1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

clunk when disengaging out of 4WD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by OffroadToy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ....yes the diffs are open. But that doesn't change the fact that the front and rear tires on each side of the vehicle need to move at different RPM in the event of a turn and are powered at the same RPM by the engine.

Feel free to correct me, but I believe open diffs alleviate the side-to-side issue, but do nothing to correct the front-to-back problem in the event of part time 4wd. You need a center differential for that.

I don't disagree with following Toyota's recommendations on maintenance - but if you're going to do it, you're best doing it on the proper surfaces. I would say performing this "preventative" maintenance on dry pavement is probably a wash.

Toyota states their monthly recommendation is to ensure lubing of all the 4wd equipment. The only thing that's not really spinning in 2hi is the transfer case...the rear diff is powered and the front diff is spinning along...so they're both in the oil...

Edit: And those ten stupid things are all good advice. You should keep readin.

2. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    now settle down j.
    im just going by my past 20 years with my three 4x4 toyota pick-ups and two 4-runners. have done this with all of them and never had a problem. I think i will stick with it for my current 09. Plus if you live in a city like i do, we dont have beaches and woods with trails. our 4x4ing is mostly the winter snow

3. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm not dis-settled. I think you're losing/assuming something in interwebs translation. :p

Far be it for me to tell you what to do with your vehicles. I'm just tryin' to edumacate. I sure hope you haven't been using your five trucks wrong for 20+ years!

4. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Roger that! and remember, never assume.
    because you'l make a ass out of u and me. hahaha
    Happy Trails j

5. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Same :D

And just for future reference, the author of that 4x4 website has a pretty impressive resume. I tend to take his advice to heart, seeing as how he's consulted on development of many 4wd vehicles for major companies (Mercedes, VW, etc.) and trained their engineers. Seems to know his stuff.

6. Sep 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy [OP] old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Well, thanks for all your replies. I've never had a yota with this 4WD switch, and just trying to learn the best possibly sequence for smooth operation. I've read some say the more you use 4WD, the quieter the disengagement becomes as the gears get more use to each other...we'll see.
    As far as putting it in 4WD once a month like the manual states, I also think it might be a bit overkill. I remember after purchasing a new 4Runner back in 1988, that manual said the same thing. I probably used the 4WD system an average of once every few months over the years I owned that truck, and after close to 300,000 miles I never ever had an issue with the 4WD system. I had to lock the hubs in back then, so it seems that with these new trucks with the front spinning all the time, if you engage the system at a longer interval than every month you should be fine... I just try to make a habit of anytime I'm on dirt or snow to go into 4WD, even if it's just for a few miles.

Products Discussed in

To Top