have come up with.

You would need a 400 XTR Rapid Aero Foot Pack

A 2160 Fit Kit

And part number 763 which is 150cm alluminum aero load bars

That's really the information that you were looking for and likely the only part you care about, but you may want to print out the rest of this to take to your local dealer so he can see how I came to this conclusion and realize that with a little thinking outside the box you can in-fact have what you want.

According to the 2007 fit guide the XTR aero system was not available for the Tacoma because the Tacoma requires a 58" load bar, and in 2007 the aero bars stopped at 53". (In 2008 Thule has changed foot systems all together and is no longer listing the xt or xtr systems in it's website, but there are plenty of each still in the pipeline.)

However, the fit kit, (The rubber pad and door frame clamps) for the 400xt foot pack (for square load bars) and the 400xtr (for the aero load bars) is exactly the same. So that is where i got the fit kit number. Since the square bar foot pack was usable on the tacoma, and they are the same except for the load bar that they use that means the 400xtr aero system will mount to the Tacoma and secure down using the 2160 fit kit.

That is where the 2008 catalogue comes in. In 08 they have released the 150 cm (59") aero load bars.

So if you combine that with the 400 xtr foot pack and 2160 fit kit, then you have a fully functional aero bar system for the cab of a Tacoma.

None of these items are available as a "half pack" though so it means that you are going to be buying enough parts to put two load bars on the roof of the cab. If that is what you were planning to do, then that's cool, if not, I am sure that there is someone on this board or one of the others that is looking to do exactly what you want to do and can likely sell the other set to them.

Don't forget to post up some pictures after you get it all installed.

Regards,
Old 02-10-2008, 02:30 PM   #11
She's Kickass!

Thank you so much!! I am going to try to check on this this week. I will certainly let you know.

Thanks again,

GA
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 AM   #12
Wherever I May Roam
SteelCity will become famous soon enoughSteelCity will become famous soon enough

Navy: Navy Corpsman, LT, FMF (RET), U.S. Marines 4th LSB, Shock-Trauma Platoon
SteelCity's Tacoma Gallery
Factory toyota rack will NOT work with an access cab. I have a double cab and installed the roof rack myself. The instructions specified that it would only fir the double cab, however there are plenty of options out there if you want a rack for your access cab.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
She's Kickass!

Steelcity,

Do you think it would be possible to cut the factory rack to length and make it work?

Maverick,

I did buy the Thule setup you described. It fits, but it is over an inch higher than my cap rack so it does not work for me. In my opinion, it does not look very good either. Sooo... I am selling all of the parts on ebay now. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Thanks everyone.

GA
Old 03-07-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Towing Guru

Gavonder,

I appoligize. I never even considered that different mounting feet would be different heights.

I am un-sure if the Toyota factory rack could be cut to fit an access cab or not.

I have just come up with another option for you that would solve the height difference (assuming that the cap and the cab are exactly the same height)

Thule sells the track system that is on the roof of your cap seperately as well. I didn't consider this as an option when you asked originally because I have never been a big fan of drilling into the roof of a vehicle to mount a rack.

Here are the part numbers to do it this way if you were so inclined to try it again.

Thule TB-60 top track linky

Thule TK1 Tracker kit

Thule 430 Tracker foot pack

You could use the load bars that you already bought, or since you can mount the rails inboard somewhat you could use a shorter set of load bars if you would prefer.

This would essentially put exactly what is on the roof of your cap onto the cab of your truck. Therefor, assuming that the cab and the cap are the same height, and not counting any curve of the cab of the truck it would solve the height difference.

Ofcourse, unless it was the height difference that made you think it was ugly, this does not solve the "looks" issue.

Again feel free to disregard, I'm just still trying to help.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:12 PM   #15
She's Kickass!

Maverick,

First, I want to say that I am in no way upset with what you offered. How would you have known? It seemed like that would work. I really appreciate you going to the effort.

I will measure the heights of each (cab & cap) and check into this option. Although, I'm not sure about drilling into the roof.

Again, Thanks

GA
Old 02-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
UNDESTRUCTABLE
Imagine7721 has a spectacular aura aboutImagine7721 has a spectacular aura aboutImagine7721 has a spectacular aura about

Army: OIF 07-09, 09-11, OND 2011 3rd Battalion, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division
Name: Casey
Imagine7721's Tacoma Gallery
i'm a bit late to this party, but did you ever find what you were looking for?
I have a 06 TRD Sport Access cab and looking at a roof rack.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 AM   #17
She's Kickass!

I did not. As a matter of fact, I still have the fit kit for that rack that I never sold. I gave up on the aftermarket racks. They either don't line up with what I have on my cap, or there are just ugly.

I am still looking for a OEM roof rack kind of cheap, because I want to see if I can cut it to fit.

This http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tml#post333609 is a great idea, but there is no way I am going to drill into my roof.

If I do get something set up, I will let you know.

GA
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #18
Dirty White Boy
Marc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shedMarc M is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
Marc M's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Marc M
Quote:
I am still looking for a OEM roof rack kind of cheap, because I want to see if I can cut it to fit.
You could probably shorten the roof rails and get it to fit, but you would have to leave the crossbars full length and would never be able to stow them. They do come off though if you didn't want them out all the time.

My question would be, are the threaded inserts in the roof to bolt the rack to. I would think not, but that doesn't mean you couldn't drill through and bolt them down.

Marc M
Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
She's Kickass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
You could probably shorten the roof rails and get it to fit, but you would have to leave the crossbars full length and would never be able to stow them. They do come off though if you didn't want them out all the time.

My question would be, are the threaded inserts in the roof to bolt the rack to. I would think not, but that doesn't mean you couldn't drill through and bolt them down.

Marc M
Yea, that's kind of what I thought. I don't mind the idea of them not folding. I also thought about not having the fittings to mount to, but I will check that out.

Thanks,

GA
Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #20
adkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the roughadkevos is a jewel in the rough

adkevos's Tacoma Gallery
Have you gone anywhere with this idea yet? I am thinking on ordering up and seeing about modifying. I like you don't like any of the the other options.