1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

My first observations of the 2010 tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NetMonkey, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    so i have to take back half of a gripe that i had with the truck. in my original post, i said that many of the controls were not lit up. well.... i just found the dashboard light dial. and, well... it was turned down half way. so i turned it all the way up and... *bling* ... most of the controls lit up :) imagine that :)

so, the only controls that are still not lit up is the 4x4 selector dial, the door lock switch, and 3 window switches (the drivers window switch is lit up).

so its even better now :)

2. Sep 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 4X4 Access cab TRD OR
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    Coming from an 02 BlaZeR2, so was driving a somewhat smaller vehicle as my DD, though I drive an explorer and an f150 at work. So far in the few days i've had it, heres my thoughts. I have had very mixed impressions. The biggest hurdle is a vibration issue that needs to be resolved,a s it is, after driving it back home (little over 1.5 hours driving the route I took) my arms were numb from the vibration. If the dealership CAN fix it, the only other serious issue is the incredibly uncomfortable headrest that absolutely has to be done something about. Right now, I'd give this vehicle about a 3 out of 10, as it stands its completly unsuitable for anything but occassioanl short commutes. fix the vibration issue and I'd bump it to a 6 and fix the headrest I'd go 7.5 or maybe 8 right now. its really hard to be objective as it stands.

Power/MPG: getting about 17.6 on my daily commute, was getting 17.4 on my blazer. not even 300 miles on it though compared to 87k on my blazer so after breaking in it might change a bit. IIRC, power to weight ratio isn't as good with the 4.0 v6 in the tacoma to the 4.3 V6 in the blazer (remember its a 2 door blazer with widestance offroad package vs TRD offroad) and the tacoma is a much bigger overall vehicle. that said, it lacks a little oomph that I miss from the blazer. I REALLY didn't want to move up to a fullsize truck, but I would have been very happy to have a V8 or a little extra power somewhere in the tacoma. Now, the vibration issue may also be affecting things here, so we'll see what happens. I had been looking at a supercharger and if the vibration gets fixed I think I'll still go ahead with that. I can't say I really find the tacoma UNDERPOWERED, it does what its supposed to, but theres also not a lot of extra there.

Controls: Some of the offroad controls are obscured by the steering wheel and I keep knocking the shifter into 4 from D. I'd have liked the armrest on the door to be a few inches higher, and the console to be a little higher and longer. Gauges are easy to read and it handles nicely. throttle is pretty responsive, Brakes are responsive. Would have liked an installed towing controller but oh well, no big deal to add. the clock/airbag strip does irk me as wasted space. Overall its not a horrible layout, but not a superb one for me (I could say that about most trucks on the market right now though) Lack of heated mirrors but the inclusion of the backup camera still stumps me. the bucket seat itself would be nice to have height/tilt options but otherwise is comfortable aside form the headrest. Seriously, had I test driven any of the tacoma's I tried for longer, I probably would not have bought one because of the headrest.

The Tacoma "Look"/Community: Really haven't noticed it around here, but the midwest is not a hotbed of tacoma activity. It is however, the sharpest looking truck out there.

Gripes from other tacoma owners:
    Transmission shifting (lag): Haven't noticed this at all

Engine surging at a stop: Haven't noticed this either.

Brake Peddal: Brakes are firm, no complaints. Not exactly hard on brakes though.

Radio/Bluetooth: stock radio, if the vibration gets fixed I will be replacing it with a nav/dvd console anyway.

Conclusion: Right now, I have real issues with this truck. If you can get past the headrest though, theres a lot of good features on these trucks besides being dead sexy. The vibration thing is mine, but if they can't fix it, I don't see me keeping this truck more then a few months, it will also be my first, last and only toyota. The things they did do right were the fit and finish in the cab, a nice control setup and what should be a fairly comfortable setup. Performance wise, it felt better then many of its competitors, but more power certainly would not go unappreciated. The lack of basic features like MPG readings and heated mirrors though is certainly strange as these are basic options on many vehicles and in the case of heated mirrors are a valuable safety feature for many of us. With all the other little details, these should have been right there in front. I strongly recommend anyone looking at buying one get it out on the interstate and drive it for a half hour + then drive it back through the country for the test drive. the seat and headrest could very easily be a deal breaker for people, so I strongly recommend trying them out for more then a short test drive.

3. Sep 16, 2009 at 9:43 PM
    NetMonkey

NetMonkey [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Geogetown, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010, 4x4, DC, off-road, shortbed, automatic
    Toytec Ultimate Lift @ 3", Mickey Thompson MTZ's 285/75/16, Moto Metal 955b, rear 2" ALL, Marlin Crawler sliders
    really? headrests knock it down 2 points? i find the seats; including the head rests comfortable.

i guess it pays to really research and test the vehicle before you buy :)
    i spent a year looking at these trucks before buying and i am completely happy :).

4. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    eddieEndo

eddieEndo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Fullerton, CA
    Vehicle:
    Scion FRS

work on mine too lets trade bumpers :rolleyes:

5. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:03 PM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad w/Tow package. LEER 100XQ topper, painted grill surround, 08 cup holders, scangauge II
    just my opinion of the first few days, but the headrests are incredibly uncomfortable, and I found myself having a headache after about a half hour of driving from the position of my head and neck. reversing the headrest left my head feeling completely unsupported. i know for some people the headrest is not an issue, but for some of us it is. Unfortuantly, I never took one for a long term test drive, so didn't catch that, at most I had thought it would be a minor annoyance. Had I caught it, I still might have bought a tacoma, but it would have given a lot more weight to the going back to a ford or to a nissan. It is a fixable issue, but its also a trend that companies are going to it seems, which does not bode well. Considering it makes the prospect of spending long trips in this truck unpleasent to say the least and even as a DD this week, i've found myself having a headache on getting home, I'd say its certainly worth at least two points and I am probably being generous and will be something I have to remedy if I plan to keep this truck (my plan had been at least 10 yrs with this, and I have been looking for a while at options to replace the blazer so I wouldn't call this an impulse buy by any means). As far as the vibrations go, it really does worry me because in my research, I am find that toyota so far does not have a good track record of fixing many of the vibration complaints beyond a wheel rebalance, which this is not.

6. Sep 16, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Nice comparison EAmonkey, I agree with what you find about the truck. I have an 08 and would have loved to have the back-up camera.

I have the most of same gripes, but I love the truck. It's my first truck. I tow a small 16' travel trailer with it, and it has plenty of power to do that. I love passing minivans going up an 8% grade pulling my trailer.:D

I think it can be more refined, but it is a truck, afterall. The lack of heated mirrors is definately an huge minus. I know I can do the heated mirror mod, but Tacomas should just come with them. I wish the rear vent window was powered. It should also come with bed lights, and a lighted 4X4 switch. I can't believe the switch has a socket for a bulb, but is missing a bulb, difuser, and wiring. Did someone at Toyota figure they can save 5 cents by leaving out the bulb? That's just cheezie.

There are a few more things Toyota could have paid more attention to, but overall, it has enough power, good handling, and is the best looking truck on the road.

7. Sep 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    These headrest things are the only complaints about them I've ever heard. I don't think I read a single complaint about them until this week.

Tons of vehicles are getting active headrests these days, and believe it or not the ones in the tacoma sit further back than they do in other cars ive been in.

Also about
    "I can't say I really find the tacoma UNDERPOWERED, it does what its supposed to, but theres also not a lot of extra there."

What I found coming from my last vehicle is that there is more than enough power to spare but the Tacoma is tuned so you have to be more aggressive on the throttle to make the power to come. Its very nice in that it makes it far easier to keep your grip in certain offroad situations.

I mean, the thing has a 0-60 in +/- 7 seconds which is faster than any other truck in its class. It goes when you floor it, but its not tuned so that you barely push the throttle and feel like you're launching forward. Our 4 cylinder outback is like that, driving around town it feels sporty as hell and launches forward like its weightless but if you floor it you don't get anywhere much faster.

8. Sep 17, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Slygrin

Slygrin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Moses Lake, WA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab V6 SR5 Timberland Mica
    De-badged, Foglights on anytime, Tailgate hose clamps, GPS semi-permanent mount, WeatherTech mats, Front mounted hitch, Blacked out front emblem, Color matched grille, Running boards, Bed mat, UWS low profile toolbox, Scanguage II, Prestige Alarm w/remote start, Snowsport snow plow
    I've had my '10 Tacoma 4L AT Access cab for almost 2 weeks. I have very few issues. It replaced a '99 4cyl Tacoma. At first I had issues with my bumping the shifter into 4th gear, but I was used to a manual transmission and was keeping my hand on the shifter. Once I stopped doing that it hasn't been an issue. I've no problems with the headrests, don't touch them unless I lean my head back, which I never really do.

Some have complained of the 4wd selector and it's location and/or lack of lighting. It didn't take long to get used to where it is and the orientation of the switch and function. Can check and change it without looking.

Power is great and it is more comfortable to drive then the wife's Corolla.

The only things I want or plan on changing are a few cosmetic things.

9. Sep 17, 2009 at 9:43 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Congrats on the purchase. It's been a month and a half with my 09 and I love it so far. I was originally looking at Titans myself, but concluded I had absolutely no need for a full size, nor the nearly $7k higher price tag on the Pro-4x crew cab model I was looking at.

As far as headrests, they don't bothere me mainly cause I don't actually rest my head against them when I drive. Power wise, definitely has sufficient power to me. i was impressed with how quick it is for being a truck. Get on it and it goes. A buddy of mine used to have an 05 Blazer ZR2, and while I never drove it(so I guess this opinion is meaningless) it didn't feel like it was really quicker than the Tacoma. They have 40hp less than the Taco but naturally there's a weight difference there I'd imagine. I've seen 4x4 Taco's test around 6.9 sec to 60 which is pretty good for what it is. Definitely quick enough for me for a truck and I'm coming from an 07 Impala SS that ran to 60 in 5.6 sec.

Slygrin, I also found myself bumping the shifter into 4 for the first couple weeks. Not really a problem anymore.

10. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    @WOLF13
    Who uses a headrest while driving, I mean are you half comatose? Weird......
    And above 20 MPH, the Taco will walk on a blazer...... Over 9 seconds to 60 for a blazer, 7ish for a Taco. If it's not quick enough, use the pedal on the right....

11. Sep 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    flatlander

flatlander Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 DC-LB 2WD Prerunner V6 Auto

Same here. Can not see the radio display with my fishing glasses on. Sukz!

12. Sep 18, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    altarossco

altarossco Active Member

Member:
    San Ramon, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 double cab pre runner
    I can't see the radio call numbers on my 2010 with sunglasses on. I will probably figure out why in a few days.

13. Sep 19, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Same here, but I love Costas way more than the POS radio...just hoping the in-dash dvd player I want does not cause the same problem :eek:

14. Sep 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Adjust your seat so that it is fairly straight up and down. If you drive with the seatback reclined much you probably won't feel the problem that people are reporting. Lots of people with back or shoulder problems will drive with the seatback much more vertical.

Now, sit with your back straight--actual good posture, not slumping. You will probably notice that your back does not touch the seat from about kidneys on up, because the headrest is angled forward so severely that it props you up by your head.

I don't have a problem with it in normal driving--I recline the seat a bit anyway. But my wife does, so we are working on either modified headrests or an upper back seat pad to fix the problem.

We test drove quite a few '09 vehicles from a variety of manufacturers, and almost all of them had these awful headrests. We did not run into that problem at all the last time we were shopping in '03.

15. Sep 19, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    An LCD display works by using polarizing filters.

Your glasses are probably polarized to reduce glare.

If polarized filters are not lined up, then light that passes through the first one will be mostly blocked by the second one.

So, if you want to see your radio display, you can rotate your sunglass lenses...probably 45-90 degrees will do it.

16. Sep 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    I've got a similar problem with my '09. Did yours get fixed?

17. Sep 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    wolf13

wolf13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    IL
    Vehicle:
    sort of. the dealer had it for over a day. they claimed they couldn't find anything at all wrong. at idle, they said the rough vibration was normal because of the low rpm's. while with the service guy I took on the road and had drive it when I dropped it off (this was right after driving it 1.5 hours back to the dealership), he did notice a vibration; the others who drove it later claimed they didn't. They did check the driveline and engine/transmission mounts and didn't find anything according to the report. when I got it back though, it was signifigantly improved, I don't notice anything near the extreme vibration I had before. theres still a little, but that could easily be tire issues, but its not the arm numbing vibration from before by any means and it actually seems to be smoothing out a little more as I get some miles on it.

Before taking it back to the dealership, I had taken two trips 1.5 hours plus. both times I was completly numb in the arms getting out of the vehicle and could feel it in my legs as well. after picking it up, i've driven it one 1.5 hour trip, and a there and back again trip of 2.5 hours each direction and haven't had any real issue at all. They must have tightened something by accident or done something, because its not anything like before. Still a rough vibration at idle, but thats survivable.

18. Sep 26, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    pokeng

pokeng Married With Children

Member:
    North of Austin/West of Nashville
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Off Road 4x4
    Foldacover G4 Elite, Deflapped, TRD exhaust, Webasto Hollandia sunroof, Katzkin leather seats, Dynolock, Sockmonkey decals, oem bed extender, all-weather mats and bed mat
    Mine seems to be engine vibes only. I can feel it it while revving the engine to 1500-2000 rpms in park/neutral. I feel it on the highway as well. Any trip longer than 30 minutes and my arms are numb from the fingers to elbows. I'll take mine in and see what happens. Thanks.

19. Sep 26, 2009 at 11:15 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Unfortunately, the new active head restraint systems are not vehicle specific to the Tacoma. You will encounter the issue with pretty much every new '09 or '10 vehicle on the market.

20. Sep 26, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Wow that headrest bit is new to me... honestly I never ever use them unless I'm stretching my neck out or just changing posture for 15-20sec to get back to a correct posture... I can't see how you could possible ever be comfortable using ANY headrest keeping your head on it. Plus I'm always actively moving my head around, checking side mirrors, doing a full on visual confirmation in blind spots for lane merges... ect. You can't really do that with your head back... To each their own though I guess, just doesn't make sense to me.

For the vibrations, having the OR package you have the BFG Rugged Fails... same tires I had. My truck was vibrating so bad I even considered trying to get my old car back from the dealer after they couldn't seem to do crap for it. The dealer (camelback toyota in phoenix btw) refused to fix it saying it was 'normal.' Long story short, I took it to Discount Tire, they performed a road force balance test... they failed miserably. I got them returned under BFG's warranty, got some BFG All Terrain KO's and 99% of that vibration is gone. Still some very slight vibration, but it's exactly as expected from an AT tire. Also, the dealer said the balance was perfect :thumbsup:

Take it down to Discount or a local trusted tire dealer and have them check it out.

Products Discussed in

To Top